Linux Compatability?

I would say that a Linux version is unlikely, for the simple reason that I don't think this team has the resources to develop and maintain two separate versions of the game. I don't know if they use DirectX or OpenGL, very often, if a game is designed to run on multiple platforms from the start, it's not a huge issue, but games that are Windows-specific are really hard to port. The other issue is that Linux has a huge number of distributions and versions out there, it would be challenging to say the least to get a game to work reliably across more than a couple distributions. Linux is just too fragmented. Why do you think companies that publish million-selling games don't even want to mess with it?
"
GuyOnEarth wrote:
I would say that a Linux version is unlikely, for the simple reason that I don't think this team has the resources to develop and maintain two separate versions of the game. I don't know if they use DirectX or OpenGL, very often, if a game is designed to run on multiple platforms from the start, it's not a huge issue, but games that are Windows-specific are really hard to port. The other issue is that Linux has a huge number of distributions and versions out there, it would be challenging to say the least to get a game to work reliably across more than a couple distributions. Linux is just too fragmented. Why do you think companies that publish million-selling games don't even want to mess with it?

Linux is fractious, there are many vendors out there selling their own brand of free software, but the game companies who have catered to linux gamers have been met with a lot of money and community support.

I'm not saying it's a cash cow waiting to be milked, but there certainly is an emerging market there to be nudged along. If you think linux is only run on servers, you are sorely out of touch sir. I bet the reason nobody develops for linux besides the support costs is that the linux community already puts so much effort into making windows games work on the platform, that most companies don't need to do it themselves. I play PoE on linux, along with many other games. They don't need much more effort than a simple install in windows would require.

Native installation packages makes it a lot more accessible for linux users though, so making a launcher which updates the game, and installs the settings in the right places would make it simpler for a game developer like GGG to make money, even if they have to support a few wine installations every once in a while.
"
ionface wrote:
"
GuyOnEarth wrote:

Linux is fractious, there are many vendors out there selling their own brand of free software, but the game companies who have catered to linux gamers have been met with a lot of money and community support.

I'm not saying it's a cash cow waiting to be milked, but there certainly is an emerging market there to be nudged along. If you think linux is only run on servers, you are sorely out of touch sir. I bet the reason nobody develops for linux besides the support costs is that the linux community already puts so much effort into making windows games work on the platform, that most companies don't need to do it themselves. I play PoE on linux, along with many other games. They don't need much more effort than a simple install in windows would require.

Native installation packages makes it a lot more accessible for linux users though, so making a launcher which updates the game, and installs the settings in the right places would make it simpler for a game developer like GGG to make money, even if they have to support a few wine installations every once in a while.

I don't think of Linux as a server-only OS, by any means, I keep a Linux installation as a dual boot option at all times. I think it would be great if one of the Linux game groups would partner up to bring this game to Linux, nothing would please me more.
What it really comes down to is the amount of effort that is required to make the game run on Linux

Making the game run with WINE shouldn't be too difficult, but getting it to run nativity is entirely a different story

It completely depends on the libraries, graphics engine (DirectX versus OpenGL) and language that is used (if its in C# for example, that would be a lot harder than if its in C++, and even if its in C++ it depends on the how infrastructure that GGG uses)

The biggest problem with Linux actually is its segmentation regarding graphics drivers, which can make it a massive pain in the a** for gaming companies to official *support* linux
The game already works really well under wine: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/8980/highlight/
Begging for a linux version or complaining that there will not be a linux version is not productive. Contributing test results to wine appdb and especially posting how you got the game to work in wine appdb is productive.
I wanted to say that the game runs gorgeous on Wine.

With a quick fix for sound library related stuff, it goes just as well as running on Windows. I've played PoE on Ubuntu since day one and after the mentioned fix I haven't had a single crash.
Wine has become amazing the last couple of years, there's really no real need for Linux clients.

I'd run this on on my Linux boot if I could be bothered with getting overclocking to work there, but I can't, so I'm on Windows.
People don't think Linux when you say PC game. And it's not about to change. Use wine, and stop whining. ( hehe)
Would love a Linux version of the game. Hopefully GGG decides to make one.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info