Sony servers are restarting in:
They should be back up in approximately .

Looting -- The official thread for discussing the loot system. Updated 18th March, 2013.

"
Vooodu wrote:
"
Deux wrote:

If you want to play pubs then you should be forced to make friends. Noone is spoon feeding you loot, the group fought together to kill the mobs, so it should be a FFA on drops outside of the timer you already have in place.

Current system is fine.

Instanced loot is just not needed. If you have a problem getting loot then make friends, how hard is it?

Or you could play solo, boom no loot problems.

so you have options, stop trying to change a core game mechanic.

Stop TROLLING...

Oops... I mean stop making sense man...lol.

But seriously. You could tatoo that shit in their eye lids and slip them some sleeping pills and they would never, ever get the message.

WHAT THE HELL!?!?... Make friends? Play alone? What does this even mean?

Naw,, i want to go into public games and force everyone i don't know to do things the way i want. OPTIONS IZ the COOLNEZ!

I play solo probably 60% of the time. I play with friends 39% of the time. I join pubs 1% of the time to help with content I'm struggling with. I personally feel those numbers are out of whack, not to mention the reason I'm joining PUB groups.

But hey, that's my opinion. I'm here because I care about the longevity of the game, and if playing in Pick Up Groups is that unpopular I worry about it. If the issue comes down to something that easily fixable (and hell, maybe changing the loot options isn't the best way to go about it, but it's one of them) then I see no reason to not at least try to civilly discuss it.
"
Devilnaut wrote:
think that Demons Souls and Dark Souls difficulty options is the right example to use, because to me this is one clear case where the option WOULD cheapen the game.

No. It wouldn't. Also, it's not a clear case. Dark Souls is a single player game and the player should be able to pick how hard he/she wants it. For example, if Dark Souls had a difficulty HARDER than what I started with I would've been happy. I never got such a choice. If you wanted to make the game harder the player would have to restrict him/herself on purpose.

Having options are almost always a good thing to implement unless there is a possibility that it will separate the community too much. However Path of Exile is actually hurting itself with many different limitations. Looting is just one of them in my opinion.
IGN: Mibuwolf
"
Kalriostraz wrote:
"
aaronsan wrote:
Fine not EVERYONE. He was using exaggeration for effect, and you are taking it literally in order to nitpick.

I see no need to complicate things in the way you suggest but I trust in GGG.

-Aaron

Exaggerating for effect?

"
Vooodu wrote:
...no one would play it...

"
Vooodu wrote:
...Why would i want to play public FFA games and fight over loot if i could just have my own simple drops...

Seems his point rests on that "exaggeration". Again, unless I'm missing something here. This is why I ask (which I still see no one answer) Why do you enjoy FFA? Why do you want to see it be the only option? Everything I've seen leads me to believe the answer is: "Because I enjoy being able to grief other players." Am I wrong? If so, give me the correct answer.

I don't want to see it as the only option. So it's a false question with no answer. Well, gee, unless you're calling the current system FFA.

And grief? I'll tell you who gives grief: the party leader in a "ninja=kick" who protects all HIS items but doesn't give a DAMN about yours.

I just want to collect loot and not be hassled. I fight, I'm not egregious, but I should get to go after that shiny when I feel like it. Loot timer is all you need.

Many of us are complaining because so MANY people who think more as you do are DOMINATING the farm area games with their "ninja = kick" games and it's hard to join a full game without that stipulation. And then you don't know how harsh the leader will be (it certainly varies) or if he will even protect you, or just himself.

"
Even Vooodu admits he doesn't look for loot in public games. I don't see why you should be forced to farm solo, or play in a private party to progress in the game. Because let's be honest. You need loot to progress.

But you don't always need to play with others, do you? Sometimes you need to get something done and no one is doing that same thing. Sometimes in merciless no one is doing the xp run area you want. Sometimes you want to test your ability, maybe?

And if you're not getting ANY loot in a public game then you're doin' it wrong. As I've said before, I'm slow and it's hard for me to loot. Yet I'm doing just fine.

You can coast all the way to the end using parties (I'm sometimes doing it with my templar if I'm lazy) without being uber, and then you can go back a ways to the docks or fellshrine or the ledge in merc and loot on your own. You're going to get more that way because you'll have more TIME to study the drops and pick up everything you need (the ones that will get you specific trade recipes).

Another reason to play alone is you can collect more in general, which I do sometimes, to build up trading orbs and so on. If you're in a group you gotta go go go, you fill your inventory and go to town, you miss out on a lot of XP.

-Aaron

"
Vooodu wrote:
"
Kalriostraz wrote:

Fine. Then why do you enjoy FFA? You say there's no problem with it. But you also go on to say no one will play it if there are other options. If you actually enjoy FFA, why would you "flock" to the other options? IMO: Because you don't actually enjoy competing for loot. You enjoy griefing and trolling others. My opinion on those (like you) who keep insisting everyone will flock to the other options if introduced. If I'm wrong, then how about explaining how/why?

-snip-

Im not about to play publc games with FFA loot if i can just get the cow and milk for free right next door. There needs to be a HUGE FFA bonus if they start splitting the players up based on loot options. Which i hope never, ever happens.

I hope what ever they choose, they do it right. But, if they take it to far this game will be dull.

Sorry, but I still don't see how this means FFA isn't broken, or a bad choice for game-play somehow. If you love the feelings of snagging that rare, or just missing it, why would you stop playing it that way? I can understand where you're coming from for a new player. But someone with an established stash? That's leveling a gear dependent build? Or hell, a build based on a Unique? They (or you in that position) would never play FFA for the thrill that you just stated?
"
Vooodu wrote:
Stop TROLLING...
Yea. You should. We've given the logic behind loot options and how it would help improve the overall experience of the game, but you are focused on the negatives.

Who said loot options would give = loot as FFA? You could scale loot down 50% for instance loot and it would be better for those that keep losing loot because they miss the timer.

Honestly though, the point still stands. More options is a better long term feature in a game than to just force one path. How GGG will balance such a change would be up to them. I can only suggest the solution, but not the method behind the solution.

Keep an open mind. Bro.
"
Kalriostraz wrote:

I play solo probably 60% of the time. I play with friends 39% of the time. I join pubs 1% of the time to help with content I'm struggling with. I personally feel those numbers are out of whack, not to mention the reason I'm joining PUB groups.

But hey, that's my opinion. I'm here because I care about the longevity of the game, and if playing in Pick Up Groups is that unpopular I worry about it. If the issue comes down to something that easily fixable (and hell, maybe changing the loot options isn't the best way to go about it, but it's one of them) then I see no reason to not at least try to civilly discuss it.

If the numbers and reasons are out of whack then stop doing it that way because by your own definition, ur doin it wrong! ;D

Mine are about the same, but I don't bother with friends, specifically, I just go straight to public, so like 60/40 or 70/30. I like to see just how much I can do without help, but if I fail epic-ly (like Vaal in cruel with my ranger, LOL, lost the portal halfway down his HP bar) then I use public to get me past. If I want to level to get the next shiny goal on my tree, I use public. If I want to do something and there's no public game, I do it myself, sometimes by making a game sometimes not.

But I don't have some measuring stick of "it should be 50-50" or whatever yours is. That seems weird to me. The game is not just your game, so it shouldn't be just what you want it to be.

-Aaron
Last edited by aaronsan on Mar 8, 2013, 3:26:09 PM
"
aaronsan wrote:
The game is not just your game, so it shouldn't be just what you want it to be.

-Aaron

I don't think that's what this thread was ever about. I could have SWORN this was about personal feedback and figuring out ways to solve the issue at hand, AND THERE IS AN ISSUE HERE!
"
mibuwolf wrote:
"
Devilnaut wrote:
think that Demons Souls and Dark Souls difficulty options is the right example to use, because to me this is one clear case where the option WOULD cheapen the game.

No. It wouldn't. Also, it's not a clear case. Dark Souls is a single player game and the player should be able to pick how hard he/she wants it. For example, if Dark Souls had a difficulty HARDER than what I started with I would've been happy. I never got such a choice. If you wanted to make the game harder the player would have to restrict him/herself on purpose.

Having options are almost always a good thing to implement unless there is a possibility that it will separate the community too much. However Path of Exile is actually hurting itself with many different limitations. Looting is just one of them in my opinion.

Think though how many people would've missed out on the beauty of Dark Souls if they could've simply picked easy mode and cruised, beaten the game and never looked back?

Plus you really want people running around bragging about having killed Ornstein and Smaugh, how easy they were, how they got the Lord Vessel etc, etc.... then find out they were playing on some easy difficulty? Easy mode would kill a lot of these games' mystique and atmosphere I think.

I really believe that a lot of recent games are 'soulless' because they are scrambling to give the player everything he wants. More options, more control, less harsh penalties on death, less of the "bad messy nasty" things and more of the "fun pleasing good" things.

IMO this results in the cheapening of the game; the truth is all of life is a learning experience and the "bad" and the "good" are both necessary parts of this process. But nowadays everyone feels like they know everything and they want what they want when and how they want it... then they are left to wonder why they're always waiting for the next new thing, why they have ADD, why are unsatisfied, etc.
Last edited by Devilnaut on Mar 8, 2013, 3:22:57 PM
"
Devilnaut wrote:
Think though how many people would've missed out on the beauty of Dark Souls if they could've simply picked easy mode and cruised, beaten the game and never looked back?

Plus you really want people running around bragging about having killed Ornstein and Smaugh, how easy they were, how they got the Lord Vessel etc, etc.... then find out they were playing on some easy difficulty? Easy mode would kill a lot of these games' mystique and atmosphere I think.

A few would've. But those people would've never played Dark Souls beforehand. In fact, I'd say they are missing something by NOT PLAYING IT. The difficulty wasn't the only thing Dark Souls was awesome at. I'd argue that the game actually was easy once you got the fighting mechanics down like the back of your hand. So I really fail to see your point buddy.

You can make a game easier without killing the game for the player. 50% less boss hp. Maybe let the player take 2x as many hits? Things like these allow a buffer to survive long enough for the player to figure out boss/enemy tactics to succeed.

On the other hand, people like me would've rather had a higher difficulty in which the bosses had MORE hp and I would die in 1 shot. That would be fun. For me. Not everyone. Choice is key.
Last edited by mibuwolf on Mar 8, 2013, 3:24:12 PM
"
mibuwolf wrote:
"
Devilnaut wrote:

I really fail to see your point buddy.

Are you sure about that? What you say is true and it is exactly the reason why people need to be forced to play the game the way it was intended; if they are left to control everything and alter the difficulty as they see fit, they will never come to understand that:

"

the game actually was easy once you got the fighting mechanics down like the back of your hand.

Choice is not "key". The reason is because nobody starts out in Dark Souls knowing how to play or being a master of the mechanics. The ONLY way to achieve that is through failure.

If you give people the option of avoiding failure, then what you're really giving them is the choice to avoid learning a difficult lesson... and that is not real freedom at all.
Last edited by Devilnaut on Mar 8, 2013, 3:31:25 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info