This game ruined Diablo 3 for me...

i need a key in order to see if this beats d3 someone give me one please
Put simply no respecs ie rerolling systems, are only fun for people who have time to invest or who play the game long term. For others who would get maybe 2-3 characters to close to max level (from history this is 80-90% of the initial population), the best way to play the game without being infuriated is to copy a cookie cutter build from the net.

It would help if ALOT more excruciatingly excessive detail was provided about skills BEFOREHAND, for instance Point Blank; how would anyone at what range it is viable before they've spent a few hours just to get it and test it out? Times this by however many more skills (passive or active) and you can see where I'm coming from.

For people who invest hundreds of hours into the game it provides a barriered knowledge system, ie you're not allowed to know stuff until you've invested x number of hours, when you open up the gateway the game still remains fresh and exciting as theres always something new to learn you can't know right now. For the person who has less time to invest, this knowledge remains closed behind a locked door unless they follow a cookie cutter guide made by someone who has had a chance to test the pitfalls and flaws of numerous ideas.

Respeccing allows people to fiddle around with stuff, just look at D2 for your examples, how many non-hardcore players are trying out new and innovative builds? The last time I played it, 1 in 4 players was a Hammerdin, how can you defend such a system?
"
gorillajuice wrote:
Put simply no respecs ie rerolling systems, are only fun for people who have time to invest or who play the game long term. For others who would get maybe 2-3 characters to close to max level (from history this is 80-90% of the initial population), the best way to play the game without being infuriated is to copy a cookie cutter build from the net.

It would help if ALOT more excruciatingly excessive detail was provided about skills BEFOREHAND, for instance Point Blank; how would anyone at what range it is viable before they've spent a few hours just to get it and test it out? Times this by however many more skills (passive or active) and you can see where I'm coming from.

For people who invest hundreds of hours into the game it provides a barriered knowledge system, ie you're not allowed to know stuff until you've invested x number of hours, when you open up the gateway the game still remains fresh and exciting as theres always something new to learn you can't know right now. For the person who has less time to invest, this knowledge remains closed behind a locked door unless they follow a cookie cutter guide made by someone who has had a chance to test the pitfalls and flaws of numerous ideas.

Respeccing allows people to fiddle around with stuff, just look at D2 for your examples, how many non-hardcore players are trying out new and innovative builds? The last time I played it, 1 in 4 players was a Hammerdin, how can you defend such a system?

... But there are respecs in the game. 8 from quests, and it's not hard to find orbs of regret. All you need is 2 to go from the piercing shot cluster over to Point Blank Shot to try it out.
Also, there's a Point Blank support gem that you can try without having to assign passive points.
Not hard to find Orbs of regret? in 110 combined levels I have found 3 across 3 diff characters. So if I am trying out skills on each toon those orbs are EXTREMELY rare.

The argument here is why should someone who wants to sit down and play a video game be force to reroll a toon to have a few different skills. In WoW or any MMO you can just simply respec your toon, in D3 you can just try a new rune/skill combination, in this game you are forced to start a new toon.

In this day and age where everything is about convenience and games are quite a bit forgiving than 15 years ago because people changed and got sick of these types of time sinks, this is a major step backwards.
"
Morbidangel73 wrote:
Not hard to find Orbs of regret? in 110 combined levels I have found 3 across 3 diff characters. So if I am trying out skills on each toon those orbs are EXTREMELY rare.

The argument here is why should someone who wants to sit down and play a video game be force to reroll a toon to have a few different skills. In WoW or any MMO you can just simply respec your toon, in D3 you can just try a new rune/skill combination, in this game you are forced to start a new toon.

In this day and age where everything is about convenience and games are quite a bit forgiving than 15 years ago because people changed and got sick of these types of time sinks, this is a major step backwards.
Ive found 3 in under 60 combined levels (40 templar, under lvl 20 witch). Also, I have spare respec points on BOTH characters. If you ever get to 90 on 1 character, its alot harder than 40.
By the time you get that high you will probably have an idea where you are headed. The current set up encourages you to make a choice and stick to it. Ive seen reasons for this explained excellently somewhere else, use search?
"
By the time you get that high you will probably have an idea where you are headed. The current set up encourages you to make a choice and stick to it. Ive seen reasons for this explained excellently somewhere else, use search?

Oh I know where I am going, was just stating that orbs of regret are not a viable choice for people who happen to mess up on their build. Not everyone has a ton of time to farm for orbs if they make a mistake.
"
I was told about PoE by a friend a little over a week ago. I shelled out $10 to get a beta key with the thought "This is probably going to be lame, but maybe it'll kill some time until Diablo 3 comes out".

I kept playing the game, and was going on and on about it to friends of mine. They had the same doubts, but gave it a shot and now feel the same way I do.

I don't even look forward to May 15th anymore, I preordered Diablo sometime ago and will probably play it for a bit, but Diablo 3 is now the game that I'll play to kill some time until Path of Exile is released. Curse you GGG!

From original poster of this thread I saw your post and decided to support PoE. I just bought the $25 Kiwi pack and am downloading the beta now. It looked better than D3 and sounds better than D3 from what I have read on these forums. I still have the Collectors Edition of Diablo III coming but it might collect more dust much much sooner than I thought...lol
Control is an illusion!!!
"
Raycheetah wrote:

What makes one "look like an ass" (aside from comments just like that one) is to accuse someone of trolling without backing it up. Otherwise, those who read threads casually (and who don't care to bother going back and fact-checking your observation) have nothing to base their interpretations your statement on but hearsay.

We get enough of that sort of garbage from the so-called "news media," which, these days, can make pretty much any sort of claim, and expect the vast majority of those who hear the story to accept it as gospel. So, for you to observe something so specific about another poster without benefit of a quote requires those who read your post to either take its accuracy on faith, or consider that, just perhaps, you might be less than accurate.

Bravo, then, for you having dredged up the requisite documentary quote. thepmrc did, indeed, admit to trolling, and that's unfortunate. It tends to discredit one's every statement when one is confirmed to have behaved trollishly.

Too bad, then, that so many others who do won't come clean, yeah? However regrettable, I fail to weep at these truths. =^[.]^=

Wow wouldn't it be nice if you could now act all mature and superior and somehow erase the post you did where you said 'quote or STFU' in reply to something that had nothing whatsoever to do with you. Sorry mate you called someone out to try and appear all clever, even then gloating when I didnt instantly reply (sorry for having a life away from the boards) And then when I did 'QUOTE OR STFU' as YOU told me, you then try to take some laughable moral highground and become some sort of apologist for his behaviour by suggesting hes 'at least honest'...

You thought you were being clever, you weren't. You just made an ass of yourself by getting involved in an argument you knew nothing about, had not followed and then defending someone who openly admitted to trolling at least 3 of of us who all did our utmost to counter his arguments even when he clearly had no valid point left and had devolved into insults and name calling. Better yet you someohow attempt to defend your comment by likening my claim to the 'evil news media' (tinfoil hats at the ready) I literally am flabbergasted by your response, have the good grace to admit you were wrong and well, to quote you... 'STFU'

"
Ultreos wrote:
This game has competitive leagues designed and specifically catered to grinding out levels as quickly as possible. Do I need to give you more evidence within the boundaries of this game or do you just turn a blind eye to the exact nature of the game you play for the sake of proving an argument you enjoy more?

The game can in fact be like a journey to you. Saying Diablo 3 is less a journey then PoE is a lie, because for the same reason they are both a journey, they are both equally a grind.

Turning a blind eye is easy for both sides of the spectrum.

Your game supports the intentional nature of grinding as quickly as possible in a competitive league. If this game was more about the journey then Diablo is, why is your game promoting getting levels as fast as possible to compete with others.

Or do you prefer blind eyeing that as well.

I did not say you aren't free to enjoy that game.

I asked you not to outright lie.

Totally agree with you, ARPGs are the very height of grind gameplay. Much more so arguably than any MMO ever made. Sure some MMOs (especially Asian ones) are very grind heavy but they at least have social metagames and some form of endgoal to make the grinding worthwhile. ARPGs are just about grinding for the sake of grinding. This ridiculous assumption that people play D2 and its descendents for the 'the journey' is total folly, yes eventually when playing any ARPG for a long time you will at some stage reroll new characters to test out new things, but thats not cause the journey is so amazing, its cause the destination is basically devoid of any point. So in time all players will get bored playing their max level toons on D2 cause without another purpose it just become aimless repetition.

Games that are journey based are games like the old school RPGs, fallout 1 & 2, Baldurs Gate, Neverwinter Nights (some of my favourite ever games) and some newer titles like Mass Effect, Skyrim but im not a fan of those. Those games are about the leveling experience, D2 is not about the journey. Indeed D2 and all current ARPGs are quite unique in that they aren't about the journey or the destination, they just come down to one thing, if you enjoy watching random loot drop. They are magpie games for gamers who get a kick out of collecting potentially endless loot combinations... thats it.

The best ARPGs manage to add an element of journey or destination, thats what sets them aside but ultimately they can succeed without either. A classic example being Torchlight 1, which has no story to speak of, is visually repetitive to point of tedium and has no end purpose.

All these people berating D3 for trying to add a purpose to the endgame are the same people who like POE. I happen to think both are great games in their own way, but make no mistake GGG also know that POE cannot survive long term without an endgame. There are even multiple dev posts about what sort of 'endgame' players will want. So am I to assume that all these pompous 'its about the journey' players will stop playing POE when they implement the endgame in POE?? Will this offend them so that they quit playing??

No of course not, its hypocrisy. Every nuance and new idea that D3 gets berated for is something that POE also has, it just takes a different approach. It comes down to which approach you prefer, I happen to prefer D3s approach, but that doesn't make POE 'crap' or 'easy mode' or 'casual friendly' (like thats a bad thing) or 'simplistic'... And that sort of language is my issue with D3 haters, if they dont like it fine but why the need to make yourself feel superior, who are you trying to convince? Its hilarious really what with being told that I 'cant accept others opinons' that D3 haters must with every comment attempt to belittle and poke fun at a game they will not play. Personally I still think in many examples its a case of 'protesting to much' I think truth be told many of these so called haters are just following a trend they think sets them apart as 'serious/hardcore' gamers, you can tell by the language they use. They think casual play is a dirty word and that games must be backward thinking and cling to past ideals to have any credibility. The funniest thing of all is that POE is also progressive, it to removes and changes key elements from D2 and it to WILL have an extensive endgame, despite all this nonsense about 'journey'...
Last edited by RodHull on Apr 30, 2012, 9:58:39 AM
I like that POE doesn't have gold... I love the "new" currency system.

I like the POE passive skill tree. It gives me a sense of leveling up "my way".

I like that gems/skills are leveled up separatly from my character.

I like Maelstrom, but I'm not sure it will survive the Live version of the game.

My mother always says "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all". That other new arpg.
Last edited by vidiotking on Apr 30, 2012, 10:15:42 AM
"
My mother always says "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all". That other new arpg.

Soooooo OP and this entire thread is wrong.....Also global chat and 75% of the posts on these forums.

"
From original poster of this thread I saw your post and decided to support PoE. I just bought the $25 Kiwi pack and am downloading the beta now. It looked better than D3 and sounds better than D3 from what I have read on these forums. I still have the Collectors Edition of Diablo III coming but it might collect more dust much much sooner than I thought...lol

ROFL and I thought all the people playing the open beta of D3 for 90 minutes and saying it is garbage is bad. So you haven't played this game, and assume you are going to not want to play D3 at all after spending 100 bucks on it. And your info is based on what? Seriously.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info