Diablo 4 Would Kill Path of Exile

"
Let's be honest. There simply hasn't been an arpg good enough to top PoE's constant release of content. It's clear the community is getting fed up with half arsed content being released just to be released. I haven't been bored with a league this soon since I started playing this game. If Diablo 4 were released tomorrow, the PoE playerbase would flock.

Is this an out of season April Fools joke?
Carry on my waypoint son, there'll be peace when maps are done.
Lay your portal gem to rest, don't you die no more.

'Cause it's a bitter sweet symphony this league.
Try to make maps meet, you're a slave to the meta, then you leave.
"
Destructodave wrote:
"
Crackmonster wrote:
Maybe if Blizzard still made good ARPG's, but then don't so many of those who pick PoE for the qualities it has, will not jump ship for something like that. Might try it, but yea.. gonna be a while till we see another good arpg - far as a i know only 2-3 contenders coming up and who knows how they will succeed.

That said, i've been saying for over 5 years in regards to GGG's neglect and blind stubbornness and lack of insight to players' actual experiences that if a game that did things right come along people would be quick to forget about poe.

But it hasn't, poe has coasted along on a mix of great characterization, perfect timing(D3 flop abandon ship), lack of any competition to allow them to gather funds to grow into a juggernaut that is harder to compete with. It has had perfect conditions and no other serious attempt at an ARPG has been done in all these years.

PoE's biggest strength is pushing out current content. Its the reason I'm still hanging around playing PoE after all these years and showing up for every new league instead of playing something like D3, where I do think the actual gameplay is just better. But, its gameplay that was fresh 5 years ago. You can only squeeze so much out of something like that. I'm pretty sure back then, when RoS was fresh(and D3, people have revisionist history), tons of people played it. It used to have a ton of twitch viewership, too. But again, its 5 year old content that hasn't updated at all. Only the most hardcore fans can keep grinding out old content like that. If PoE wasn't releasing something new all the time it would have fell by the wayside, too.

Also, none of the new Arpgs that drop have the online aspect that PoE has, which is why I never put stock into things like Grim Dawn. People like the leagues, the online aspect, the multiplayer of it all, even if you are just solo grinding maps all day or even playing SSF.

No offense mate, but your logic is like this. "McD is the most popular erm.. "restaurant" in the world - therefore it is also the best".

I don't understand why masses are as braindead as they are, but me, personally, i don't get fulfilled on D3. I am just too intelligent to let myself fool like that, and on top of that comes emotional history that makes it look like a god damn tragegy what happened to D3 - where some newer generations might not have that and just be like wow this is a pretty fun game i never tried this type of game before.

I saw your post above, and i just want to tell you that you are not right about our false assumptions in regards to D3. I didn't say D3 sucks balls, but it's certainly not me for and it's not cherry picking statistics. I try every expansion, came back for multiple ladders. Man i know so many people that love ARPG's so bad, people that are not picky at all if the damn thing just had a glimmer of hope in there they would staying but it's just so far from a good ARPG of the actualy diablo type games that it's beyond safe to say it sucks. I think we all experienced all our friends that loves arpg nearly everyone left it, disppointed, sad, and lost faith in blizzard.

Blizzard switched the game, made it for an entirely different audience in the name of $$ bill yall. Nearly all characterization has been stripped, i don't even wanna go further i have written huge walls on D3 forums with suggestions and everything and gotten threads filled/extended of people in support /agreement. Blizz reacted to none of it, none of the other threads they didn't give a fuck all they cared about was if the numbers was dwindling they didn't attempt to make a deep ARPG they made a superficial whatever. But you can be sure if i used even 1 offensive word they would see fit to temp forum ban me.

Worst of all, they probably think their approach was the best idea ever the game was super successful. Who cares if you shaft the people that made you what you are, right? Leave people behind as soon as you can jump to more gain.

Probably we will also see mobile games taking over pc games in the west - does this mean mobile games are better than pc games? As i said i don't understand why masses are so braindead in the way they act, but they just are. They don't seem to have much awareness and just become what they see right in front of them.

Anyway, back to what you said. I do agree that content release is a big strength of PoE, but alone it does nothing if not supported by a great game and at least from my perspective the greatest strength of poe is the characterization and the amount of choices(even if they can be illusions, the illusion of choice in life is what matters).

I also agree about grim dawn lack multiplayer, it just makes it not really worth grinding in that game for me. It doesn't feel meaningful. Lots of people like that though - outright applaud it.

Furthermore, D3 exposure and numbers are largely resultant from D2/WoW(where D2 played a huge part in wow success(they took so many core things)). You know how important advertising is right? It can massively inflate numbers, and D3 had the ultimate blizzard was the greatest gaming company in world in many people's eyes. Coke Cola / Mackie D's effect.

Did i mention - they killed Cain for some random quick plot twist of zero significance.............

They made the ultimate butchery of the entire Diablo Legacy, shafted hard everyone and laughed at their own success in doing it. It's a sad sad tragedy what happened to D3.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
Last edited by Crackmonster on Apr 16, 2019, 5:45:29 AM
"
Crackmonster wrote:
"
Destructodave wrote:
"
Crackmonster wrote:
Maybe if Blizzard still made good ARPG's, but then don't so many of those who pick PoE for the qualities it has, will not jump ship for something like that. Might try it, but yea.. gonna be a while till we see another good arpg - far as a i know only 2-3 contenders coming up and who knows how they will succeed.

That said, i've been saying for over 5 years in regards to GGG's neglect and blind stubbornness and lack of insight to players' actual experiences that if a game that did things right come along people would be quick to forget about poe.

But it hasn't, poe has coasted along on a mix of great characterization, perfect timing(D3 flop abandon ship), lack of any competition to allow them to gather funds to grow into a juggernaut that is harder to compete with. It has had perfect conditions and no other serious attempt at an ARPG has been done in all these years.

PoE's biggest strength is pushing out current content. Its the reason I'm still hanging around playing PoE after all these years and showing up for every new league instead of playing something like D3, where I do think the actual gameplay is just better. But, its gameplay that was fresh 5 years ago. You can only squeeze so much out of something like that. I'm pretty sure back then, when RoS was fresh(and D3, people have revisionist history), tons of people played it. It used to have a ton of twitch viewership, too. But again, its 5 year old content that hasn't updated at all. Only the most hardcore fans can keep grinding out old content like that. If PoE wasn't releasing something new all the time it would have fell by the wayside, too.

Also, none of the new Arpgs that drop have the online aspect that PoE has, which is why I never put stock into things like Grim Dawn. People like the leagues, the online aspect, the multiplayer of it all, even if you are just solo grinding maps all day or even playing SSF.

No offense mate, but your logic is like this. "McD is the most popular erm.. "restaurant" in the world - therefore it is also the best".

I don't understand why masses are as braindead as they are, but me, personally, i don't get fulfilled on D3. I am just too intelligent to let myself fool like that, and on top of that comes emotional history that makes it look like a god damn tragegy what happened to D3 - where some newer generations might not have that and just be like wow this is a pretty fun game i never tried this type of game before.

I saw your post above, and i just want to tell you that you are not right about our false assumptions in regards to D3. I didn't say D3 sucks balls, but it's certainly not me for and it's not cherry picking statistics. I try every expansion, came back for multiple ladders. Man i know so many people that love ARPG's so bad, people that are not picky at all if the damn thing just had a glimmer of hope in there they would staying but it's just so far from a good ARPG of the actualy diablo type games that it's beyond safe to say it sucks. I think we all experienced all our friends that loves arpg nearly everyone left it, disppointed, sad, and lost faith in blizzard. Blizzard switched the game, made it for an entirely different audience in the name of $$ bill yall. Nearly all characterization has been stripped, i don't even wanna go further i have written huge walls on D3 forums with suggestions and everything and gotten threads filled/extended of people in support /agreement. Blizz reacted to none of it, none of the other threads they didn't give a fuck all they cared about was if the numbers was dwindling they didn't attempt to make a deep ARPG they made a superficial whatever.

Worst of all, they probably think their approach was the best idea ever the game was super successful. Who cares if you shaft the people that made you what you are, right? Leave people behind as soon as you can jump to more gain.

Probably we will also see mobile games taking over pc games in the west - does this mean mobile games are better than pc games? As i said i don't understand why masses are so braindead in the way they act, but they just are.

Anyway, back to what you said. I do agree that content release is a big strength of PoE, but alone it does nothing if not supported by a great game and at least from my perspective the greatest strength of poe is the characterization and the amount of choices(even if the can be illusions, the illusions of choice in life is what matters).

I also agree about grim dawn lack multiplayer, it just makes it not really worth grinding in that game for me. It doesn't feel meaningful. Lots of people like that though - outright applaud it.

Furthermore, D3 exposure and numbers are largely resultant from D2/WoW(where D2 played a huge part in wow success(they took so many core things)). You know how important advertising is right? It can massively inflate numbers, and D3 had the ultimate blizzard was the greatest gaming company in world in many people's eyes. Coke Cola / Mackie D's effect.

Did i mention - they killed Cain for some random quick plot twist of zero significance.............

Its ironic that you guys flame Blizzard for using its playerbase of other games to sell D3 copies, meanwhile PoE literally promoted itself as a D2 clone to milk D2 fans and you have no qualms about it. Would PoE be what it is today without the goodwill of D2? I doubt it. I seriously doubt it. PoE is an absolute clunky mess that primarily promotes itself to old D2 gamers. I mean, its the reason I'm here, lol.

And my point is you guys keep stating your opinions as fact. I dont care how many of your friends quit, or how stupid you think the masses are for liking said games. Those are, in essence, merely your own personal opinion. If you dont like something that is fine. But making shit up as you go along to somehow promote your opinion as the only right answer, is not. There are a ton of popular games I hate. Monster Hunter World. Most console games. But just becuase me and my friend quit said games, I'm not gonna go around spouting nonsense about them being failures when I know they aren't and a large majority of gamers liked them. i realize, that I am in the minority. You guys hating on D3, are in the minority. D3 is not the shitshow you guys pretend it to be. It might be for you, it might be for people around here, but to say it was for everyone, is a stretch. It's more likely it was a shitshow for a minority of players, not the majority.

Its pointless to talk about that shit with people here though. Its an echo chamber of hate here, and I know this. But this is a thread about D3, so I throw my 2 cents in as a player of both games and a hater of neither.

Oh, I also like mobile games. I'm playing one right now as I post this. And I look forward to Immortal. On the topic of mobile games, I hate to say I've had more fun dabbling in a few over the last year than any other game I've played. Beating some of the trial bosses in a Final Fantasy game I was playing was probably one of the more satisfying gaming experiences I've had in a very long time. I know Mobile games get a bad rap, but they do have their charms.

I used to be a mobile hater. Before I actually played some mobile games.
Last edited by Destructodave on Apr 16, 2019, 5:55:11 AM
"
Destructodave wrote:
[
And there are millions that bought it, liked it, and kept playing. Seriously guy, why do you think you somehow know how many people liked D3? Please tell me.

You have absolutely no proof but personal conjecture. None.

I never said there are no people who liked DIablo 3. I said that there are millions of those who hated it and called it garbage after buying it and regreting spending money on it.
You are absolutely missing the point.

I don't give a shit if they advertise. The important point is, they shafted everyone that loved the real Diablo style - abandoned their old playerbase for more masses and their $$. Now they have a new playerbase, with a tiny crossover from the prequel.

They betrayed us. And we can't stand them for it. We, at least myself, i gave them many chances, i was so hyped for D3 i was naive and posted to improve the game for months and... let's not go there it's not a happy memory when reality came to bear.

I don't give two shits if someone enjoys it, good for them - just don't claim we are talking shit coz we aren't. The game was so obviously shafted man.. when it came out it wasn't even complete, there weren't even gear that looked cool it was like dungeon siege graphics.. All monsters looked generic demons and lost their uniqueness.

McD best food right?

But that's not all the points youve missed, even things i directly addressed you restate now showing you've no clue about what i just said and why what you are saying is nonsense.

I don't waste my time thinking about D3, who cares, but right is right and you talking out your ass dissing us i just thought you should know it's not bullshit. You are vastly overrating the "hate", i think most people don't really wanna think about it. And your "echo chamber feeling" is natural, because people who prefer this do it because it went the exact opposite way D3 did from d2, so the audience who prefers poe is here so what did you expect? You go in a real restaurent and shout out how McD is best quality food and you think they flock to agree with you?

Most people also agree that D3 is a game that a lot of people enjoy - just look on the numbers.

Go eat more McD - coz numbers = quality.

I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
Last edited by Crackmonster on Apr 16, 2019, 6:03:12 AM
"
Aynix wrote:
"
Destructodave wrote:
[
And there are millions that bought it, liked it, and kept playing. Seriously guy, why do you think you somehow know how many people liked D3? Please tell me.

You have absolutely no proof but personal conjecture. None.

I never said there are no people who liked DIablo 3. I said that there are millions of those who hated it and called it garbage after buying it and regreting spending money on it.

And I argued, that's most likely the minority, not the majority. Just some common deduction of the expansion sales should show you that. Those millions you mentioned are overshadowed by more millions who did like it.

Anyways, we can just agree to disagree. I think D3 is fine and actually fun. Its not anymore, because its 5 year old content. But it was during its prime time.

D4 will more than likely be like RoS. I think thats the right decision personally. RoS was a massive improvement over vanilla to me. People mocked SSF while its super popular on PoE now, too. Gamer tastes change. I even think with the rise of mobile game popularity, an RMAH would not be as hated on in today's gaming climate. Mobile gamers have no qualms about P2W.
This discussion is pointless in many places. Most of you forgets that nobody creates companies to make happy people other than those companies owners. Activision was not created to make you a pleasure, Electronic Arts was not found to make you happy, Blizzard was not created to make you pleasure and GGG was not created to keep you happy. If somebody decides to set up a new company, his decision is based on the idea which is believed to be converted to income. Therefore, all game industry companies are created to make happy their owners and their shareholders. Sales and income - his is only measure of success or failure.
Examples like above - Coca Cola, Mac Donald etc. - it is easy to say that Big Mac is not the state of art and it not a high quality product. If you compare it to a small family restaurant serving local specialities it is correct. But, if you compare companies, then Mac Donald and their products are more successful because due to understanding of the market needs they created a products which are interesting and accessible for people, and therefore widely sold.
How you can relate that to our case? GGG and their PoE burgers is no longer small family busines serving fancy indie dishes for local community. The company is worth above 100mln.$ and their burgers are sold to thousands of people. They have serious quality problems due to lack of company quality procedures, lack of deep market analyses and lack of experience in the mass production. In many places you can see things which could perfectly exist in the backstreet located family restaurant but they are not efficient when the business grows. Therefore if you compare nowadays PoE burgers to those produced by more experienced and bigger companies, like ActiBlizz-burgers, those second ones are more successful. They better fit to market expectations, they are better tested on the wider portfolio of potential customers which can have more variable tastes, they are prepared with a higher attention to detail due to higher quality standards. They are more popular and they will bring more money, so, they keep ActiBlizz shareholders more happy.
Last edited by Mark___75 on Apr 16, 2019, 6:59:16 AM
D3 is a nice game to play without any thinking about character development, because it is so easy to have your build, when there are per class just 4 builds and 3 are bad. But the game engine runs very good and multiplayer is more fun than in PoE. The way to make your story quest together is much more efficient than in PoE and so many player like to play together. Not like in PoE where it is better to play single.
What I do not like at D3 is there is no communication to the game designers, they do not hear any of their words and there are more bots than human players.
With the immortal phone game they gave away any rest of respect they earned in years before and now they give a shit to their fan base, like hiding stash behind the duty to play their way. D3 is more than dead it already stinks and smells dead.
I would like to play d3 with new expansion, maybe new class or new maps or any other mode to have fun, but we will never get such things.
When the only goal to aim is grinding paragons by doing again and again the same for several years, then it is clear why everybody leaves.
I had some fun in the season16, but it was easy to get more than 1000 paragons and still had enough time to play PoE.

There is one detail what players hate or love in poe compared to d3 and it is about doing, seeing and completing all game content. While it is clear that everybody will complete any way to play d3 and only the level of greater rifts is the big difference between usual and pro gamer, this is total different in PoE. About ten %, said chris in the interview of GC of players that actually do all things in PoE. But while in d3 everybody in the forum and everywhere would complain about it not to see everything but had to pay same price than all, in PoE it more like something that the players who not yet killed shaper or ubers see this as kind of a goal to reach. Even it takes years.
There is so much diversity in PoE about characterization and with such good developers hearing us, not for everything, giving us new content every 13 weeks, it is a joy to play this game. While it is boring as f.. to play the other game.

If there will be a D4 in some years in the far future, I doubt if they would leave their way how they think it should be played.
The bottom line is that the Diablo series has travelled down a very different path of PoE.

Diablo is more fluid and polished than PoE will ever be, but looking at D3 it's a totally different game.

D3 (and more than likley D4) are:
- Much nicer to play generally speaking
- Much more 'casual friendly'
- Much more optimized
- Much more linear in terms of mechanics and progression
- Much better at group play

PoE is:
- Infinatly more complex than any Diablo game ever has, or will be
- Much shorter release cycles with more content. Sure, you might not like the content, but the chances are ever 1-3 leagues there will be something you like
- A much more diverse set of gameplay styles
- Much more 'playability' and 'longjevity'

This whole conversation is almost pointless, because the two games fall into totally different caterogies at this point.
It’s a conspiracy, Chris Wilson and Jay Wilson are brothers (obviously not twins, one has a shiny head) and they’ve managed to play y’all like an accordion....yin and yang....D3 and PoE...
"I've played a lot of videogames. It's my primary recreational activity. Best games ever: Elden Ring and Diablo 4."
~Elon Musk, 2023

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info