Linux Compatability?

wanted to ask same thing. But I really doubt it will be possible to play on Linux :\
Guys, it's all about the patience and luck (to get an invite). Please, reply in this topic if any linux user will get an invite.
"
D_Homes wrote:
"
Skarr wrote:
Tell that to the other 30-60 million people using Linux.

Yes, because 30 million Linux users (mostly servers) want to play Path Of Exile.

How would you know it is not possible to have that kind of number, if Path of Exile is given out as an option to play on Linux O/S? In fact, they are many people gaming on Linux. Yes, the people that aren't using Windows to play their games, nowadays. The main point here is that if it is an enjoyable game, and the game is popular, and GGG has no impractical reasons to expand, then I see no reason why Path of Exile shouldn't be ported to have a native version of Linux. Having say that most Linux users are mostly using it for it's servers' applications is rather stereotype and outdated viewpoint. Besides being a stable and robust O/S, it has been transformed into a user friendly O/S, comes with strong multimedia application and hardware supports. In short, if GGG had a chance, I'll say why not giving it a shot.
even for popular distros like ubuntu? ig nt huh
The marketshare of linux of desktop PCs is currently estimated around 2%. Even if you would assume a linux user is two times as likely intrested in spending money on PoE it would still not be worth it. And this ignores the fact that alot of linux users are used to run games with workarounds.

I dont say linux support is always bad, but it should not be a high priority. It can only be worth it if it helps to establish a name on the linux market.
native linux support is unlikely, as it is with most games, but that's not official.

Linux users probably have two choices... install windows on a partition to play, or finagle it to work within one of the common game workarounds.

Imo there is no reason to go strictly *nix unless you really want a difficult time finding entertainment :P
If you have account problems please [url="http://www.pathofexile.com/support"]Email Support[/url]
"
dnygren09 wrote:
even for popular distros like ubuntu? ig nt huh

Yup, one of the many Linux distribution for gaming purpose. If I had to choose one currently, this will be the one I'll try first.

"
Droggeltasse wrote:
The marketshare of linux of desktop PCs is currently estimated around 2%.
Even if you would assume a linux user is two times as likely intrested in spending money on PoE it would still not be worth it. And this ignores the fact that alot of linux users are used to run games with workarounds.

In short, it is not worthy to produce a popular game under a 2% market share 0/S? That's a bit harsh, almost sounds like a death penalty. A google/yahoo/"whatever", you would find a company that find a profic from developing a game under that "2% market share" O/S. Whether a big or small profit, worthy or not, that's another discussion. In my previous post, I merely saying don't rule out on a native Linux version of POE yet.

"
Droggeltasse wrote:
I dont say linux support is always bad, but it should not be a high priority. It can only be worth it if
it helps to establish a name on the linux market.

Nor do I imply that you were saying linux support is always bad, nor do I imply that it should be a high priority. Besides helping establishing a good name under the linux market, generating a profit out of POE under Linux platform can be possible and worthy if only if POE is popular and GGG finds it practical and a need to expand, of course.

Let's put it this way, there is no reliable source to collect the O/S market share information, let alone the gaming market share's. There are too many hardware ranges from supercomputer to a small device like a smartphone etc. Each devices can be categorized into a dominant O/S one to a diverse O/S. Not to mention, most devices are sold with pre-installed O/S, ie Windows, or including pirated copies, if you will. Those numbers were literally taken for granted when calculating the market share as well. Now, you would guess, how many users made a switch to use other O/S instead of Windows, in this case?
No one cares!? Laugh out aloud. In this market complexity, getting the real/accurate O/S usage share is virtually impossile. That 2% is merely based on the web client operating systems, what about others? Does that 2% implies that
no potential to develope a game under that platform? No one has an absolute answers, yet.

"
zeto wrote:
native linux support is unlikely, as it is with most games, but that's not official.

Indeed, looking at how POE is progressing and the scale and the resources that GGG has, forking out an extra line of production is highly unlikely. Lets see how POE goes when it's official or if it's getting popular or not.

"
zeto wrote:
Linux users probably have two choices... install windows on a partition to play, or finagle it to work within one of the common game workarounds.

Which is always the case, I'm not denying it. The Linux users have to settle down with what's available but not with a choice when playing a proprietary typed of games... Please note that I'm not complaining that GGG isn't releasing a native Linux version of POE right now, but I'm hoping to see one to exist in future.

"
zeto wrote:
Imo there is no reason to go strictly *nix unless you really want a difficult time finding entertainment :P

Neither do I asking for a difficult time in search for an entertainment nor do I say strictly goes for *nix when playing POE as an entertainment. I would be too ego and naive if these were true. Before anyone goes mad and says "you want to play games get windows." or anything similar to that, please chill out. All I'm merely saying, if a gamer were given out an option to play his favorite game on a different 0/S platform, especially in this case, if there's a minute chance that GGG would roll out a native Linux version of POE in future, you wouldn't expect me to play it on Windows for sure. :)
I'll follow that up by saying the market situation for the last 2 decades is extremely unfortunate. Windows is a mess, and *nix is a vastly superior product framework.

I wish *nix was supported 99% of the time instead of 1% of the time, but that's the way it is I guess...
If you have account problems please [url="http://www.pathofexile.com/support"]Email Support[/url]
Well nice to know people try to play this on all systems
Can I get some water please
Ok, first post here (honestly, I hadn't heard about this game until visiting the booth at PAX, and getting a beta key)... but I think the demand for a Linux client is alot higher and worthwhile than some might think. Yeah, I know, dominantly Windows has the lion's share (and yes, I keep Windows dual-booting on my system, as well, but only for "the gaming necessity").

But anyhow, the example of demand I would cite (and encourage the devs to look at) would be the Humble Indie Bundle. Whether you have heard of it or not, check out the statistics of their sales (which they always post after the sale is over).

But digressing, it sounds like some folks have done some Wine testing, but perhaps not too recently. I'll try and give it a go, when I have a chance.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info