respecing.

"
pluppmupp wrote:

What a no respec policy will mean is there will be one cookie-cutter build that everyone will stick to since if they mess up they're screwed.

By viewing the Build of the Week videos on youtube you can certainly see that you are horribly wrong. Furthermore, GGG gives out free respecs all the time when they make changes to the passive skill tree or add lots of new skills.
"
IraDeLucis wrote:
"
chodster wrote:
I think full respect should be allowed but very rare - 2 or 3 per game.

The ability to change about 5 skill points would be useful, but very very costly and have a in game time restraint

I've heard a lot of people make these kinds of statements without any reasoning.
Why do you feel that respeccing should be limited? What do you think it takes away from the game play experience?

Replayability.
Take care out there.
"
Lagruell wrote:
"
IraDeLucis wrote:
"
chodster wrote:

The ability to change about 5 skill points would be useful, but very very costly and have a in game time restraint

I've heard a lot of people make these kinds of statements without any reasoning.
Why do you feel that respeccing should be limited? What do you think it takes away from the game play experience?

Replayability.

/signed

You don´t need to respec, you can create a new char. :)
"
pluppmupp wrote:

Respecing has nothing to do with if the game is easy or not. Being unable to respec just for the sake of having to make a new char is a HUGE gamebreaking flaw. If that's what it takes to make you re-play the game something is very wrong with the game. It is a mentality of maybe 10-20 years past and games today should IMO be more flexible especially considering the huge talent trees. It's funny when you say experiment when this game design DOES NOT approve of experimenting. What a no respec policy will mean is there will be one cookie-cutter build that everyone will stick to since if they mess up they're screwed. I don't like the idea that you should be able to respec whenever either, so maybe put an x day timer on it or something like that. Something else I'm missing is a confirm button when specing.

Personally not being able to respec really puts me off and even tho I enjoy the game as a whole, I've had really bad experiences with no respecing in the past and in PoE.

There is more into the issue than just what your mentioning. Free full respecs would cheapen the game in more than one way. For instance people can lvl through the game quickly using the best possible build and then respec to something else. People do play the game competitively for ladders and pvp. Full respecs would be used as an exploit.

This game wants you to earn your build. If you decide that your going to make a sword/shield templar that uses tempest shield with double strike then you should have looked at what makes the build work and then taken the time to gather your orbs and equipment that compliments your build. If you make some mistakes on the tree along the way its no big deal because you have some respec points to fix things along with the orbs of regret.

If you find that the build is boring then you shouldn't be much higher than lvl 20 and can start over without having spent a whole lot of time on it. If you decided at that point that you wish that you would have made a duel totem/summoner templar then you could then plan your new route on the tree and start over.

It feels good making a build and seeing it work because you put the time and effort into making it work. Free full respecs cheapens the game. I think the majority of players sees and achknowledges this. I have always been a big fan of respecing, I didn't like D2 when you couldn't respec. When I played PoE for the first time I was really surprised at the gracious amount of respecs given to the player.
Standard Forever
"
xSTGx wrote:

Especially given that -- as far as I can tell -- there doesn't seem to be so much as a "Click OK to Confirm", or "Are You Sure?" involved in actually permanently consuming a skill point! No "Undo" either? One click and it's gone. You could accidentally consume a point just trying to navigate your way around the tree! (And I almost did.)

I think your making an issue out of nothing here. It would be very difficult to accidentally assign a skill point without meaning to. You can only choose a point thats along the path that you have chosen. So out of the entire forest you only have a small amount of nodes that you could possibly activate along the brightly lit path that you made yourself.....
Standard Forever
"
Lagruell wrote:
"
IraDeLucis wrote:
"
chodster wrote:

Replayability.

/signed too :) Full respecs ruins replayability.
Yllä lohduton taivas, alla hylätty maa. Yksin yöstä kurkotan valoon, vielä huudan: päästäkää minut!
"
iamstryker wrote:

There is more into the issue than just what your mentioning. Free full respecs would cheapen the game in more than one way. For instance people can lvl through the game quickly using the best possible build and then respec to something else. People do play the game competitively for ladders and pvp. Full respecs would be used as an exploit.

This game wants you to earn your build. If you decide that your going to make a sword/shield templar that uses tempest shield with double strike then you should have looked at what makes the build work and then taken the time to gather your orbs and equipment that compliments your build. If you make some mistakes on the tree along the way its no big deal because you have some respec points to fix things along with the orbs of regret.

If you find that the build is boring then you shouldn't be much higher than lvl 20 and can start over without having spent a whole lot of time on it. If you decided at that point that you wish that you would have made a duel totem/summoner templar then you could then plan your new route on the tree and start over.

It feels good making a build and seeing it work because you put the time and effort into making it work. Free full respecs cheapens the game. I think the majority of players sees and achknowledges this. I have always been a big fan of respecing, I didn't like D2 when you couldn't respec. When I played PoE for the first time I was really surprised at the gracious amount of respecs given to the player.

I'm not saying it should be free, but there should be a possibility to respec. For instance lets say you spec a certain way and then a patch hits you in your face which makes your max leveled char now totally useless. Happened to me in D2 and in other games and that made me quit since I like to min/max my chars in all games and patches tend to impact on skills and builds. Not being able to cope with that makes it a lottery.
1000 bucks to respec, I'd be cool with that.
You got full respec in D2? No. So .. Next.
"While the enemies of the Emperor still draw breath, there can be no peace."
"
Kashdan wrote:
You got full respec in D2? No. So .. Next.

Which is exactly my point if you read my post.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info