Linux Compatability?

Well hang on a sec. The Left 4 Dead pilot that Valve did was still the Direct3D client, per their comment:

http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux/faster-zombies/#comment-4332

"

We use a modified abstraction layer (based on the original Mac OS X work) that translates Direct3D calls to the proper OpenGL calls. This layer has received the most work but changes have also been made above this layer that resulted in improved performance.

So I think it's really up in the air as to whether GGG could feasibly make a port or not.
Hi, Lu, Czesc

I'm new PathofExile player using Funtoo Gnu:Linux Operating System.
I am pleased to be able to test a online Action RPG game without having to install Steam ball on my Gnu:Linux OS.
But I hope that a day, I will be able to play this kind of game natively as it was possible for the great time of neverwinter Night.
In the meantime, I want to thanks all the great Wine programmers who were able to reproduce the worst Operating System, to play your game.

THX all
this entire thread is full of fail. game over.
"
Skarr wrote:
"
Gien wrote:
There isn't really enough people using linux to justify making a linux version. So probaly not.

Tell that to the other 30-60 million people using Linux.

And the 1-2% playing? Still not worth it
"
coolmoos wrote:
"
Skarr wrote:
"
Gien wrote:
There isn't really enough people using linux to justify making a linux version. So probaly not.

Tell that to the other 30-60 million people using Linux.

And the 1-2% playing? Still not worth it

Still not worth it? Last time I checked, GGG are doing this not for the cash... If they make let's say, 3000 players happy with a good Linux client, how it is not worth it? Besides, most Lunix users are avid supporters of anything not $$$-related.

Also, if some fat Linux foundation may actually fund the further development of the game.
"
Skarr wrote:
Will there be a version of this game that runs natively on Linux?

If not, has anyone tried running it in Wine?

The current "mac'" port runs on wine. It bugs hard on macs a lot of fps issues, maybe it runs better on linux. The engine is made/modified by the guy who runs it maybe you can't just a select a standard engine and it might just go with it.
"
jhorphear wrote:
this entire thread is full of fail. game over.

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."

Linux wasn't taken serious by the Unix vendors - nor the Windows Server companies.
Now it dominates on Supercomputers and servers.

When you google something - you're a linux user.
When you send email - you're a Linux user (even if you use Outlook as cour client).

Then it conquered embedded and mobile. (Your Router, your TV, possibly your Smartphone and/or your Tabler is likely to run on a Linux kernel.)

Various governments and companies have switched to Linux even for desktops.
Countries like China, India and Russia cannot risk having proprietary Windows (managed by a US company that is being handled by the NSA) running their mission critical software. The same is true in the long run for any big company.

If you're aunt is one of the many people who just use an email client and a browser - there's only disadvantages to doing so on a Windows machine (higher cost, higher risk, lower security - same ease of use - it's a browser on any OS).

Gaming is one of the last great bastions of Windows and last great obstacle for Linux on the desktop.
Next year Valve releases steamos and partner companies will offer a range of "consoles" (Steam Machine).

It takes longer than some of us would like - but days of the Windows desktop are numbered. It's not a matter of "if" - just how long.

I like to play games - I haven't booted into Windows for years.
Why not use virtual machine?
If I don't want to use Windows - how does a VM help me?
It would run Windows - which I don't want to use - even if the 3D accel runs good enough.

I tolerate wine for a few exceptions (EVE, Borderlands, PoE) - but beyond that it either has to run on Linux - or I find another game that does. There's now plenty of games available - more than I have time to play.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info