Can't see shit, captain. [Low-life builds and vision radius]

"
Russell wrote:
hmm yes that is rather bung.

should go off your % of life left after reserve rather than % of total life.

Bump. Any news on a planned fix?
"
olegbl wrote:
"
Russell wrote:
hmm yes that is rather bung.

should go off your % of life left after reserve rather than % of total life.

Bump. Any news on a planned fix?

"
Russell wrote:
hmm yes that is rather bunny.

should go off your % of life left after reserve rather than % of total life,
after you equipped some items with +%Lightradius, because builddiversity

fixed

+vote for lock, the topic served its lifetime and will not be forgotten.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcKqhDFhNHI
"
Lachdanan wrote:

fixed

Unfortunately, doesn't look like that's the case. I've tried with a +light radius item and without one - I get identical results in both cases of not being able to see shit.

The +15% light radius (first +LR item I found) does help to slightly increase the tiny circle of what I can see - but doesn't solve the problem. Guess I'm not playing PoE for a couple more months at least.
"
olegbl wrote:
"
Lachdanan wrote:

fixed

Unfortunately, doesn't look like that's the case. I've tried with a +light radius item and without one - I get identical results in both cases of not being able to see shit.

The +15% light radius (first +LR item I found) does help to slightly increase the tiny circle of what I can see - but doesn't solve the problem. Guess I'm not playing PoE for a couple more months at least.

I don't think it's fixed at all. Inside buildings and caves I'm blind outside of a small circle. Not to the extent of the OP's picture, but I have twice his life, so my circle of visibility is bit larger than his, but the fact remains I'm still abnormally blind.

Why is it that we even need a special display around our character when playing at low life? Isn't the top 65% or more of our health globe being greyed enough of an indicator? To me the extra display around our character isn't necessary, especially when inside buildings and caves the effect puts us at a disadvantage by abnormally blinding us. Isn't playing at low life disadvantage enough? Why do those playing at full life get to see farther?

And while I'm here, playing at low life the sculpture and Energy Shield overlay obscuring what little life we have left is more problematic than the vision radius issue. Look at the OP's picture. How do we manage what little life we have left when cannot see it? And if you think the OP's picture is bad, if you double the amount of Energy Shield you won't even see that much "red". With double the Energy Shield, even if the life reservation was at the ideal 65%/66% level, you won't see any more "red" than what you see in the OP's picture.

Something needs to be done about this. Playing at low life we need to be able to readily see the amount of life we have left out of our peripheral vision. We need to be able to react to chaos damage hits, which cannot be done when we cannot see the "red" of life globe while focused on playing the game.

So please, please, please do something with the current Health / Energy Shield display to improve playing at low life. Currently, we can only see the "red" of our life meter when we 100% focus on the globe and put everything else in peripheral vision.
"
pneuma wrote:
I'm all for ambiance, but on-low-life builds are almost blind in any building or cave.

Pretty picture!

(I've since gotten a little bit less life reserved to get me closer to the 35% ideal, but I still dread going into closed areas for fear of getting murdered by random archers through a doorway.)

EDIT: The best summary I can muster.
"
pneuma wrote:
Taking the Pain Attunement keystone changes the build into one that is generally on low-life at all times, not just once in a while. The character lives in low-life.
The stated reason for the vision dim is that people need to be warned when on low-life, as an exciting rush in abnormal circumstances, not something that you should see all the time.

I see a few ways to remedy this mismatch:
#1) Have PA grant immunity to vision dim as a bonus to the keystone. You've attuned yourself with pain, you live with it, and it's normal to you.
#2) Make your max-after-reservation your effective max, so that when you're on-low-life of on-low-life, you get vision dim (35% of (max-reservation)).

The bottom line you are low on life, every single game I have played when death is near has this effect and it is quite welcoming. This effect keeps reminding me I am low on health. It's the price you pay for having such low life. I welcome it and it adds to the excitement and dread to the game.
"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
"
solwitch wrote:
"
pneuma wrote:
I'm all for ambiance, but on-low-life builds are almost blind in any building or cave.

Pretty picture!

(I've since gotten a little bit less life reserved to get me closer to the 35% ideal, but I still dread going into closed areas for fear of getting murdered by random archers through a doorway.)

EDIT: The best summary I can muster.
"
pneuma wrote:
Taking the Pain Attunement keystone changes the build into one that is generally on low-life at all times, not just once in a while. The character lives in low-life.
The stated reason for the vision dim is that people need to be warned when on low-life, as an exciting rush in abnormal circumstances, not something that you should see all the time.

I see a few ways to remedy this mismatch:
#1) Have PA grant immunity to vision dim as a bonus to the keystone. You've attuned yourself with pain, you live with it, and it's normal to you.
#2) Make your max-after-reservation your effective max, so that when you're on-low-life of on-low-life, you get vision dim (35% of (max-reservation)).

The bottom line you are low on life, every single game I have played when death is near has this effect and it is quite welcoming. This effect keeps reminding me I am low on health. It's the price you pay for having such low life. I welcome it and it adds to the excitement and dread to the game.

Yea, except that is NOT THE CASE. If we WILLINGLY are at LOW LIFE THEN WE ARE VERY WELL AWARE OF HOW LOW OUR LIFE IS. In any practical sense of this situation - THERE IS NO immediate DANGER IF WE CONSTANTLY LIVE IN FEAR OF BEING ONE SHOT.

Reserving life is no different than simply having lower hit points. If we try to heal, we do not go over our max hit points. That is no damage, that is reserving life. I do not need to be reminded that I have reserved life and frankly I don't know why the hell everyone is so interested in this issue.

What harm does it do to you if we aren't completely blind indoors? How does that hurt YOUR gameplay? Know how it affects my gameplay? I can't see shit. I can be killed easily by a mob who walks around and one shots me from behind, and I don't have a chance to react because I DO NOT SEE HIM COMING AT ALL. The only reason I don't run into walls is because I constantly have the map overlay open.

Do you really... NOT SEE... why this is stupid?
<McD's tune>: Bada-bada-bump! I'm blind and sh--.
Oh hey, it's been 16 months since I made this thread.
For shame.
any word on this? It's pretty silly with the game coming out of beta
pneuma, this thread is legendary, its probably the oldest still being posted in

ive done some low life builds,gave some feedback here, then just regreted the skill trees away since i still cant see shit, captain.

seriously now, 20% of fuck all, is still fuck all... increased light radius does almost nothing.
I carve and sell real animal skulls, check out my work here: https://www.instagram.com/victorseiche/
https://www.facebook.com/victorseicheart/
World first Uber Atziri as 2h and 2h RT build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1058950
Highest level char in Closed Beta, Wytchfindergeneral
Last edited by VictorDoom on Oct 9, 2013, 6:13:15 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info