[3.16] Coldslinger | Vortex | Creeping Frost | League Start | SSF | CI/LL

The more I think about EE, the more confused I am now.

White and rare mobs die instantly, so those dont matter with EE

But Unique mobs and Bosses, they don't die right away. So we get them with the Brand and they get cold Debuffed.

But dont they get +50% cold resist the isntant they get hit by any of our 10 cold skills?

I have frostbolts flying everywhere, vortex all over the screen. Isnt that cold damage going to constantly overwrite my brand?
"
qlasboy wrote:
Which gem is better inspiration or hyphotermia in vortex 6 link?
In my PoB Hypothermia adds 39% dps while Inspiration adds 35% (at full charges). Most of the time you'll be at full dps, but there will be brief periods where you lose all inspiration charges and your damage drops. However the reduction in vortex mana cost made my clearing feel much much smoother. Maybe if you have a ton of mana reservation corruptions on your gems you'll have enough mana and mana regen to swap in Hypothermia, but until you do Inspiration's QoL is worth it in my opinion.
"
Reconican wrote:

But Unique mobs and Bosses, they don't die right away. So we get them with the Brand and they get cold Debuffed.

But dont they get +50% cold resist the isntant they get hit by any of our 10 cold skills?

I have frostbolts flying everywhere, vortex all over the screen. Isnt that cold damage going to constantly overwrite my brand?
TLDR: Your brand hits frequently enough that most of the damage the boss takes will be while it is weak to cold.

EE increases enemy's resistance for any types of elemental damages they take from a hit. All types of elemental damage on a given hit are applied at the same time, so multiple types (e.g. fire and cold) will increase both resistances. Note damage over time does not proc EE, so after the initial vortex hit an enemy's resistance is not affected by vortex.

To your earlier post, even if you have lightning or fire damage added to a skill that hits (like power siphon), your Hatred Aura converts a % of physical damage to cold. So any time you hit an enemy they will take cold damage and get increased cold resistance.

This means that you shouldn't be attacking bosses constantly. Our spellslinger build aims to have all of the skill hits occur together (making the enemy resistant to cold), then the brand will continuously hit (making the enemy weak to cold) while the rest of the skills do damage over time (not affecting enemy resistances).

So an efficient play style is what you'll see elsewhere in the forum referred to as a stutter-step. You'll want to attack, then run, then attack, then run, keeping your distance from the boss. The goal is to keep your skills (brand, frost bomb, creeping frost, cold snap, vortex) all applied consistently without spamming them.
"
"
Reconican wrote:

TLDR: Your brand hits frequently enough that most of the damage the boss takes will be while it is weak to cold.

EE increases enemy's resistance for any types of elemental damages they take from a hit. All types of elemental damage on a given hit are applied at the same time, so multiple types (e.g. fire and cold) will increase both resistances. Note damage over time does not proc EE, so after the initial vortex hit an enemy's resistance is not affected by vortex.

To your earlier post, even if you have lightning or fire damage added to a skill that hits (like power siphon), your Hatred Aura converts a % of physical damage to cold. So any time you hit an enemy they will take cold damage and get increased cold resistance.

This means that you shouldn't be attacking bosses constantly. Our spellslinger build aims to have all of the skill hits occur together (making the enemy resistant to cold), then the brand will continuously hit (making the enemy weak to cold) while the rest of the skills do damage over time (not affecting enemy resistances).

So an efficient play style is what you'll see elsewhere in the forum referred to as a stutter-step. You'll want to attack, then run, then attack, then run, keeping your distance from the boss. The goal is to keep your skills (brand, frost bomb, creeping frost, cold snap, vortex) all applied consistently without spamming them.

Thanks so much for the detailed response, ill start working on that and see if I can notice a difference.

I have seen lots of different wand skill gems between the people in the thread, and on POE ninja builds. Lots of Orb of Storms with Storm Brand. And lots of Cold snap instead of OOS as well.

Do you think Frost BOmb, Frost Shield, and Storm brand are the best? Or is there some benefit to playing around with these.

I noticed i rarely stay in range of the frost shield, so i experimented with COld snap which is nice for frenzy charges, but is Orb of Storms a better option? or maybe ice nova?
"
Reconican wrote:
Spoiler
"
"
Reconican wrote:

Thanks so much for the detailed response, ill start working on that and see if I can notice a difference.

I have seen lots of different wand skill gems between the people in the thread, and on POE ninja builds. Lots of Orb of Storms with Storm Brand. And lots of Cold snap instead of OOS as well.

Do you think Frost BOmb, Frost Shield, and Storm brand are the best? Or is there some benefit to playing around with these.

I noticed i rarely stay in range of the frost shield, so i experimented with COld snap which is nice for frenzy charges, but is Orb of Storms a better option? or maybe ice nova?
To my mind you have to have Storm Brand (for EE) and Frost Bomb (for cold exposure). The third skill is up to you. I played for a while with Frost Shield and didn't really like it. I didn't like the ES hit (felt really big and dangerous) and didn't notice an improvement to survivability. So I went with Cold Snap for frenzy charges, which was a noticeable improvement to my clear speed. This build doesn't really have great clear speed due to the frostbolts being so slow, but the attack speed increase from frenzy charges makes the stutter step feel less clunky. Plus 12% more dps is nice even if you don't really need it while clearing.

One other thing though is that I'm still considering using Anomalous Frostbolt to apply cold exposure, freeing up the slot that Frost Bomb takes for something else like Frost Shield, Orb of Storms, or maybe even Tempest Shield.
Last edited by kevinbrightblade on Feb 5, 2021, 12:51:02 PM
Will 70 ex be enough for CI version of this?
Why do we need self control for mana res? im able to cast all my auras without issue.
I have 6k es, def need to upgrade my gloves and my rings, but im still getting 1shot by random mobs. i wonder what im missing.
I am almost 90 and im looking at the CI pob and i am just about 50% of the dps on vortex that it has and im wondering what im missing to gain that.

https://pastebin.com/JNfPs5kK

I know i can do better in a few slots but even when i change those with what he has in the PoB i fall short, am i missing something crutial?
Last edited by Rashnu311 on Feb 6, 2021, 9:34:29 AM
"
Blaine0002 wrote:
Why do we need self control for mana res? im able to cast all my auras without issue.
I have 6k es, def need to upgrade my gloves and my rings, but im still getting 1shot by random mobs. i wonder what im missing.
How quickly you kill stuff increases your survivability, so throw away your vortex and buy a 20/20 one, then level and quality your other vortex support gems asap.

Also you're missing an aura (either Flesh and Stone or Aspect of the Spider) that would use the mana two Self-Controls open up.

Lastly the difference between 6k, 7k and 8k ES feels bigger in terms of how often you die than just the numbers would suggest. At 8k ES there are very few one shots in the game. At 6k ES it feels like 30% of the game is one shots.
Last edited by kevinbrightblade on Feb 6, 2021, 9:51:35 AM
"
Rashnu311 wrote:
I am almost 90 and im looking at the CI pob and i am just about 50% of the dps on vortex that it has and im wondering what im missing to gain that.

https://pastebin.com/JNfPs5kK

I know i can do better in a few slots but even when i change those with what he has in the PoB i fall short, am i missing something crucial?
Yeah change your vortex to 21/20 and your vortex supports to 20/20. You'll see your dps get almost to the original PoB. The rest of the difference is small things like your amulet annoint.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info