youre doing it again [Removed by Support]

"
"
robmafia wrote:
...so because build x will be better than build y, the game should get sillier with every patch. got it.

"Exciting update for 3.10! We're nerfing damage for all skills by 50%!"

There, now is the game more fun?

yes, "fun" is always measured in damage dealt. in fact, if you do enough damage that you can one-shot anything in the game, then it would be a pinnacle of "fun"

amiright ?

if your idea of fun in poe is measured in damage, I feel sorry for you. I really do. you missed the times when poe was a real game.
"
Gordyne wrote:

Also the disparity between average and Top builds is insanely ridiculous.

I don't mind if a top build performs about 50% better than solid/average builds, but when it performs 10x better than there is a glaring balance problem.

y.
the discrepancy is mostly the product of theorycrafting and systems in PoE. it's a side effect, so to speak.

to bridge the gap, you either rebalance everything super-meticulously or you make a lot of things super generic and dumb down systems so everyone is roughly in the same range.

diablo 3/4 are the latter route. attack and defense, simple stats, caps on things like movespeed and very generic stat systems.

more balanced, but also a fucktton more boring and generic and bland.

its possible to have less power creep without furthering the gap more, just look at poe circa 2012/2013/2014
whats funny is that the gap between builds wouldnt be so obvious if it wasnt for streaming culture and poe ninja.

if poe was a thing during d2 times, far less people would care about gap of power between builds.

nowadays, someone can start playing poe, they will enjoy themselves, then they go to some random stream and see a build that is going at 10x their rate and they get pissed.

then they go to poe.ninja and they see the big picture. they get more pissed.

you cant have both complexity of poe systems and theorycrafting and narrow range between build power.

and each power creep iteration introduces more tools that builds can take advantage of, top ones will make use of it because they min max, thats just how things work.
"
grepman wrote:
"
Gordyne wrote:

I don't mind if a top build performs about 50% better than solid/average builds, but when it performs 10x better than there is a glaring balance problem.

y.
the discrepancy is mostly the product of theorycrafting and systems in PoE. it's a side effect, so to speak.

to bridge the gap, you either rebalance everything super-meticulously or you make a lot of things super generic and dumb down systems so everyone is roughly in the same range.

diablo 3/4 are the latter route. attack and defense, simple stats, caps on things like movespeed and very generic stat systems.

its possible to have less power creep without furthering the gap more, just look at poe circa 2012/2013/2014

If it has more build variety(meaning more builds being able to complete all content) I wouldn't consider it boring... but I don't think it's the passive tree that makes the disparity worse. I might be wrong though. D3 feels so different that idk if it's a good comparison.

Well, hope they do something about this, its waaaaaay over the top even for a arpg...
"
grepman wrote:

Diablo 4 I dunno, it seems like they may be dumbing it down more. But Diablo 3 isn't like that. Your damage is an attack range and your speed based on the weapons APS.

Your defense is a base reduction from your armor, then more reuctions based on your gear, and if you block that shaves off an amount of damage. You have to manage block chance and and the strength of it, which is pretty sweet.

The stats are simpler than PoE's but compared to a majority of games has a fair amount of depth. And they don't cap anything. There's diminishing returns on damage based stats like resource cost and cooldown reduction, but not on things like move speed. If you build a character for speed clearing you can bomb through shit.
Need a new signature, cuz name change. I dunno though. I guess this seems fine. Yeah, this is good.
"
grepman wrote:
whats funny is that the gap between builds wouldnt be so obvious if it wasnt for streaming culture and poe ninja.

if poe was a thing during d2 times, far less people would care about gap of power between builds.

nowadays, someone can start playing poe, they will enjoy themselves, then they go to some random stream and see a build that is going at 10x their rate and they get pissed.

you cant have both complexity of poe systems and theorycrafting and narrow range between build power.

and each power creep iteration introduces more tools that builds can take advantage of, top ones will make use of it because they min max, thats just how things work.

It CAN be much more narrow than it is now. Balancing the game around top builds will just kill build diversity. Considering that a viable build is one that can experience everything the game has to offer and beat every boss etc.(not counting delve)

Not only that, but there has to be a limot to player power or everything starts to look looney toons kind of silly.
"
Gordyne wrote:
"
grepman wrote:
"
Gordyne wrote:

y.

If it has more build variety(meaning more builds being able to complete all content) I wouldn't consider it boring... but I don't think it's the passive tree that makes the disparity worse. I might be wrong though. D3 feels so different that idk if it's a good comparison.

Well, hope they do something about this, its waaaaaay over the top even for a arpg...
I didnt say it was the passive tree. It's everything- from item affixes to ascendancies to jewels to skillgems. the possibilities are huge and is one of the reasons Im personally still playing the game. theorycrafting without pob is one of the best things PoE has to offer.
"
Gordyne wrote:
"
grepman wrote:

It CAN be much more narrow than it is now. Balancing the game around top builds will just kill build diversity. Considering that a viable build is one that can experience everything the game has to offer and beat every boss etc.(not counting delve)

Not only that, but there has to be a limot to player power or everything starts to look looney toons kind of silly.

this simply isnt true when player average power level is so high they can kill shit without even trying. ie, nowadays. mathil makes dozens of builds where he does the endgame, a lot of those builds arent considered 'viable' by community.

again, my point stands. without looking at how the other people are doing and poe ninja, a lot people would be very happy with their own builds that are 'sub-optimal' and can do all of content.

it's only when they look out the window and they see a ferrari in the neighbors driveway that they realize they have a corolla. and it makes them mad. when really a corolla will do the same thing for ya in terms of getting you from point a to b
"
"
grepman wrote:

Diablo 4 I dunno, it seems like they may be dumbing it down more. But Diablo 3 isn't like that. Your damage is an attack range and your speed based on the weapons APS.

Your defense is a base reduction from your armor, then more reuctions based on your gear, and if you block that shaves off an amount of damage. You have to manage block chance and and the strength of it, which is pretty sweet.

The stats are simpler than PoE's but compared to a majority of games has a fair amount of depth. And they don't cap anything. There's diminishing returns on damage based stats like resource cost and cooldown reduction, but not on things like move speed. If you build a character for speed clearing you can bomb through shit.
I dont know about RoS since I refused to pay another 60 bucks for a game I already bought for 60 and was an utter disappointment,

but in vanilla it was so easy to predict the gearing choices that the range was easily constructed

life
main stat
crit
attack speed

and weapon damage on the weapon of course. even for spells.

think of all possible combinations of builds and items, then think how more condensed and easier-to-predict it is in d3 than in poe. there are interactions in poe the devs many times dont even think about that come out through player experimenting and theorycrafting. that is a cool thing to me, and again, one of the main reasons I'm still playing PoE.
"
Gordyne wrote:

Precisely.

Shifting meta is fine. Imperfect balance is fine. But what we have now is below the threshold for a game that actually offers as many reasonable options as PoE claims to.
We're all in this leaky boat together, people.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info