Reset Passive Skill Tree

If it's under level 30 just remake the character and save yourself the trouble. If it's higher you will have to collect Orbs of Regret and this may take a while considering the level.
i too fas fo youuuuuuu
I actually find the current system to be quite generous. Most players will make too many mistakes on their first character if they are not dedicated to theory-crafting, which demands a re-roll, but beyond the first character it is fairly easy to realize if you are going to build yourself into a corner. If you are building an experimental build, you sort of have to accept that it might not work out. You should know before too much investment is put into the character.

Giving us eight free reset points over the life of a character should be more than enough for anyone who takes the time to plan the character. If you do not plan out your character, the results will be the same as in anything you fail to plan for -- inferiority.

I do agree with one of the previous posters that suggested we should be able to zoom out further in game. However, I don't find the tree overwhelming. I consider this more of an aesthetic enhancement.

On the note of those eight points, I do enjoy having them as it allows me a small amount of flexibility when leveling. On my new Witch, for example, I've already intentionally allocated 2 points I plan to remove later. Carefully considered, I will not have to backtrack through a whole tree to do so, only 1 space each. These were taken for efficiency in reaching certain abilities that I will eventually hit on a wider path later, negating my need for the shortcut, but allowing me to get them earlier than otherwise planned.
"Arctic Armour was a mistake." - Chris Wilson
The goal of the current system is to allow tweaking of a build rather than taking it in a whole new direction, and i think it worked out really well.

Me for example, i decided to make a fire/summoner witch. After picking up all the summon/fire skills (or planned at least) I still had about 7 points left over. I then discovered I could gain a net 2 points by removing one stat pathway and linking to another. I also took back necromatic aegis (sorry skeles).

Thats the type of situation its designed for. Its *NOT* there for example to change from Fire/summoner to Ice/summoner, at least not without extensive work.

Also one final thing, so far everyone is approaching this like you yourself have to collect all those orbs. This is a MMO, with what should be a very active market/trading system so you could trade rares/uniques for quantities of skill reset gems.

That part of the game isnt really up and running yet due to it being beta, but it certainly will be once it goes live.
Last edited by Asmosis on Apr 9, 2012, 6:00:20 AM
OK - Yes I do hear what you guys are saying and I too like the reset orbs for the odd bits of tweaking. HOWEVER!

The game essentially needs to cater for 3 basic types of gamer:
1. The Hard Core Pro/semi-Pro Player
2. The Casual yet experienced Player
3. And The Total Noob.

Hard Core is exactly that and should not be easy. I played D2 for 3 years solid before I eventually embarked on a Hardcore Ladder chase. (Hard Core MUST never be given the option to a total re-spec).

Also in D2 it was nothing for me to blow through 10 or even more re-spec tokens while fine tuning a PVP character or simply trying out different builds. The fact is, despite the quest re-spec's and re-spec tokens I still have 12 characters over level 90 and another 5 LLD characters and that's only the Soft Core expansion characters. There is no need to force people to start new characters to get replay-ability. I get tons of entertainment/satisfaction from experimenting with different builds and would like to be able to do that.

On PoE I currently have 4 characters (2x Templar) over level 60 all of which are able to solo chaos with varying success. My gripe is that while I have no problem playing my characters to high levels it kinda sux that I'm not able to make dramatic changes to them. And don't come throwing the re-spec orbs at me. I've been here a while now. Re-Spec orbs are simply just too damn hard to come by in any decent quantity.

As the game currently stands it is my submission that we are simply loosing a valuable opportunity to cater to the needs of our Noobs and Casual players. I sincerely believe that many people will simply not go to all the effort to create a new character after they have spent 5 or even 6 days getting that character to level 60+

I am able to play in excess of 8 hours per day, I would surmise that most people are lucky if they can play for 2 hours per day. If basic things are too hard you simply end up loosing those players that feel they are not progressing because they have to start from scratch. Every Player wants at least one Super Hero that is able to Blast through the mobs while grinding for better gear.

Please Please add a quest that gives us the opportunity to do a full re-spec in Default League.

I just know I'm going to be flamed - why don't you put it to the vote. Make a Poll on the forum lets see exactly how many people are for or against this.
I'm BACK :)
There are very few orbs which are actively sought by the community as currency for equipment trades. Regrets are a big one.

Making it easier to rebuild, or making them a micro-transaction, would hurt the in-game economy.
Kilts for Templars <tm> - Our mission is to replace the ancient Greek toga worn by the Templar with a kilt. It fits the theme of Wraeclast better, and it fits the voice of the Templar.
"
dust7 wrote:

There are no plans I have heard of to sell respecs in the shop, as that would constitute buying power.

Congradulations, Sir (or Ma'am), you win today's prize for "most ridiculous reference to GGG's promise to never sell power".

Yes, selling Regrets would allow people to buy currency to trade in game for stuff with real money.

Yes, selling respec points (that aren't orbs, just go straight to the skill tree UI.) would devalue Regrets (which, I mean, may or may not be a bad thing. Changes in value aren't inheriently bad.).

No, there's no way that a respec point could possibly be considered "power" in any logical fashion by any reasonable person.

Your prize is... 1 Scrap of Wisdom. Find me in game.
itsalljustagame.wordpress.com - my blog about all things gaming - Current project - "Communal effort" - Game design by popular vote!
Selling respecs indeed has nothing to do with selling power.
It's actually very very similar to diablo 3's RMAH, it basically buys 'time', as you would otherwise have to remake a character which (obviously) costs you said time.

I think they will implement this, and they should, it'll make lots of moneyzz.
''Stand amongst the ashes of a trillion dead souls and ask the ghosts if honor matters.
The silence is your answer.''

IGN: Vaeralyse
"
Tagek wrote:
Selling respecs indeed has nothing to do with selling power.
It's actually very very similar to diablo 3's RMAH, it basically buys 'time', as you would otherwise have to remake a character which (obviously) costs you said time.

I think they will implement this, and they should, it'll make lots of moneyzz.

It doesn't even share all the same controversies of the RMAH. Buying an item you may never get? Yeah, I don't AGREE, but I see the logic in it.

Buying a correction because you misclicked/made a bad decision/changed your mind/didn't know better? You're not "doing" or "gaining" anything, only "undoing" something that was already done.
itsalljustagame.wordpress.com - my blog about all things gaming - Current project - "Communal effort" - Game design by popular vote!
Well in the same sense, it's also rather unlikely that you would ever obtain such a large amount of regret orbs through the game itself. As I said, they are very similar.
''Stand amongst the ashes of a trillion dead souls and ask the ghosts if honor matters.
The silence is your answer.''

IGN: Vaeralyse
"
Tagek wrote:
Well in the same sense, it's also rather unlikely that you would ever obtain such a large amount of regret orbs through the game itself. As I said, they are very similar.

Assuming you made that many mistakes, yes.

But there is a difference between a player who has a full set of Immortal Kings and one who has whatever random gear he picked up on the way to whatever level(/total play time) we are comparing. Despite the fact that there are multiple ways the first player may have aquired that set.

There is no difference between two players who have identical skill paths, even if one of them used to have 1 (or 5, or 100) points elsewhere. Or a 3rd player who (somehow, despite how hard it would get) waited until level 30 to spend any points, but ultimately built the same path.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info