Reset Passive Skill Tree

"
Creon wrote:
I actually find the current system to be quite generous. Most players will make too many mistakes on their first character if they are not dedicated to theory-crafting, which demands a re-roll, but beyond the first character it is fairly easy to realize if you are going to build yourself into a corner. If you are building an experimental build, you sort of have to accept that it might not work out. You should know before too much investment is put into the character.

Giving us eight free reset points over the life of a character should be more than enough for anyone who takes the time to plan the character. If you do not plan out your character, the results will be the same as in anything you fail to plan for -- inferiority.

I do agree with one of the previous posters that suggested we should be able to zoom out further in game. However, I don't find the tree overwhelming. I consider this more of an aesthetic enhancement.

On the note of those eight points, I do enjoy having them as it allows me a small amount of flexibility when leveling. On my new Witch, for example, I've already intentionally allocated 2 points I plan to remove later. Carefully considered, I will not have to backtrack through a whole tree to do so, only 1 space each. These were taken for efficiency in reaching certain abilities that I will eventually hit on a wider path later, negating my need for the shortcut, but allowing me to get them earlier than otherwise planned.

Tactical leveling, yes. It's actually a reward for careful planning, since, if you dun screw up your build, those respecs accumulate, so why not use 'em to get yourself some flexibility? =^[.]^=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
"
thepmrc wrote:

This is actually why I quit playing D2. Re-spec Tokens ruined it.

I'm not asking for re-spec tokens - I'm lobbying for re-spec quests. 1 per difficulty would hardly be abuse-able.

Besides the longevity of the D2 Expansion would seriously indicate that you were in a minority. I mean please, "quit playing D2", because of a bug you yourself were abusing? Come on!
I'm BACK :)
"
Coldet wrote:
"
thepmrc wrote:

This is actually why I quit playing D2. Re-spec Tokens ruined it.

I'm not asking for re-spec tokens - I'm lobbying for re-spec quests. 1 per difficulty would hardly be abuse-able.

It would be abused in the way that every class would be leveled with an optimum "leveling build" and then respec at the end of merciless with the quest.
Disregard witches, aquire currency.
"
dust7 wrote:

It would be abused in the way that every class would be leveled with an optimum "leveling build" and then respec at the end of merciless with the quest.

I do not see how that could be regarded as abuse.

Please bear in mind that I'm not asking this for the Hard Core and Experienced players but rather for the Casual and Noob players. The whole idea is to make the game just that little bit more user friendly for the people that are still trying to get to a point where they too can actually start grinding away with their very own Super Hero. After all I believe it is at this point where people become truly hooked on the game.

I could be wrong but I really doubt that I am.

Consider this as well - How many Noob and/or Casual Players will even read the forum never mind making a post. All the negativity towards a full re-spec is coming from Hardened Enthusiasts that would not have a need for a re-spec and would obviously also spend much time on the forum.
"
Coldet wrote:
"
dust7 wrote:

Because GGG wants you to play different character builds through the game, not level all of your - say - witches with ice nova and respec with the quest when you are high level to make it a mf/pvp/chaos/whatever witch..
Disregard witches, aquire currency.
"
dust7 wrote:
"
Coldet wrote:
"
dust7 wrote:

Because GGG wants you to play different character builds through the game, not level all of your - say - witches with ice nova and respec with the quest when you are high level to make it a mf/pvp/chaos/whatever witch..

And Why not? It's My Witch!

If I'm not mistaken the game is ultimately about making a Super Killing Machine Character FOR ME, MINE. Not for anyone else. I'm allowed to chop and change the clothes, jewelry and even spells to my hearts content, when and how I want. WHY on earth must re-specing the passive tree be such a major issue?

Look we're just arguing around the same old pot and getting no where. Lets just drop it. OR at least put up a Poll so people can vote for or against it.

1st of all, sorry for digging out that old thread. was the most suitable thread while looking for that topic.

Hey there ... I am overwhelmed and excited by the diversity of the passive skill tree and the use of those "sockets" ... really awsome idea. i have never seen that before and i just wanted to buy me into the close beta... i am willing to pay for a great game that thrills me in many ways. Not for items or improving the power my character, but monthly and so on to support the developer.

i am a really dedicated gamer, who loves theorycrafting, but sadly with very limited time to play and i love to try out different builds, specs and itemcombination .. but without having the chance to do a full respec ... to be honest, i fully lost the interest.
Neither i would be willing to level up a complete new character, just for trying a different built ... nor i have the time for that.

as i havent played PoE, i dont know the "economy" and cant imagine how the possibility to do full respecs would inflict a loss or even destroy it, but i guess, you have really good reasons for that...

Sad ... really sad. I will look back on the site by time, maybe the situation changed, and then i will start playing PoE immediatly. for sure :)
Have fun!
Aurel.

Last edited by aurel81 on Aug 15, 2012, 12:06:39 AM
"
aurel81 wrote:
1st of all, sorry for digging out that old thread. was the most suitable thread while looking for that topic.

Hey there ... I am overwhelmed and excited by the diversity of the passive skill tree and the use of those "sockets" ... really awsome idea. i have never seen that before and i just wanted to buy me into the close beta... i am willing to pay for a great game that thrills me in many ways. Not for items or improving the power my character, but monthly and so on to support the developer.

i am a really dedicated gamer, who loves theorycrafting, but sadly with very limited time to play and i love to try out different builds, specs and itemcombination .. but without having the chance to do a full respec ... to be honest, i fully lost the interest.
Neither i would be willing to level up a complete new character, just for trying a different built ... nor i have the time for that.

as i havent played PoE, i dont know the "economy" and cant imagine how the possibility to do full respecs would inflict a loss or even destroy it, but i guess, you have really good reasons for that...

Sad ... really sad. I will look back on the site by time, maybe the situation changed, and then i will start playing PoE immediatly. for sure :)
Have fun!
Aurel.

This!

I totally agree, I mean If you're worrying about the abuse then just put a cost of gold that gets higher with the characters level, then It'll be a sacrifice and the game would allow a total respec later on.

I haven't played the game yet, but I can imagine how frustrating It could be If you go with whatever you thing you like and then find out that you do not want to play that style but still have your current level.
"
tengil666 wrote:
"
aurel81 wrote:

Have fun!
Aurel.

This!

I totally agree, I mean If you're worrying about the abuse then just put a cost of gold that gets higher with the characters level, then It'll be a sacrifice and the game would allow a total respec later on.

I haven't played the game yet, but I can imagine how frustrating It could be If you go with whatever you thing you like and then find out that you do not want to play that style but still have your current level.

PoE doesn't have gold as its currency. We use Orb of Regrets to reset passive nodes. There are also quests that gives two respec.
There is a total of 16 respec points via quests and the option to use regrets for respec points.

it is also not that difficult to hit >level 15 within 3 hours of gameplay and subsequently level 50 within 30 hrs. I imagine most players generally have an idea of how their build would do within the first 40 or so skill points to be honest
Build of the Week 14
The first Righteous Fire/Non-Shavronne's/Shavronne's HC
Shameless self-proclaimed theory-crafting extraordinaire and forum crusader

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info