Trap

The only support gem that actively makes the attached skill objectively worse then it was.

It increases mana cost, adds a cooldown, adds an arming period and contributes nothing.

In theory you could stack up 2-3 traps then pull monsters, but that isn't really viable due to the cooldown(no one is going to spend 20-30 seconds setting up for each pack of monsters).

And honestly the benefit of stacking 2-3 traps is just a few extra casts- over the course of most fights faster casting would do that in a more flexible manner without the added drawbacks or setup time.

Note all the actual traps spells in the game are made viable by the fact that they have 2-5x the base damage of conventional spammed spells(fire rank 20 has 1000 AoE base damage, bear traps 3750 base damage).

Talisman softcore IGN:disappointment
Last edited by bilun on Jun 9, 2013, 3:57:15 AM
What most people here don't realize is, Trap is intended to help Dual Totem users. It gives them another attacking option, apart from Bear/Fire Traps.

Linking Cold Snap to a Trap support gem proves to be very effective for Dual Ice Spear/Dual Spork Totem users.
rather have cold snap mines and ice nova traps, because... ice nova is center at caster which is the trap and is a distance and very large AoE, while mines give damage boost to the already (now) nice damaging cold AoE. ice nova doesn't have recharge, but traps will enable stacking/overlap. and you can place more mines than traps so to "bypass" cold snap's cooldown a different way (and stack as well).
"
Kuhni wrote:
What most people here don't realize is, Trap is intended to help Dual Totem users. It gives them another attacking option, apart from Bear/Fire Traps.

Linking Cold Snap to a Trap support gem proves to be very effective for Dual Ice Spear/Dual Spork Totem users.

Even with that said this needs to boost the damage of the skill like the remote mine does.
Most pointless support gem in the game with a lot of wasted potential. The game needs some good ways to improve a skill at the cost of a cooldown, just to make skill variety useful, but remote mine has a very long set up time and doesn't really have a cooldown, just a set up. Trap skills would be amazing for improving build variety if they only had the same damage increase as remote mine.

Wasted potential!!
IGN: Asser, AssDelver, Assphobic, AnointedAss, BetrayedByMyAss, CrackedAss, FracturedAss, FulcrumedUpMyAss, ImpaledAss, IncursionOfTheAss, WarForTheAss, UnleashTheAss, ScreamingAsshole, SwampAssKing, Yui
Last edited by Wooser69 on Jul 4, 2013, 8:31:01 AM
"
Wooser69 wrote:
Most pointless support gem in the game with a lot of wasted potential. The game needs some good ways to improve a skill at the cost of a cooldown, just to make skill variety useful, but remote mine has a very long set up time and doesn't really have a cooldown, just a set up. Trap skills would be amazing for improving build variety if they only had the same damage increase as remote mine.

Wasted potential!!

This.
I'm 100% with that guy.
Need rework, bcs very very good potential and nothing work with that in real.
Is lightning warp the only movement skill that works with the Trap Support?

As of 11.5, this support gems potential is no longer wasted! The cooldown reduction, 20-40% multi damage increase, all of it seems perfect to me. There's now room to make quick, useable and very hard hitting secondary attack skills without being limited to either bear trap or fire trap.

Thank you GGG!

Now if only there was a version that worked with melee skills... Yes, I await the day I can have a puncture splash trap while rolling with my claymore. Of course it'd need to have like, 300% mana multiplier, considering it'd be adding range to melee skills which already cost very little to cast.
IGN: Asser, AssDelver, Assphobic, AnointedAss, BetrayedByMyAss, CrackedAss, FracturedAss, FulcrumedUpMyAss, ImpaledAss, IncursionOfTheAss, WarForTheAss, UnleashTheAss, ScreamingAsshole, SwampAssKing, Yui
Last edited by Wooser69 on Sep 7, 2013, 12:45:37 AM
I really like the changes made to this gem.

But I could use some clarification; what's the difference between "laying speed" and "throwing speed" of a trap (as far as I can see "throwing speed" is a unique mod on the unique boots "Deerstalker").
Last edited by Sonnac on Sep 25, 2013, 1:21:04 PM
Combined with the fact that the skill allows for dodging of the reflect modifier I believe the skill to be quite useful originally. The new changes make it a more viable use for countering this problem for builds. Personally I was mainly looking for suggestions on effective use and found that most people already use it the same way I had planned to.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info