Looting -- The official thread for discussing the loot system. Updated 18th March, 2013.

"
mibuwolf wrote:
"
aaronsan wrote:
The game is not just your game, so it shouldn't be just what you want it to be.

-Aaron

I don't think that's what this thread was ever about. I could have SWORN this was about personal feedback and figuring out ways to solve the issue at hand, AND THERE IS AN ISSUE HERE!

In your opinion, you mean. And, just to be clear, the issue...is it "peplz kep takking stuffs w my name on it!!!!!!!1!1!!!!!1!!1!2"

?

Seriously, what is "the issue"?

-Aaron
"
aaronsan wrote:
Seriously, what is "the issue"?-Aaron

I made a long list of issues previously. I'll have to find it again, but there is most definitely an issue that needs fixing here. It all stems from the current loot system.

I'm eating, but I'll dig it up later. No, it's not just about "HE TOOK MY LOOT!". We're not children.
IGN: Mibuwolf
I found it... Here is what I stated previously.

"
Chris wrote:
We're proposing the following system:
- All white text items are free-for-all.
- All magic/rare/unique/currency/gem items are allocated to a nearby player for a very small amount of time.
- All players can see the item, and a countdown of how much time remains until it's available to anyone is shown.
- The allocation time is intended to be very small (enough time to compensate for a little latency, reaction time and travel distance). We're thinking a base time of something in the order of 1 second when standing next to the item.
- The time would be increased by the time it takes for the character to run to the item. An item allocated to a ranged player might unallocate after two seconds, for example.
- It's important that the time is low enough that the player can only get the item if they are paying attention and make an effort to immediately grab it.
- The allocation times can be lower or non-existent in hardcore or cut-throat leagues.

The problem is:

"
mibuwolf wrote:
A. no cutthroat league. It's part of the problem, actually.

B. Timer doesn't help when your item is stuck due to player collision, nor does it help when a bunch of people run ahead of the group opening chests and trying to race to get more loot period. This leads to people playing for themselves rather than as a group. People currently group up just for the quantity bonus and that is all. This loot issue I am describing ALSO is why multiboxing/multiloading is becoming a more viable option because it just cuts out ALL of the frustration.

C. Not many people want the timer.

D. Not many people want nametags on the loot so you can get bitched at for stealing "their loot". This miscommunication is the developers fault for making the player think the loot is thiers

E. Loot options would satisfy a larger amount of players and could possibly end this entire debate.

F. There are over half the game listed with "Ninja=kick". It is cumbersome. Some games don't even have "ninja=kick" in the title and will be kicked sometimes before the boss. This leads to frustration.

G. This currennt system is just not cut-throat. It just isn't. White items are cut-throat, but... what about the rest. This timer isn't a solution. It should hopefully only be a placeholder for the devs to solve the REAL issue.

There are possibly MANY more issues with the loot system that are not known to me, but these are the issues that I felt popped up in my head almost instantly.
IGN: Mibuwolf
Last edited by mibuwolf on Mar 11, 2013, 11:32:24 AM
"
aaronsan wrote:
"
mibuwolf wrote:
"
aaronsan wrote:
The game is not just your game, so it shouldn't be just what you want it to be.

-Aaron

I don't think that's what this thread was ever about. I could have SWORN this was about personal feedback and figuring out ways to solve the issue at hand, AND THERE IS AN ISSUE HERE!

In your opinion, you mean. And, just to be clear, the issue...is it "peplz kep takking stuffs w my name on it!!!!!!!1!1!!!!!1!!1!2"

?

Seriously, what is "the issue"?

-Aaron

My issue is that the loot clicking mini-game is not fun and turns a lot of players away.
IGN: Wrathmar * Paulie * Client
"
Devilnaut wrote:

Are you sure about that? What you say is true and it is exactly the reason why people need to be forced to play the game the way it was intended; if they are left to control everything and alter the difficulty as they see fit, they will never come to understand that:

A big problem I have with this thinking is the "altering difficulty thing". Your point here is working under the assumption that public games NEED this added difficulty. Why do public games need added difficulty in the form of pvp? If difficulty is all you care about then whats wrong with takeing out the pvp loot game and making the enemies more difficult? Anyone can coast through the game anytime they want without competeing for loot so why are you all so focused on public games absolutely forcing all players into competitive FFA looting?

Take away the difficulty argument (which I think you should) and all your left with is forced playstyle. Why does the game force you into one playstyle in public games? It doesn't make sense in the context of the entire game.
Standard Forever
"
iamstryker wrote:
"
Devilnaut wrote:

Are you sure about that? What you say is true and it is exactly the reason why people need to be forced to play the game the way it was intended; if they are left to control everything and alter the difficulty as they see fit, they will never come to understand that:

A big problem I have with this thinking is the "altering difficulty thing". Your point here is working under the assumption that public games NEED this added difficulty. Why do public games need added difficulty in the form of pvp? If difficulty is all you care about then whats wrong with takeing out the pvp loot game and making the enemies more difficult? Anyone can coast through the game anytime they want without competeing for loot so why are you all so focused on public games absolutely forcing all players into competitive FFA looting?

Take away the difficulty argument (which I think you should) and all your left with is forced playstyle. Why does the game force you into one playstyle in public games? It doesn't make sense in the context of the entire game.

I agree with you, and my post was fairly off topic. I don't think the difficulty argument necessarily applies to the FFA looting situation.
"
Chris wrote:
We initially announced that looting is free-for-all in Path of Exile. Players would be able to see and pick up any items that dropped.

It's important to us that Path of Exile has a cut-throat feel where players are not only competing against monsters, but also their fellow players. We do not feel it is an option to arbitrarily hide items from players who have not been allocated them.

As we saw here and here, many players really objected to this.

Several legitimate problems with free-for-all looting were raised:
- Ranged players are unable to get to the items in time.
- Items might just get scooped up by one player with substantially lower latency than the other players.

Over the past few months we've thought long and hard about this topic, and have come up with a system that we feel captures the cut-throat feel that we're trying to go for, but helps mitigate the valid complaints.

We're proposing the following system:
- All white text items are free-for-all.
- All magic/rare/unique/currency/gem items are allocated to a nearby player for a very small amount of time.
- All players can see the item, and a countdown of how much time remains until it's available to anyone is shown.
- The allocation time is intended to be very small (enough time to compensate for a little latency, reaction time and travel distance). We're thinking a base time of something in the order of 1 second when standing next to the item.
- The time would be increased by the time it takes for the character to run to the item. An item allocated to a ranged player might unallocate after two seconds, for example.
- It's important that the time is low enough that the player can only get the item if they are paying attention and make an effort to immediately grab it.
- The allocation times can be lower or non-existent in hardcore or cut-throat leagues.

Players who wanted an allocated looting system will hopefully be happy that this system mitigates item loss due to latency and travel distance.

Players who wanted a free-for-all looting system will hopefully be pleased - with this system they can take any item they want if the allocated player is not paying attention to the drops.

This is a concept based on feedback only. It's not locked in stone, but we like the direction it's going in.

What do you guys think about this suggestion? Please don't just post "allocated sucks", or "I won't play if it's free-for-all".

ranged players still suffer with this system.. the time afforded to the selected player needs to last longer.. I would say around twice as long as it is.
I don't remember who it was that brought up the argument that FFA looting made the game more difficult some 30-40 pages back but my response was:

Yeah, it makes it harder for the glass cannon, ranged and anyone else focused on DPSing mobs to get loot but it makes it easier for leechers who don't contribute anything to groups to get much more than they would in instanced.
I feel like the timer should be slightly extended, as I have lost every good currency drop/unique drop due to me clicking the item several times without my character even moving an inch to collect it. I lag a quite a bit in any party that has 5+ people and I only get 1/10 of my drop simply because when i click on my loot it almost never registers. I feel if i had an extra few seconds to mash my loot there is a chance i might be able to get some of it.
I hope you guys come up with a solution for yourselves soon. Really, I do.

Because God knows how little will be done in regards to the current proposed solutions. Not in the sense that GGG doesn't listen, but that they aren't willing to compromise the game they are making for the sake of keeping a sect of players who aren't willing to compromise themselves.

Whether that's right or not, is quite irrelevant.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info