youre doing it again [Removed by Support]

"
"
robmafia wrote:
...so because build x will be better than build y, the game should get sillier with every patch. got it.

"Exciting update for 3.10! We're nerfing damage for all skills by 50%!"

There, now is the game more fun?

yes, actually.
[Removed by Support]
"Your forum signature was removed as it was considered to be inappropriate and a breach of our Code of Conduct."

...it was quotes. from the forum. lolz!
"
robmafia wrote:
"
"
robmafia wrote:
...so because build x will be better than build y, the game should get sillier with every patch. got it.

yes, actually.

Okay, if you enjoy that gameplay more then you are perfectly free to complete the game on a 4-link. Or if that is still too easy, how about a 3-link?

You can implement challenging rules for yourself at any time, so why don't you?
"

Okay, if you enjoy that gameplay more then you are perfectly free to complete the game on a 4-link. Or if that is still too easy, how about a 3-link?

https://www.pathofexile.com/game

"
Path of Exile is an online Action RPG set in the dark fantasy world of Wraeclast. It is designed around a strong online item economy, deep character customisation, competitive PvP and ladder races. The game is completely free and will never be "pay to win".

so i could handicap myself in a game that's supposed to be competitive... or i could post on the forums instead of playing.

guess which makes more sense?
[Removed by Support]
"Your forum signature was removed as it was considered to be inappropriate and a breach of our Code of Conduct."

"

Suppose "power creep" is fixed. What does the game look like now? How does it play?

Do we kill monsters slower? The new stuff GGG introduces each patch tends to be most accessible to the top 10% (or 1%) of most-committed players. So if top builds clear slower, then "average" builds barely clear at all.

Yes and no.
'Removing' the power-creep, or rather making the game balanced around the power-creep makes it so there is a clear distinction between the top 0,1%, the top 10%, the long-term players and the casuals.

First of all it would mean the disparity between different builds gets smaller, which means the 'average' build is able to do a lot better then it is now, while the specialized builds are a lot worse for their respective area then they are now as well. This highlights the player-skill rather then purely the items a player has. Because let's face it... uber-elder has become a joke, shaper isn't even worth mentioning at all anymore.
Both formerly posed a challenge, now they don't even feel hard, the major issue why most people never get there is the time-investment it takes to reach them, not the difficulty to kill them.

Also, obviously it slows down the game-play a bit, you can't expect a game which lets enemies die in less then 1 second to not have those enemies dish out damage according to it. Otherwise they wouldn't pose a danger at all. This means more hp for mobs, less damage for mobs, massively less damage for players, slower map-clear... but on the other hand more positioning, usage of skills in a bit of a tactical manner at least, no more blind rushing into packs at that is deadly then.

There's a lot more to it besides those snippets which would need to change to even get remotely towards a form of balance, like a complete overhaul of all defensive and offensive measures, heavy nerfs how some items (HH, shroud for example) interact with builds and so on, but those are two big ones which definitely stand out.

"

And, no matter what the devs do, there's always going be a best build, a fastest build, a meta build. Something else to complain about.

Literally nobody cares about that, it's a given. It only matters because the 'best' build for each respective area is so obscenely stronger then a 'common' build used for it. A disparity of 1000%+ in DPS while sustaining superior clear-speed and being literally invincible is just not something which can be explained properly with any reason. We've passed that mark since a long time.

"

If you want in-depth, challenging combat then go play Dark Souls.

Or Grim Dawn, definitely harder and far more skill-based fights then PoE at the moment... Dark Souls is a great 'souls' game and a great ARPG... it is no looter-ARPG though, quite an important sub-genre. And yes, Dark Souls is better by miles.

"

For all any of us know, the knew endgame boss fights they're adding could all be like Uber-Atziri on steroids and the new supports etc we're getting will be barely even able to tackle them. We just don't know yet.

Not possible sadly. We've reached the 'epitome' of bosses mostly. Either only 3-4 builds can even try to attempt them at all (which heavily stifles build-variety) and hence can't be done. Or the masses will be able to kill them (very likely) since otherwise you can't even get to T16 at all anymore.
They will be fairly much pushovers unless the balance is heavily changed.

"

So quit all the ill-informed whining, enjoy the game for what it is, or go play something else that fits your desire better.

Sadly... there is not a single game similar in depth for itemization compared to PoE. Not a single game on the market has dared to enter this far into it. Grim Dawn has fixed affixes you can't change... which makes it fairly boring over time. Last Epoch has a limit of T5 with their mods, which is quickly reached if you play a bit, Chronicon is a quick deterministic path to upgrade any item to exactly the way you want it, D3 is a joke compared to even PoE 2.0...
There is simply not a single available game on the whole market market which has a combined passive-tree with itemization in-depth as much as PoE does, all of them focused only on a single aspect and thus aren't any competition at all long-term.

"

Accept the fact that most people come back to new leagues because "hey that build looks awesome!" not "wow everything looks really hard". Deal with it.

I would rather say... people come back to see if something is new and test it out, try out a specific build (as you mentioned), want to play the league-mechanic (as all old mechanics are ridiculously butchered in one way or another and hence barely fun.) and some other reasons. Not a single one.

And also we can clearly see that 'wow everything looks really hard' has nothing to do with any of that. But we can also see that the investment into the game becomes less and less. A while ago (a long while) PvP was at least talked about. I mean... it never 'lived' but it also wasn't utterly ignored. HC is dying faster then a plant you're watering with bleach and leagues die faster and faster since a while now as well. GGG has grown definitely, but the quality of their content hasn't, only the quantity. We now get more 'big' changes to interest players again for a short while instead of 'meaningful' balancing to keep the players already playing interested and slowly grow. The direction has gone from 'quality over quantity' to 'quantity over quality' sadly as so many other games.

"

Actually? Most likely. I would love such a patch-note, followed by 'all mobs do 20% less damage'.

"

It always was a dumb comment and always will be a dumb comment, no matter how often people try to spice it up with 'you can hinder yourself as much as possible'.

Why should I do it? The difference between a 5L and 6L isn't even felt anymore. Got a TS-HH-build? Who cares about a 6L there? You'll be exactly as fast in both cases, maybe an extra shot for the first pack. No quiver? Don't worry, won't change a thing anyway. No enchantment? Sure, why not? Running T16? Why? What's the important stuff you would get compared to a T5? Nothing.

That's the issue with the game. PoE has become 'mediocre' as it doesn't provide proper challenge anymore. All it does is providing you with BS-situations you can't foresee and which will get you 1-shot with many builds no matter how 'well' you do them the higher you go, your personal damage? Pffft... that's become a side-effect seemingly.

Just look at my Blight-summoner, I went with meta again, I played with a 4L to T13, then I went to kill uber-elder on a 5L and farmed T16. I don't have any 'nice' items besides my amulet either, and I barely played at all. Nonetheless... I grew bored even before month 1 of the league was over as I was 'done' with it. Sure, I could upgrade a ton of stuff... but why? What's the incentive? 'Hey look, I got 1000 extra hp which won't matter besides getting 1-shot every 150 instead of 100 maps?' or 'Hey look, now I can kill uber-elder 10 seconds faster?'. Why investing 100+ hours for such a small change unless you're actively competing?

And don't get me started on competition in PoE, with the game-breaking bugs for builds and specific areas at the start of a league, not to speak of crashes for many people with specific setups of their PC's... that's not a competition. I want to compete with people who start out at the same level as I do, not have to rely on massive luck to be even able to play the game in the first place until uber-elder is already killed by 500 different people or become top-tier because my competition has those issues next league. Not speaking about connection-issues which cause you to loose your character at league-starts in HC easily and thus skewing the competition in weird ways or outright killing you a few times in SC so you'll be behind other people suddenly without it being your own fault.
Kills the whole enjoyment of competition unless you're one who simply likes to be 'better' just for the sake of being 'better'. Achieving it in a fair playing-field with effort feels a lot better then knowing 'Ah, I got that far because at least 100 people got fucked over by stuff outside their control'.
GGG balance is like getting a pizza which is burnt on the sides, raw in the middle and misses the most of the toppings.
Then upon sending it back you get a raw side, burnt middle and enough toppings to drench everything in grease.
Everything fixed but still broken.
Last edited by Kulze on Nov 20, 2019, 2:53:48 PM
"
robmafia wrote:
https://www.pathofexile.com/game

"
Path of Exile is an online Action RPG set in the dark fantasy world of Wraeclast. It is designed around a strong online item economy, deep character customisation, competitive PvP and ladder races. The game is completely free and will never be "pay to win".

so i could handicap myself in a game that's supposed to be competitive... or i could post on the forums instead of playing.

guess which makes more sense?
That blurb says "competitive PvP," which should be a clear sign that you need to ignore it.
Furthermore, the Trade Manifesto delenda est.

Bone Mommy did nothing wrong. I want to join the Syndicate.
*whoooooooooooooooosh*

[Removed by Support]

Totally agree with the OP. This is what I was trying to get at with my whiny post from Fri about how crazy everything was getting. I’ve mellowed on some fundamental changes but I stand by my negative reaction to gamebreaking affixes! They can buff monsters all they want but the basic rules of the game are still getting twisted beyond recognition.

To this day I think some shaper/elder affixes went too far. Adding more ascendancy-on-an-item affixes, even if they’re rare and convoluted to obtain, isn’t helpful.
We're all in this leaky boat together, people.
Last edited by demon9675 on Nov 20, 2019, 3:34:51 PM
I dont even understand the question of 'if top builds clear slower then lower builds wont clear at all'

um, hello ? this game was being played in 2012. load up gameplay from open beta and watch the gameplay. notice how people still enjoyed the gameplay while it was exponentially slower ?

the first thing people who move from other arpgs to poe say nowadays, is that the speed is ridiculous.

back in 2013 you actually cared what type of monsters you engage in, and employ different strategies.

the discrepancy between 'top' builds and 'lower' builds stays roughly similar, considering 'lower' builds arent just monkeys throwing poo at walls.

if you slow the game down 100 times, the ratio between top and lower builds stays the same, because you reduce everything 100fold. I mean, this is 2nd grade math.
"

why do we have to gimp ourselves and create our own adventures to achieve what the game was about in the first place ? even with one links people are killing endgame bosses.

sure, last time I had super fun in poe was when I was in a private league with all mods turned on. early leveling was hell and you had to watch out for dangerous shit.

but private leagues are paid, and they actually cost a lot of money. ProjectPT paid for my private league experiences, big thanks to him, but I dont see why Id need to pay or create my own rules if I just want to play the same game I played 7 years ago.

why does the BASE power level player has to be so high we have to gimp ourselves mercilessly to even feel danger ?

its like having the red button that you can press to 'win' a game but hey, you dont have to use it, right ? do you agree with such a concept ?
I agree with most people that want powercreep toned down, the game is just silly with 6+ attacks/s

Also the disparity between average and Top builds is insanely ridiculous.

I don't mind if a top build performs about 50% better than solid/average builds, but when it performs 10x better than there is a glaring balance problem.

It's a great game but it needs to be slowed down considerably.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info