Trap

I'm really disappointed with Remote Mine and Trap to be honest. I'm a long time player, albeit on and off, and one of the things that really annoys me is how some interactions are seemingly incredibly inconsistent. I've been theorycrafting a build using Remote Mine and Bear Trap, and it turns out they don't work together. So...

Let's talk about some links and their interactions:

Remote Mine > Fireball = Casting fireball lays a mine, detonating the mine casts a fireball from the location of the mine which targets the nearest enemy in a certain decent range, else fires in a random direction.

That "certain range" I am completely unsure of, as I don't know how range is calculated or what the units are. I do know that using Remote Mine linked with Fireball is feasible, the maximum range for it to target an enemy is decent. It's not too far, but it's not short either. The skill is usable.

Remote Mine > Ice Spear = Exactly what you would expect, same story as Fireball. In fact Remote Mine works exactly as you would expect for a lot of skills. Storm Call, Ethereal Knives, Magma Orb, Ice Nova, Cold Snap... almost everything I can think of right now works as you would expect with just Remote Mine, oh except Essence Drain, that doesn't work for some reason.

Remote Mine > Bear Trap: Now this is a funny one, it DOES have a targeting range when you detonate the mine like Fireball and the other working skills, however it's very very small - about as wide as the character, so you wouldn't even notice it unless you were specifically testing for it. Also the damage of Bear Trap isn't increased by linking it to Remote Mine. This feels very inconsistent.

Remote Mine > Trap > Fireball = Casting fireball lays a mine, detonating the mine casts a trap from the location of the mine which targets the nearest enemy in a certain decent range, else targets the current coordinate of the Remote Mine. When the trap is activated fireball is cast, targeting the enemy that activated the trap, or the nearest enemy in a decent range.

This is consistent and expected, I have tested the following skills that seem to work in the same way: Ice Spear, Storm Call, Ethereal Knives, Magma Orb, Ice Nova, Spark, Summon Flame Golem.

The following skills do not work as expected when linked with Remote Mine > Trap:

Firestorm: Detonating the mine sets a trap on its current location without ever targeting a nearby enemy.

Cold Snap: Same as Firestorm.
Last edited by tailnerd on Apr 6, 2016 1:27:24 PM
Does the skill that trap (support) is connected to benefits from traps nodes and whatever the skill`s nodes are(bow nodes for bow skill) ?
"
Completed 4 Challengesr0b1n92 wrote:
Does the skill that trap (support) is connected to benefits from traps nodes and whatever the skill`s nodes are(bow nodes for bow skill) ?
Yes it benefits from the trap nodes.
"Huh, what's the? I did what!? No I didn't. Oh I did, NO I DIDNT REEEEEEEE" - TD

"Excuse me, youre ruining my forum experience while i post whine threads and spam. Youre literally the most toxic person ever, unacceptable" - GM
Thanks, i wanted to know if i link blast rain with trap, blast rain will benefit from "CHance to crit with Bow" and "+%trap damage" , thoses nodes.
Some questions:

1. If you link some spell to trap support, does still its own crit chance count?
1b. can it crit?
2. is it effected by increases to spell damage/eledamage etc.?
2b. does it benefit from inc. crit chance for spells?
3. when you link 2 spells with the same trap support gem, do both come out?
3b. for example descerate and detonate dead - does it go in order. so first descerate then detonate dead?

thanks for the help!
Questions 1 and 2 are all the same. The answer is yes. Traps use your offensive stats.

"
Completed 8 Challengeswilleke wrote:
3. when you link 2 spells with the same trap support gem, do both come out?
3b. for example descerate and detonate dead - does it go in order. so first descerate then detonate dead?

thanks for the help!

No, since you don't cast the 'trap' support gem. If detonate dead is linked to trap, then when you use detonate dead it will make a trap of detonate dead. Same for Desecrate. It doesn't matter which trap gem they are linked to.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
Last edited by dudiobugtron on Apr 19, 2016 9:59:17 PM
I wish there were more content available to allow the use of melee skills within traps. I didn't know you couldn't, I was hyped to attempt to make a ranger with frost blade traps... oh well. Support for melee skills in traps would be nice (since they have a physical aspect), maybe limit it to melee spells with projectiles and eliminate the melee portion completely (or have it be related to the initial trap explosion) and have the projectiles from the spell fly in a circle from the trap detonation point.
Greetings!

I have played some Trappers, and recently with the new tinkerskin unique (Tinkerskin + EB is pretty nice actually)

The only problem i have with the Trap Support gem is its cooldown.
With a 4 sec base cooldown, even when you are playing as Saboteur it feels bad.

The time when Saboteur felt even remotley nice to play was when i was using the Trap Cooldown support gem, but that actually reduced my total damage since a support gem with a MORE multiplier is a lot better for your total damage.

So to summarise:

The bad thing about Trap support gem is that it feels bad to play due to the long cooldown.

How to fix it:

Either

A. Reduce the base cooldown on the Trap support gem to 2 sec like the other trap gems.

B. Make the trap support gem have a MORE trap cooldown modifier, and also give it INCREASED trap damage.

What are you fellow trappers view on this?
Greetings again.

Found another thing, im sure it is intended, but for what reason do trap gems share cooldown?

I can see absolutley no reason to limit players by sharing cooldown on trap gems that are placed in different setups.

For example, im currently playing a bow trapper, and i figured i could get around the cooldown restriction by using 2 5-links (one in bow and one in armour) but both setups share the same cooldown.

Why are we not allowed to use 2 6-link setups to get 6 of the same trap (3 charges on two skills)?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info