[3.13] Coldslinger | Vortex | Creeping Frost | League Start | Endgame | SSF [CI/LL]

This build focuses on Cold DoT (damage over time), where it uses the combination of two cold DoT spells for the main damage: Vortex and Creeping Frost. However, instead of the traditional, clunky self-cast, it utilizes two separate Spellslinger setups to launch out Frostbolt and Creeping Frost. When Vortex is self-cast while there are frostbolts on the screen, it will consume the Frostbolt to dump a Vortex there. Turns out, you can cover your map in about 3-4 attacks. There are two variations: CI and LL. Both can complete all endgame content, but there are varying levels of investment required.

TLDR:
○ Put Vortex on LMB. Attack on RMB. Attack. Profit.
○ PM me ingame for free trigger craft if you're using this build :).

League Starter POB for 3.13:

○ CI Occultist, Level 88: 950k shaper dps
POB: https://pastebin.com/nxjmuWgE

○ Life/ES hybrid Trickster, Level 89 (experimental, not tested, but should be pretty good): 1m shaper dps
POB: https://pastebin.com/Gc4V5zqR

Endgame POBs for 3.13:

○ LL Occultist, Level 100: 3.5m shaper dps (moderately expensive)
POB: https://pastebin.com/FXYHceeG

○ CI Occultist (With Saqawal's Nest), Level 100: 3m shaper dps (extremely expensive)
POB: https://pastebin.com/1H8wwGWD

○ CI Occultist (Without Saqawal's), Level 100: 3m shaper dps (even more expensive)
POB: https://pastebin.com/Sa4Y4Vdf

Table of Contents
○ About This Build
○ Changelog
○ Videos
○ Gem links
○ Gear
○ Ascendancy, Skill Tree, and Pantheon
○ Leveling

About This Build
○ Vortex cast is instantaneous, so it can be held down while moving around and using flame dash. Vortex is not linked with Spellslinger.

○ When Vortex is held down while attacking with Frenzy, it will launch Frostbolts and Vortex on top of the Frostbolts. A Frozen Trail jewel is utilized to send out additional projectiles for the Vortex to cast on. ○ At the same time as all of this Creeping Frost will be launched to apply Bonechill.

○ This build is designed to be a progression of gear, but you can skip to whichever variation you have currency for. In terms of progression: League starter/budget -> LL -> Endgame CI (if you're into that stuff).

Changelog
○ 1/20/21 Optimized trees up to level 100.
○ 1/12/21- Updating for 3.13
○ 10/25/20- No major update with new 3.12 gear/gems. No noteworthy alternate quality gems except maybe Divergent Determination + Grace. Everything is up to date.
○ 9/22/20- Updated LL build
○ 9/20/20- Modified leveling progression based on feedback received.
○ 9/17/20- Updated POB for league start. Other POBs will be updated once league launches/POB is updated for the nerfed Spellslinger.
○ 7/7/20- Added experimental POBs that use WoC for -25% cold resistance.
○ 7/1/20- Further optimized the min/maxed endgame build. Now utilizes both Enfeeble and Temporal Chains, with Malediction being picked up instead of Vile Bastion.
○ 7/1/20- Added a "Mega budget" version to CI PoB.
○ 6/22/20- Wintertide is awful for this build. Do not use it.
○ 6/19/20- Updated league starter for 3.11. Will need to playtest Wintertide to see if it's worth it.
○ 4/16/20- Looks like GGG is keeping their "fix" (nerf) to the Cold Snap + Spellslinger interaction in patch 3.10.1d hush-hush. This is a buff.
○ 4/9/20- Added Deathless Shaper Video
○ 4/5/20- Updated PoBs, now using the new jewel clusters! (thanks to Soyaro for suggesting to look into the jewels). All versions now use Rime Gaze.
○ 3/29/20- Optimized low-life version with discipline/reservation nodes. Working on CI variation, but similar change there.
○ 3/22/20- Original

Videos
○ 1/13/21- [3.13] CI Moderate budget Setup (6L): https://youtu.be/d2oz2ydQe9M
○ 1/13/21- [3.13] CI Extreme Budget Setup (5L): https://youtu.be/sbGzM9qXVAQ
○ 4/9/20- [3.10] Deathless Shaper: https://youtu.be/g1QEZPi7kYs

League Start CI Version (Cheap)
Gear and Gem links
○ Helmet:
Spellslinger + Creeping Frost + Bone Chill + Hypothermia. At league start, just use a rare or regular Rime. Once the league is a few days/weeks in, grab a corrupted +2 cold, projectile, aoe, or duration.

○ Chest:
Vortex + Efficacy + Elemental Focus + Swift Affliction + Controlled Destruction + Inspiration. This is the priority of gems, inspiration is necessary to minimize Vortex's mana cost (which is pretty hefty). Just hold your Vortex key while you run through maps and attack, this will litter the ground with Vortices. Use an Incandescent Heart asap, it's insanely cheap and a free 25% less elemental damage taken. Incandescent Heart -> High ES + resistances rare.

○ Wand:
Storm Brand, Frost Bomb, and Frost Shield. It is required to have them in this order, with the wand "Trigger a socketed spell when you use a skill." This is solely for the EE proc and Frost Bomb debuff. Frost Shield purposely causes you to degen ES, which forces 50% increased energy shield recovery rate from Soul of Arakaali (Queen of the Great Tangle) and Wicked Ward to proc 1 second later. This makes you extremely tanky, and allows you to facetank things you shouldn't. It also ensures you have constant ES recharge going on from pack to pack if you're not hit. DO NOT GET A WAND WITH ADDED COLD DAMAGE TO ATTACKS OR SPELLS. This will ruin your EE and cause all of your spells/attacks to deal cold damage, which means enemies will permenently be +25% Cold Resistance. Prioritize +1 to all cold spells, as this will scale globally with all of your damage spells. Ensure it has "Trigger a socketed spell when you use a skill" or an open suffix to craft it on. % Spell damage, % cold damage, % area damage, or % cold damage over time multiplier is icing on the cake but not required for endgame.

○ Shield:
Spellslinger + Frostbolt, Discipline. Ideally, you're going to want a %ES on block, but that'll be hard to come by during league-start. A good alternative is Aegis Aurora. Do not link Discipline to the Spellslinger setup. Prioritize %ES on block -> ES -> +1 to level of cold spells -> resistances -> % spell damage.

○ Rings:
Prioritize resistances -> flat ES/% ES -> attributes -> % faster start of ES recharge.

○ Gloves:

Power Siphon + Hextouch Support + Frostbite + Enfeeble. Prioritize ES -> resistances -> +% cold damage multiplier.

○ Boots:

First 2L: Flame Dash + Arcane Surge (level 4). Second 2L: Cast When Damage is Taken (level 1) + Immortal Call (level 3). Prioritize ES -> movement speed -> resistances.

○ Amulet:

Prioritize +1 to level of all cold skill gems/+1 to level of all intelligence skill gems -> % increased ES -> resistances -> attributes. If you're looking for the most damage and an empty wallet, you can opt for +1 to cold gems, +1 to int gems, or +% cold damage over time multiplier. Anoint "Command of Steel" or "Tranquility" if you have the cash.

○ Belt:

There is no competing with Bated Breath. The cost is 1 alch, and it gives a ton of ES and survivability with 50% increased ES recharge rate. Look for a corrupted version that gives 12-15% to all resistances, as this will help you cap resistances easier.

○ Flasks:
#1: Quicksilver
#2: Rumi's Concoction
#3: Cinderswallow Urn
#4: Sulphur flask
#5: Utility flask. This can be Quartz/Basalt/Jade/Granite/Resistances

○ Jewels (one Frozen Trail is required, but another is really nice for additional clear speed):

Bandits, Ascendancy, Skill Tree, and Pantheon
○Bandits: Kill all

○Ascendancy: Void Beacon → Frigid Wake → Vile Bastion → Malediction

○ Tree Level 85 [League Start - CI]: http://poeurl.com/c8xi

○ Major Pantheon: Soul of Arakaali. Make sure to immediately upgrade Arakaali to unlock the 50% increased recovery rate of energy shield if you've stopped taking damage over time recently.

○ Minor Pantheon: Soul of Gruthkul

LL Version (Moderate)
Gear and Gem links

○ Helmet:
Spellslinger + Creeping Frost + Bone Chill + Hypothermia. At league start, just use a rare or regular Rime. Once the league is a few days/weeks in, grab a corrupted +2 cold, projectile, aoe, or duration.

○ Chest:
Vortex + Efficacy + Elemental Focus + Swift Affliction + Controlled Destruction + Inspiration. This is the priority of gems, inspiration is necessary to minimize Vortex's mana cost (which is pretty hefty). Shavronne's required.

○ Wand:
Storm Brand, Frost Bomb, and Frost Shield. It is required to have them in this order, with the wand "Trigger a socketed spell when you use a skill." This is solely for the EE proc and Frost Bomb debuff. Frost Shield purposely causes you to degen ES, which forces 50% increased energy shield recovery rate from Soul of Arakaali (Queen of the Great Tangle) and Wicked Ward to proc 1 second later. This makes you extremely tanky, and allows you to facetank things you shouldn't. It also ensures you have constant ES recharge going on from pack to pack if you're not hit. DO NOT GET A WAND WITH ADDED COLD DAMAGE TO ATTACKS OR SPELLS. This will ruin your EE and cause all of your spells/attacks to deal cold damage, which means enemies will permenently be +25% Cold Resistance. Prioritize +1 to all cold spells, as this will scale globally with all of your damage spells. Ensure it has "Trigger a socketed spell when you use a skill" or an open suffix to craft it on. % Spell damage, % cold damage, % area damage, or % cold damage over time multiplier is icing on the cake but not required for endgame.

○ Shield:
Malevolence + Zealotry + Hatred. Prism Guardian Required.

○ Rings:
One ring must have an open socket to fit in Discipline. Prioritize 1 socket ring -> resistances -> flat ES/% ES -> attributes -> % faster start of ES recharge.

○ Gloves:

First 2L:Spellslinger + Frostbolt,
Second 2L: Flame Dash + Arcane Surge (level 5). Only link Spellslinger to Frostbolt, do not link Spellslinger with Arcane Surge or Flame Dash. Prioritize ES -> +% cold damage multiplier -> resistances.

○ Boots:

Power Siphon + Hextouch Support + Frostbite + Enfeeble. Prioritize ES -> movement speed -> resistances. Rainbowstrides are a great option if you don't want to shell out a ton on good rare boots.

○ Amulet:

You can throw in a rare amulet or Presence of Chayula, depending if you want to cap off chaos resistance. For a rare, prioritize +1 to level of all cold skill gems/+1 to level of all intelligence skill gems -> % increased ES -> resistances -> attributes. If you're looking for the most damage and an empty wallet, you can opt for +1 to cold gems, +1 to int gems, or +% cold damage over time multiplier. Anoint "Tranquility" if you've got the cash, but "Command of Steel" is a great alternative.

○ Belt [All variations]:

There is no competing with Bated Breath. The cost is 1 alch, and it gives a ton of ES and survivability with 50% increased ES recharge rate.

○ Flasks:
#1: Quicksilver
#2: Rumi's Concoction
#3: Cinderswallow Urn
#4: Sulphur flask
#5: Utility flask. This can be Quartz/Basalt/Jade/Granite/Resistances

○ Jewels (required):

A large cluster with % cold damage, the lowest # of passives, and at least 2 notables should be your target. Preferable notables are % cold damage over time multiplier, Prismatic Heart, or Disorienting Display. The LL variation requires one medium jewel to have Self-Control on it- this is to reduce the Discipline reservation cost. The other medium can be % damage over time multiplier with Vile Reinvigoration and Brush with Death (or whatever you have is fine). It also requires at least 2% total reduced mana reserved corrupted modifier from jewels (just get 2 corrupted Frozen Trails) to get enough reservation.

Bandits, Ascendancy, Skill Tree, and Pantheon
○Bandits: Kill all

○ Tree level 100 (LL): http://poeurl.com/daao

○Ascendancy (if you want to cap chaos resistance, recommended): Void Beacon -> Frigid Wake -> Malediction -> Withering Presence

○Alternate Ascendancy (if you want Profane Bloom Pops): Void Beacon -> Frigid Wake -> Malediction -> Profane Bloom

○ Major Pantheon: Soul of Arakaali. Make sure to immediately upgrade Arakaali to unlock the 50% increased recovery rate of energy shield if you've stopped taking damage over time recently.

○ Minor Pantheon: Soul of Gruthkul

Fastest Leveling/League Start Progression

○ Tree progression: prioritize % spell damage nodes to progress through the acts quicker. I'd recommend to start the league as follows:
From here, continue along the normal progression of the tree, prioritizing damage nodes first over % ES nodes. ES items scale incredibly disproportionately through the acts, so you won't find any decent ES gear until maps. Once you transition to CI, respec these points.

○ Gear Progression: Use any wands with high % spell damage, % cold damage, or % cold damage over time multiplier. For armors, prioritize flat life/flat ES.

○ Act 1:
-Grab Stormblast Mine and link it with Arcane Surge + Added Lightning Damage + Added Cold Damage. You can opt for Arc later, but I prefer Stormblast Mine.

-Grab Orb of Storms and use it in parallel to Stormblast Mine. Link it with another set of Arcane Surge + Added Lightning Damage + Added Cold Damage (priority). Frost Bomb could also be used in conjunction.

-Buy Power Siphon to be used later on with the Spellslinger setup.

-Buy Lesser Multiple Projectiles to be used in the Frostbolt setup later on. Don't use it now (put it in alternate weapons or open gem slots to level as you progress).

-Buy Vitality and use it as soon as possible. Buy a white/blue Amber Amulet if you need more Str. The amount of regen this provides early on is amazing.

-Grab Creeping Frost but don't use it (put it in alternate weapons or open gem slots to level as you progress). This is very important to do, or else your Creeping Frost will be way under-leveled by the time you can use it.

-Grab Flame dash and link it to Arcane Surge for more damage when you swap out Arcane Surge for better gems in your damage setups. Keep this Arcane Surge at level 4 or lower.

-Buy Efficacy but don't use it (put it in an alternate weapon or open gem slot to level as you progress). This will be used in the Vortex later on.

-Grab Arc and use it if you prefer it over Stormblast Mine (I personally think the mine is much better for speeding through acts until you get Spellslinger). Regardless, level it up as you go

○ Act 2:
-Continue using Stormblast Mine or Arc.

-Grab 2x Controlled Destruction + 2x Elemental Focus when available and link one of each into Stormblast Mine/Arc and Orb of Storms (swap out Added Lightning Damage and Added Cold Damage). The other Controlled Destruction/Elemental Focus will be used in the Creeping Frost Spellslinger setup later.

○ Act 3:
-Grab TWO Spellslingers as soon as you can. If you don't already have Vortex yet, temporarily link: Spellslinger + Arc + Added Lightning Damage + Controlled Destruction for the first setup. For the second setup, link Spellslinger + Wave of Conviction + Controlled Destruction (ideally Added Lightning to apply Lightning Exposure) + Elemental Focus. Drop Vitality until you have enough mana reservation to use it (keep it in an alternate weapon or open gem slot to level still). You'll only have enough mana to use two 4L Spellslinger setups, do not try to link more than this. Spellslinger will trigger both spell setups with one attack. These two setups will be used until you have Vortex.

-Use the Spell Siphon you got earlier to trigger your Spellslingers (this does not need to be linked).

-After you complete "Sever the Right Hand", you'll have the option to grab a Vortex, grab it. Now the magic begins.

-Link Vortex + Controlled Destruction + Elemental Focus + Efficacy. DO NOT link Vortex with Spellslinger. Put Vortex on your left mouse button, so that it triggers automatically when you move. You can also put it on another button to manually trigger it.

-Now it's time to swap around the Spellslinger setups. For the first setup, link: Spellslinger + Frostbolt + Lesser Multiple Projectiles. For the second setup, link: Spellslinger + Creeping Frost + Controlled Destruction + Elemental Focus.

-Add Vitality back in if you have the mana.

-Buy Frostbite, but don't use it (put it in alternate weapons or open gem slots to level as you progress).

-Buy Discipline, but don't use it since you probably don't have the mana (put it in alternate weapons or open gem slots to level as you progress).

○ Act 4:

-Grab a Hextouch support and link Power Siphon + Hextouch Support + Frostbite.

-Buy Bonechill Support when possible, swap out the Elemental Focus in Creeping Frost with Bonechill Support.

○ Act 5:
-MAKE SURE YOU GRAB FROZEN TRAIL. THIS IS MANDATORY. Put your Frozen trail gem in the jewel socket by Glancing Blows. One you have this jewel, remove the Lesser Multiple Projectiles from the Frostbolt setup.

○ Act 6:
-Complete Lily's quest so you can buy any skill gem you want. Buy Inspiration and Swift Affliction. Add in Inspiration and Swift Affliction if you have a Tabula (doubtful you'll be able to afford the mana cost though).

-Buy Hypothermia from Lily and swap out Controlled Destruction with Hypothermia in the Creeping Frost. This is to reduce the mana reservation cost.

○ Act 7:

-Around this time, you should have enough mana to reserve Vitality again. Swap it back in.

○ Act 8:
-The chaos degen in Doedre's Sewers is abysmal. If you haven't by now, put in Vitality. I'm serious... make sure you do, or you'll have a bad time. If you're real zesty, grab Chaos Inoculation (not recommended, at all).

-MAKE SURE YOU GRAB CONQUEROR'S EFFICIENCY. Socket it in the available jewel socket near Elemental Equilibrium or the left side of the tree.

-Add in Discipline when possible- swap out Vitality if you need to (but only after you pass Doedre's Sewers).

○ Act 9:
-Nothing of note here. Continue.

○ Act 10:
-Smack Kitava in the face with your balls.
Last edited by Clydehart on Jan 30, 2021, 9:49:28 AM
Last bumped on Feb 27, 2021, 11:54:21 AM
Reserved
Reserved
Reserved
Reserved
HI,I have been play this build ,and i like it ,ty
I have a question here , why do you link cold snap with Efficacy not Hypothermia?

"
lengzhou112 wrote:
HI,I have been play this build ,and i like it ,ty
I have a question here , why do you link cold snap with Efficacy not Hypothermia?

Glad you like the build! The helmet is a shaper helmet, with the affix "Socketed Gems are Supported By Level 16-20 Hypothermia." This allows you to utilize Efficacy. If you don't have a helmet with this mod, it's definitely better to use hypothermia than efficacy for the benefit of Bonechill!
I'm excited to see there are some others experimenting with Spellslinger+Cold, Good Work! I actually attempted a low-life crit cold build first. I didn't have the attack/cast speed to really push the damage. I wanted to hear your thoughts on two things I'm struggling with.

- How has your survivability been in red tier maps? I'm at 7K ES, but I do not have the Sorrow of the Divine. I've really struggled and I feel like a stiff breeze will take me down.

- I noticed that in your Low Life version, you only run Malevolence on Blood Magic. That means you have ~50% of your HP available for another aura. Why do you only have that one on blood magic?
"
Dekunuts wrote:
I'm excited to see there are some others experimenting with Spellslinger+Cold, Good Work! I actually attempted a low-life crit cold build first. I didn't have the attack/cast speed to really push the damage. I wanted to hear your thoughts on two things I'm struggling with.

- How has your survivability been in red tier maps? I'm at 7K ES, but I do not have the Sorrow of the Divine. I've really struggled and I feel like a stiff breeze will take me down.

- I noticed that in your Low Life version, you only run Malevolence on Blood Magic. That means you have ~50% of your HP available for another aura. Why do you only have that one on blood magic?

Blood magic gives you a high multiplier 100%+ until like lvl 18-19 so you can't even use malevolence with it until then as it will reserve over 100% of your life.
"
"
Dekunuts wrote:

Blood magic gives you a high multiplier 100%+ until like lvl 18-19 so you can't even use malevolence with it until then as it will reserve over 100% of your life.

As Hydras said, BM has a ridiculously high multiplier- so only one aura.

In terms of survivability- it's been okay, but I still struggle with T16s and Delirium (mostly because of on-death effects. I'm like a bug attracted to a bright light when it comes to on-death mechanics...). I recently tuned the build a little, to allow for the use of discipline- which has now put the CI variation up to about 8.8k ES and low life to 7.8k ES. The single, most powerful item to boost survivability is a watcher's eye with % faster start of ES regen while using discipline (brings the regen timer from 1.5s to 1s). In specific to your build (looks like you have a trickster variant), you'll need to heavily invest in hybrid gear or bump up your evasion much more to make the perfect form worth it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info