Linux Compatability?

Here's hoping for a working version, be it with wine or a linux client.
Your issue with any type of VM is going to be GFX.

None of the current VM's that I know of have an emulated GFX card good enough to run this game.

Your only option is dual boot.

Never wrestle with a pig. You'll only get muddy, and the pig likes it!

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

"De plumber fixes de sync with de wrench." - Robert_Paulson
Last edited by GodlyMe on Jul 23, 2012, 6:38:38 PM
lol @ all of the posts wishing PoE would work under wine..

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/8980
"
GodlyMe wrote:
Your issue with any type of VM is going to be GFX.

None of the current VM's that I know of have an emulated GFX card good enough to run this game.

Your only option is dual boot.

That's not true actually.

You have two choices:

1. Use the Wine Direct3D .dll file for DirectX to pipeline it directly through D3D. Basically a hack.

2. If your CPU supports VT-d (http://www.intel.com/technology/itj/2006/v10i3/2-io/7-conclusion.htm) the VM has full (read: absolute) hardware access to the graphics card.

So, you can use Xen or I also believe KVM to fully run any DirectX game with decent performance.

Instructions are on a few hundred websites and forums, also a few dozen video tutorials on youtube with proof aka running Crysis 2 Maxed out via Xen as a example.

It's far from user friendly though.
Why is there a discussion if no one uses Linux?

I havent used windows since 3.1. I see no need. I buy Linux games (granted FPS games, Unreal, Doom et al.) but I used to play Diablo on wine. I am interested in this game.

Will there be a client?
"
xanmalone wrote:

2. If your CPU supports VT-d (http://www.intel.com/technology/itj/2006/v10i3/2-io/7-conclusion.htm) the VM has full (read: absolute) hardware access to the graphics card.

So, you can use Xen or I also believe KVM to fully run any DirectX game with decent performance.

Instructions are on a few hundred websites and forums, also a few dozen video tutorials on youtube with proof aka running Crysis 2 Maxed out via Xen as a example.

It's far from user friendly though.

I've set up a new system that uses Xen and VGA passthrough and it works great. If anyone is interested in doing it, there are several resources out there that explain how to set this up, but remember one thing : NVIDIA cards suck for this (or at least they did 3 months ago). I can give more details if anyone is interested.
Yearh i heard ati is the way to go with linux,but they have added some nvidia drivers on linux like week ago altho theres alot work in progress regarding nvidia.
Last edited by Iceymir on Oct 13, 2012, 6:47:20 PM
PoE works perfectly using PlayOnLinux. Still we are talking of emulation.
A native version would be very much appreciated. Especially now that steam is progressively moving to linux, the attention on the linux gaming world is becoming huge!
Blizzard will release its first official AAA game for linux this year and many many other companies are starting to port their games to linux.
I would be happy to see PoE among those companies willing to invest in linux. I am sure that Kickstarter could help you with that. I am sure you'll get a great economic support for this splendid game if you plan a Mac and linux port using kickstarter..I would pay for it!
Would love to play it natively on Linux, since I use Linux exclusively for work and everything else. I have Win installed only and just for occasional gaming.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
I highly doubt GGG have the resources to port the C#/.NET/DirectX/whatever-win-crap behemoth that is PoE unfortunatly. However, as previously stated, it runs brilliantly under wine. I also noticed that some of you said that there will never be any games on linux and/or no developers even considering it.

I would then like to direct you to Valve and the fact that they have a Linux Steam client and are committed to port their 2400 strong games library to Linux. Even going so far as to release a Linux based gaming console. Further more Blizzard have (semi unofficially) announced that they will release a Linux version of one of their clients this year, and many other studios are also looking in to Linux. With the train wreck that is Windows 8 it seems we are headed towards a Linux future for games.
Last edited by Rebecque on Jan 31, 2013, 7:27:58 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info