Reset Passive Skill Tree

To put things into perspective with how some drop rates are, I decided to do a bit of math. Granted, no one in their right mind would go this route, as it would entail an assload of grinding, but hey, I was bored as hell and wanted to see just how much it would take.

Orb of Regret
|
|¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯|
2x Orb of Scouring (2 per 1 Regret)
|
|¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯|
8x Orb of Chance (4 per 1 Scour)
|
|¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯|
8x Orb of Fusing (1 per 1 Chance)
|
|¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯|
32x Jewelers Orbs (4 per 1 Fusing)
|
|¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯|
64x Orbs of Alteration (2 Per 1 Jewelers)
|
|¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯|
256x Orb of Augmentation (4 Per 1 Alteration)
|
|¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯|
1024x Orb of Transmutation (4 per 1 Augmentation)
|
|¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯|
7168x Portal Scrolls (7 per 1 Transmutation)
|
|¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯|
21504x Scrolls of Wisdom (3 per 1 Portal)

Now I am not saying someone should be crazy enough to actually go this kind of route, but it does put into perspective what exactly you would have to accomplish to purchase orbs of regret. And this is just for ONE orb. You want 100, then multiply this by 100. Now far as I can tell with how killing goes, it's much easier to magic farm and sell unid blue items to get the orbs of trans and orbs of alterations. This would cut down your purchasing by a ton along with any possible orbs that are higher up in the tree to drop during the farming. However, this alone...takes hours and hours of killing to accomplish only just one orb of regret. Now admittedly, I haven't gotten to the higher levels, hell I am not even passed act 3 in normal. That being said though, this shows 2 things in my eyes after reading through all of these pages.

1. The game was designed in such a way from the looks of things, that you really should think about your choices via the tree, since it is so expansive and large. Your choices can end up being quite crucial to the way you want your character built and the makers probably had this in mind when building the game up. So it is easy to see how exactly the design of the game could look as far as what they want you to accomplish.

2. That from the way game looks and is designed, when you have made a choice, and regret it, it hurts. You would need to spend countless amounts of time to get the funding in order to correct that single mistake, and even more so if you made more than one. This is a risk reward factor but also a punishment for making an ill-fated decision.

Issues with this design:

The first issue that comes to mind is the fact of how much time and effort goes into fixing even just one single mistake you've made during the game. Granted, you have quests to help, and get items and even some respec points for finishing certain quests, but that only goes so far. This type of design forces the player into having to spend more time in the game playing and investing that time to fix the mistake instead of overall enjoying the game. Now granted, any MMO has that drawback eventually of just grind grind grind, even with quests and the like. However, a game such as this seems to have taken that to the next level by forcing the player to do a grind if they mess up. This is that punishment factor, which is good for some hardcore gamers, hell even a few softcore. But the problem then lies in the many people you lose because they don't want to have to spend that much time in order to fix just one thing. It is actually far easier (at least in my opinion) to recreate your character from level 1 and place your skills the way you wanted after you made the mistake. This again, requires much time and effort into playing the game, repeating things you have already done. There are many more people in the world that are casual gamers than those that are hardcore gamers. I consider myself a pretty hardcore gamer, but even I wouldn't want to invest THAT much time and effort for something that could be fixed by simply adding in a character feature (microtransaction) to respec yourself entirely. Granted, even then, with how large that tree is, you can still fuck up EVEN then. Then another issue arises, even a simple misclick can invoke you having to spend another amount of money for another respec to fix that little mistake. Granted, many wouldn't do this, but I have known a few that had the slip of the finger. Anyway, the idea of a full respec would do wonders and keep a lot of gamers that would otherwise be driven away. Some hardcore gamers say "well fuck them, they can't handle it, they can go cry to momma" but the fact is that the developers rely on those gamers playing and investing that time and the MT money to the game to keep it going. As said there are more casual gamers than hardcore, and hardcore alone would not keep a game up for very long after some time. This is why the full respec would be a good option to place in, for those people that would like it AND would spend their money to use it. Even still, one free full respec via a quest or maybe upon reaching a certain difficulty would also be nice. Another idea I had was to allow orbs of regret to be put into the MT shop but thinking back on that, it would be a poor choice for many. Possibly adding in an item with only a certain amount of points to refund, maybe say 25, 50, 75 marks. The full respec would be the largest in price of course. Anyway, back to the subject, a full respec would be needed if you wanted to keep many players in the game, wanting to play it, wanting to invest that time. This would also give them an incentive to also invest their money into the game, which again, the developers need to keep it running. Anyway, this is just my 2 cents worth and what I think of the whole situation.
"
Skivverus wrote:
Each orb of regret allows you to refund one point; there's no limit to the number of those you can use. But no, there's no way - real money or not - to erase your character's past and respec your entire skill setup.

Why not?

I thought all any player needed to do was get enough orbs of regret along with any respect points from quests and VIOLA! The player has all their skill tree reset.
"
Baskerville wrote:
"
Skivverus wrote:
Each orb of regret allows you to refund one point; there's no limit to the number of those you can use. But no, there's no way - real money or not - to erase your character's past and respec your entire skill setup.

Why not?

I thought all any player needed to do was get enough orbs of regret along with any respect points from quests and VIOLA! The player has all their skill tree reset.

The drop rate on violas(and most other instruments, for that matter) is far lower than that of regret orbs. If you do manage to find one though, you certainly do deserve a lot of respect.
there already exist a game (Diablo 3) that offers a full respec option.

If your spec sucks you have to roll a new one. It only takes you a few days to reach a desent charackter level.

once you know the game and the passiv tree better you dont need any respec points (or maybe few)
insane in the membrane
"
Dudldude wrote:
there already exist a game (Diablo 3) that offers a full respec option.

If your spec sucks you have to roll a new one. It only takes you a few days to reach a desent charackter level.

once you know the game and the passiv tree better you dont need any respec points (or maybe few)

From the experience I have had with the game, respec'ing is for those that want to change their build. Now, from what I have been doing at least, as I said, far easier to make a new char when you want a different build that takes a lot of changes to do. The issue with this that arises, everything then becomes trial and error with that logic. I would not want to have to spend hours upon hours grinding just to make a different build on the same class of character just to see if its good for me or not. You say get used to the game, but that alone means that you have to do trial and error with that logic of rolling a new char. This forces a player into the position of spending countless amounts of time studying on the game rather than just playing and enjoying it. Granted this game was made more towards the hardcore players, but there are so many more casual people that enjoy it that you are going to lose them by forcing them into that position. That means lost gamers, that means lost money that is going to competing games. This is why you need a skill respec option in the long run for those people that want to spend their money, quick change to a new build without having to do a shit ton of grinding upon grinding with either a new char, or with the same char to get the regret orbs needed. Either way you go, the option fucks you in the long run. So really, a respec in the micro-transaction would be a GREAT addition. It would provide incentive for possibly departing players to stay and would give hardcore players a way to quick change builds and keep playing depending on the enemies they are facing. There is no frigging downside to having a respec option in the MT shop, there just isn't. The only bitching about it not being put in I see comes from those hardcore players that say "You dont like how it was made, fuck you go play something else" and from a developer viewpoint I see that as "You just told a player to play another game instead of investing their time and MONEY into ours. Good job on you! /sarcasm" This is how I see it with respec'ing give the option in and you will get revenue and people to play the game more, you don't you are only going to lose players that really want it in and can't enjoy the game because of what it takes to change something that should be very simple to change if its needed.
Back to check, apparently still no passive respec. Shame, this is exactly why I don't play the game.
Either you're being ironic, or someone needs to point out that thanks to today's patch significantly altering the passive tree, you get a free complete respec. Enjoy!
"
AnotherJuan wrote:
Either you're being ironic, or someone needs to point out that thanks to today's patch significantly altering the passive tree, you get a free complete respec. Enjoy!

Really? I've been googling this, how/when/where do you get it?
"
cwsltd wrote:
"
AnotherJuan wrote:

Really? I've been googling this, how/when/where do you get it?

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/810698
I am not sure how to say it but as a noob the tree is too difficult. The branches are not intuitive at all and this game has a steep learning curve. It needs to have a reset on the tree just to figure out what you are doing and what works. If the tree was more intuitive then I could see never needing a reset. The way it is now however who knows what works and what doesn't. The problem is that is you are a casual gamer and just starting out you don't want to spend weeks learning the tree and what choices there are. You just want to get in and play. So of course your characters are going to be horrid. I loved another game because you could respect for in game money (not real money). It made the game so repayable. I spent over 1000 hours on the game just toying with different specs, armor all sorts of options because I could. Then when it came time to play nightmare hardcore levels I knew what I was doing. I wouldn't suggest in this game you should be able to respect on hardcore modes. As a noob though in the initial levels trying to figure out what works it would make the game a lot better to have any sort of method to rest. I don't want to start over with a new character every time I have a different idea. There are all sorts of builds I would love to try though with a character that has the points. Even if there was a method to use commands on local that would be better than nothing. This is something that was done with torchlight II which made it so fun to respec and try different builds.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info