Debunking the idea that Orbs are in any way superior to Gold

"
Guadagno wrote:
Mark has pointed out the thing I think most people are doing wrong in the current orb currency system. Everyone wants to establish a currency standard. This completely ruins the great barter system that PoE has now. If everyone would stop trying to find a standard worth for everything and just barter like they are supposed to the orbs wouldn't seem so bad compared to gold.

That's exactly why the orb economy will be exactly the same as any other game's gold economy. Every gamer knows that the players will simply establish a standard. Just like in the good old Diablo 2 days when everyone was trading in SOJ (Stone of Jordan - A unique ring)
I don't have any problem with the orb currency cause it doesn't matter one bit in the long run.. It will be exactly the same as in every other game in the genre.
"
Gnawershreth wrote:
"
Guadagno wrote:
Mark has pointed out the thing I think most people are doing wrong in the current orb currency system. Everyone wants to establish a currency standard. This completely ruins the great barter system that PoE has now. If everyone would stop trying to find a standard worth for everything and just barter like they are supposed to the orbs wouldn't seem so bad compared to gold.

That's exactly why the orb economy will be exactly the same as any other game's gold economy. Every gamer knows that the players will simply establish a standard. Just like in the good old Diablo 2 days when everyone was trading in SOJ (Stone of Jordan - A unique ring)
I don't have any problem with the orb currency cause it doesn't matter one bit in the long run.. It will be exactly the same as in every other game in the genre.

Not the same at all. Tell me why a D2 player would need 20 SOJs? Wheras a player always needs alchs or chaos or whatever.
TehHammer is not a crime!
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.. I'm not gonna trade with these, at least not mostly. I'm gonna craft with them.
"
Gnawershreth wrote:

It's not exactly the same, because Stones of Jordan were not consumable, and no character ever needed more than 2. They could be created, but never destroyed. That's exactly what causes inflation.

The Orbs currency of Path of Exile greatly reduces the effect of inflation by making them disappear when used, and giving them very useful effects that help encourage the player's to expend them. And once you realize the beauty of the system, you will see how even the most common orbs can be useful when applied in clever sequences with other types of orbs. It can be a lot of fun deciding which types of orbs to use on an item!

Also, as stated by the developers: The rarity of most of the orbs helps prevent a boring "linear gain" to currency amounts. So instead of getting X gold per hour of grinding, you end up with something a bit more unpredictable and exciting.

And lastly, Stones of Jordan did not have any "smaller" version of itself to use for the lower currency. Any decent currency system needs to have some less valuable pieces for getting more specific with prices/values. There is no "set conversion rate" for orbs, but there are clearly more common ones that can be used when trading to "sweeten the deal" without breaking the wallet.

That makes for a currency system that is not only interesting and immediately useful (It's like a "magical properties" slot machine you can carry in your pocket!!), it also has built-in anti-inflation properties. Gold and Stone of Jordan based economies are stale and inflexible by comparison.
Last edited by Axebane on Jun 8, 2012, 9:39:46 PM
"
Mark_GGG wrote:

If both players are happy with a trade, on what basis do you say one was ripped off? Our system allows for people to value things differently, based on their wants and needs, rather than enforcing a set price on everything. If you really need/want an item and are happy to pay a set amount of orbs for it, and the person selling it wants those orbs more than the item, then I don't think either player got "ripped off" - the item was worth more you because of your character's needs, so you paid what you felt it was worth.
In the case where there's an overall market setting fairly strict prices for everything in terms of just a number (of gold) rather than differing quantities of orbs, one player could _feel_ they got ripped off where otherwise they would be perfectly happy - what does that feeling add to the game which is positive?

Hello there. (fixed)

Your mindset is that if you don't know that you got ripped off, then it's not a problem. I strongly disagree with that.
You can't ignore the fact that market prices will emerge due to supply and demand.
Last edited by Wittgenstein on Jun 8, 2012, 11:11:36 PM
It's a good compromise, not a solution.
Look at the world and tell me you see fair buisness?

Why the insult?
"
Sickness wrote:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:

If both players are happy with a trade, on what basis do you say one was ripped off? Our system allows for people to value things differently, based on their wants and needs, rather than enforcing a set price on everything. If you really need/want an item and are happy to pay a set amount of orbs for it, and the person selling it wants those orbs more than the item, then I don't think either player got "ripped off" - the item was worth more you because of your character's needs, so you paid what you felt it was worth.
In the case where there's an overall market setting fairly strict prices for everything in terms of just a number (of gold) rather than differing quantities of orbs, one player could _feel_ they got ripped off where otherwise they would be perfectly happy - what does that feeling add to the game which is positive?

Hello there. (fixed)

Your mindset is that if you don't know that you got ripped off, then it's not a problem. I strongly disagree with that.
You can't ignore the fact that market prices will emerge due to supply and demand.

No his mindset is if you trade something you don't need for something you do need, then you didn't get ripped off. It is up to you to decide the worth of something based on your need and your supply of it. Common standards set by the players will only hurt this system.
They said I was mad! They said it couldn't be done! But now who's mad?!?!
"
Sickness wrote:
Hello there. (fixed)

Why did you edit that?
Let me quote a PM from CharanJaydemyr
"
'dumb-ass' is definitely within our acceptable sphere of language.
"
Guadagno wrote:

No his mindset is if you trade something you don't need for something you do need, then you didn't get ripped off. It is up to you to decide the worth of something based on your need and your supply of it. Common standards set by the players will only hurt this system.

Did you only read half the post?
You may think that "common standards set by the players will only hurt this system", but that doesn't change the fact that it happens anyways.
They need to design the system to fit reality, not try to do it the other way around.
"
Sickness wrote:
Did you only read half the post?
You may think that "common standards set by the players will only hurt this system", but that doesn't change the fact that it happens anyways.
They need to design the system to fit reality, not try to do it the other way around.

And right now the reality is that you have a barter system with some players setting standards of consumable currency. Is there any problem here really or are you just trying to make a storm in a teacup?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info