Adding to the wiki

"
Folset wrote:
I would like to help... should we use
http://pathofexile.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
or
http://en.pathofexilewiki.com

For the love of god... Thank you whoever made http://en.pathofexilewiki.com. I can't stand wikia for a number of reasons, and I am a big fan of wikimedia software. Thank you for making this site, I will use it, I will contribute to it, and I will tell people about it.

Never use wikia if there's an alternative.
Hey just telling you that the site en.pathofexilewiki.com is inactive, the admin has left and since it is a hosted mediawiki we do not have access to it. That is the reason we have to start a new one, so far I have made the framework for a new mediawiki but I do not have a sever, pm me to learn more!
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to always tell the difference.
So, to move forward with the wiki, we need:

• Hosting
I'm willing to chip in. I've had Dream Host recommended to me before – they provided unlimited bandwidth and disk space on all their plans which is great. I think a $15/month VPS would do but I'm not too well versed in this area.

• A domain name
Since pathofexilewiki.com is taken and the admin is MIA, we'll have to use an alternative unless he returns and offers to relinquish that domain.
Alternatively, poewiki.net anyone? I almost prefer that as it is shorter. Someone else is sitting on poewiki.com, I wish people wouldn't grab up these domains so much without any motivation to do something...

• Contributors!
Obviously the biggest part after a place is all set up. This includes people writing articles but also people willing to moderate it all - we don't want to be inundated with spam as pathofexilewiki.com is at the moment.

• Developers
Someone with web development experience willing to lend some time to style the wiki and help get all the wikimedia software above the basic installation. If anyone has any experience managing a wikimedia site or doing any type of styling, your help would be appreciated!

Essentially, we can't just move forward adding stuff to the existing wikis - they're all abandoned at the moment. Do you think a new topic would be useful alerting people that we specifically are looking for help would benefit us?
Last edited by izzalion on Jun 1, 2012, 11:00:41 AM
Hey everyone. First of all, I want to apologise to all of you, I've been really shit and have not paying attention to the wiki site.

I'm absolutely still interested in keeping this project going, and I'm fully aware that only one admin there can cause a problem, so you all need to help me out!

I've got no problem with giving one or more people admin access to the site, and having anyone knowledgeable with Mediawiki sites help with spam fighting and skinning.

Basically, a wiki site is going to have to be a community project, so we need to work together to get that community set up.

Unfortunately at the moment my laptop is dying, due to a faulty HDD, Dell were meant to fix it yesterday, someone turned up with a new drive but they forgot to bring discs to install the OS and drivers so I'm going to be AWOL for a few more days.

I can obviously do some stuff from work and will endeavour to do so when I'm back there on Wednesday. Otherwise, I'll do what I can from home, but it took 5 hours today for it to boot, and it keeps hanging up, so it will be slow!

So basically, I'm sorry I've been shit, let's work on this to make it happen for the community.
"
izzalion wrote:
You're using effect correctly.

• Things have an effect.
• Things are affected (usually by an effect).

I use a trick I found online for this.

"Arrows affect the aardvark." :D

I'm not sure if things are affected usually by effects. Things can be affected by all sorts of things. An effect might not even have much of an affect on others besides one of looking cool to them. ;)
Invited to Beta 2012-03-18 / Supporter since 2012-04-08
"
As this game moves towards its soft release, I think a transition from the forum as the source of all game-related information to a wiki will be essential. I obviously cannot stress that enough.

Nope, but I'll help you.

There is a lot of confusion over exactly what skills do what, which work with others, how damage reduction is calculated, etcetera, and having all of this in a wiki is something the community really needs.

I'll check the site out, and see if I can help out in one way or another.
"
izzalion wrote:

• Hosting
I'm willing to chip in. I've had Dream Host recommended to me before – they provided unlimited bandwidth and disk space on all their plans which is great. I think a $15/month VPS would do but I'm not too well versed in this area.

I should mention that my hosting account has unlimited domains and unlimited bandwidth.

I use Hostgator, and the plan is only $10/month and also has great service. SO I recommend them, especially if this is better than Cyborg's current plan.

If I can get a good wiki framework loaded up there, or have completely separate access logins between domains (which I probably can), we might be able to simply host the site on my hosting account.

I probably won't be as helpful in writing initial sections of the wiki (mostly due to to time) but I'm sure there are ways I'd be able to help out in this regard.

Also, Cyborg, how different would this setup be compared to Wikipedia? I'm familiar with how to do things there, and my only problem with their setup is that it can be a pain to get a page going without having people jump on it and make you prove its notability. We probably won't have that issue with a PoE wiki, but in that case I'm not sure that I understand what you mean by needing additional admins. What are the roles of admins?

Will this be a site where *anyone* can edit? If so, will there be quick reversal procedures so that we can prevent vandalism or trollish misinformation?

Wikipedia sometimes has pages that are partially protected, so only established users can edit them. Perhaps something like this would be good for the PoE wiki as well, so that someone would have to apply and be known by you or another admin to be intelligent before being able to edit pages to say something idiotic.
"
Silva wrote:
Hey just telling you that the site en.pathofexilewiki.com is inactive, the admin has left and since it is a hosted mediawiki we do not have access to it. That is the reason we have to start a new one, so far I have made the framework for a new mediawiki but I do not have a sever, pm me to learn more!

If Cyborg were to appoint you as an admin of his page, would you be able to incorporate your ideas on that one?
"
VideoGeemer wrote:
"
izzalion wrote:

• Hosting

I should mention that my hosting account has unlimited domains and unlimited bandwidth.

I use Hostgator, and the plan is only $10/month and also has great service. SO I recommend them, especially if this is better than Cyborg's current plan.

If I can get a good wiki framework loaded up there, or have completely separate access logins between domains (which I probably can), we might be able to simply host the site on my hosting account.

I probably won't be as helpful in writing initial sections of the wiki (mostly due to to time) but I'm sure there are ways I'd be able to help out in this regard.

Also, Cyborg, how different would this setup be compared to Wikipedia? I'm familiar with how to do things there, and my only problem with their setup is that it can be a pain to get a page going without having people jump on it and make you prove its notability. We probably won't have that issue with a PoE wiki, but in that case I'm not sure that I understand what you mean by needing additional admins. What are the roles of admins?

Will this be a site where *anyone* can edit? If so, will there be quick reversal procedures so that we can prevent vandalism or trollish misinformation?

Wikipedia sometimes has pages that are partially protected, so only established users can edit them. Perhaps something like this would be good for the PoE wiki as well, so that someone would have to apply and be known by you or another admin to be intelligent before being able to edit pages to say something idiotic.

My hosting should be just fine for the moment, but if it starts to slow down I'm more than willing to migrate stuff over to a VPS or dedicated server to make sure it gets the resources it needs.

The software is exactly the same as that used by Wikipedia, so in terms of editing pages, it's just the same, but you don't have to worry about some of the rules their as the project is so different we don't have to worry about notability issues.

Admins are there to keep the userbase in line and make sure people aren't trolling the site or posting worthless content, so basically they're just like forum administrators.

Anyone with a site account will be able to edit pages, we want to make it as easy as possible for people to edit pages and create new content, as that's how the wiki will thrive. Admins will make sure troublesome members are dealt with and the userbase will be able to edit articles with incorrect information. Protecting pages is something I don't see us needing as the project won't have anywhere near the number of participants as Wikipedia.

I've just given Silva admin privileges for now and will be keeping an eye on this thread and what happens there, ideally we'd need more admins though.
Thank you so much for making this wonderful resource avalible to us. At the moment I am in the long process of adding in all of the prefix and suffix mods!
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to always tell the difference.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info