respecing.

"
oblomir wrote:
"
darkmeiun wrote:
replayability is not about forcing you making a new char, replayability is about content and stuff you can do in game.

How does easy buildswitching to do a small portion at the end of the content over and over again differently somehow offer more replayability than rerolling and experiencing entire content in a different way?

first of all i never said that respecing should be unlimited. secondly PoE does not offer different content if you start over again anyway.

~5h of content which only is extended in higher difficulties which offer nothing more (well maps on merciless, but you still need to get there killing same 5 mobs for quite some time) and if you realise you're in deep crap lets say mid act 3 cruel, i sure won't have much enjoyement doing the same all over content again and waste quite a lot of time. but if it was given lets say 3 full respecs that would be different, and would even encourage new builds more. as currently there are tons of Kripps thoughout marauders and templars running around, duelist is almost forgotten and ppl use only most viable premaid builds (hammerdin any?)

currently there are quite a lot of players because this game offers something new, but they will go away and only a small group of grinders will be left. ocasionally some players will return when new content is released to check it out, but chances are the server maintanance costs will become higher than the small community could provide. but yet again probably the devs will translate it to chinese and go there, where grinding is popular and having a blue crown for money is super cool.
"
darkmeiun wrote:
i sure won't have much enjoyement doing the same all over content again and waste quite a lot of time.

Various leagues, and doing the same thing over and over again in them is what this game is all about.

From most of what you say it just sounds like ARPG's, this one in particular, aren't really your thing.
Which is perfectly fine, but you're asking for the game to fundamentally change it's basics which you must realize isn't gonna happen.
3 full respecs isnt a fundemental change, removing skill tree and making cliche skills for each class would be.

with current small content and practicaly no story or direction it would be more like and arcade game than an arpg, you just go through the game klling everything and you start all over again. i like the custimisation freedome and planning, part of PoE but currently all of it is quite pointless apart from not suffering the releveling of a char because of some minor mistake in the middle that costs a lot at higher difficulties.
"
darkmeiun wrote:
not suffering the releveling of a char because of some minor mistake in the middle that costs a lot at higher difficulties.

Minor mistakes can already easily be fixed with respec points and orbs of regret.

I'm arguing against the ability to completely change the build to a radically new direction because that defeats the purpose of building a character in the first place.
"
oblomir wrote:
"
darkmeiun wrote:
not suffering the releveling of a char because of some minor mistake in the middle that costs a lot at higher difficulties.

Minor mistakes can already easily be fixed with respec points and orbs of regret.

I'm arguing against the ability to completely change the build to a radically new direction because that defeats the purpose of building a character in the first place.

cant be fixed if you went to a "highway" to other region and you notices that a keystone would have helped you tons wich is either 6 points away or 1 point away if you had gone differently in the middle. and for that a couple of orbs of regret isnt enough.
im just posting on this because it happend to me, was making a tank type char and picked acrobatics and went deep to spell avoid i didnt realize at first what happend honestly im not sure what kind of difference it made but that char became ruined its not a tank type anymore.

so yah it sucks when you mess up and dont realise it i have no idea of later gems and such i find a gem late game that could change whole char build i dunno how are you suppose to work with that??
"
The solution is simple to me. Make Orbs of Regret slightly less rare and lower on the currency tree for the Open Beta or final release. There are respec points in the game already and they should follow that system.

I agree with this 100%. I think that adding a full respec option via microtransactions or by in-game means would be the wrong direction to go. I feel the current system in place works, but just needs to be a little more available. I don't mean orbs of regret should be as common as scrolls of wisdom, but if I am a 2h marauder with sword passives and want to switch to say axe passives, I should feel able to take time to grind out some orbs and switch instead of completely re-rolling. This wouldn't mean that I would never level another marauder, I would have no problem leveling a let's say dual-wielding marauder with axe passives as well, and also having this system in place in case I wanted to switch him to sword passives. Doing this would also still be fair in hardcore and other leagues.

Many other and better reasons have been brought up to justify respeccing, but I think the bottom line is people should feel able to grind out orbs or make easier trades for them rather than completely starting over.
"
darkmeiun wrote:
"
ProNab wrote:
People forget one thing here. As soon as you've good gear to grind, you can grind easy and drop into last difficult areas in a couple of days since we've just 3 Acts for now.

Respecs as they're right now are fine. You get some free points, from quests, to change some misclicks and that's all. If you want to try new builds, make new chars and grind the game faster then the first time. Game would be boring if all what you want is to try new builds and nothing more while grinding a new char can give you more fun and even find new uses for your char.

you sure like grinding.

It's not about liking or not, it's about the game be short. If you party with a friend that is half decent and both start now playing from Act 1, they're in Cruel Difficulty in 2-3 days of 3-4h daily gaming. Repeat the same and in less then a week you're in the last stage of difficult already.

The game, at the current moment, it's short, it's just 3 Acts+Maps, nothing more. If there isn't more gameplay from our side to balance it, the game can die from one instance to another[it won't but I think you can get what I mean with this]. People want that? No, we want to have fun like we are used to in this type of games. We want to compete to see who is faster or not in the upcoming leagues. We want to see people doing weird builds with pretty much no sense except for them and see that they actually work!!

It happens with others ARPGs, this isn't the first one to do that. It's either big gameplay or short with difficulties+extra things to do.

Sure that after sometime the game can change from 3 Acts to something big as 15 Acts. If that happens then that's another story and, depending on how things work at that time, I wouldn't mind a free respec available to every player that achieves the last Act and do a special quest, for example, but that is later, at the moment it's fine.
Last edited by ProNab on Feb 2, 2013, 2:28:32 AM
"
MikoDarkblade wrote:
Well I don't understand why people are so against respeccing. I figured if you dont want to respec just dont and let those who wants/needs to do so. Live and let live anyone? Why try to control what others can and can't do.

I know that the one thing that made me want to buy and try this game (I actually made a donation for early play...) was that huge skill tree. I just love to play around with it and test it again and again to try to find in practice what suits my playstyle the best. If there is no respeccing all that fun aspect of the game is just gone and sort of wasted. If I have no more fun I will most likely not start another character again (and again) but just move on to another game... It's not a treat but for some people like me it's what keeps us in the game. I'll probably try a few different classes but I wont restart the exact same class a second time just to build it differently. I know the game is free but my guess is that they still want people to keep on playing it.

As it stands I choose PoE over D3. That skill tree was the clincher for me... Just let me play with it!!

TOTALLY AGREE.. !!! LOVE this statement and really says it all for me
"
Well I don't understand why people are so against respeccing. I figured if you dont want to respec just dont and let those who wants/needs to do so. Live and let live anyone? Why try to control what others can and can't do.
"
WhiteBoy wrote:
This game is competitively ranked. Using respecs to overcome challenges or build deficiencies offers an advantage over players who don't want to use them. This is also why it's highly unlikely that respecs will be available in the cash shop.

There will be a confirmation of some sort added to the passive window, eventually.

"Because other people are stubborn about respeccing, other people shouldn't be allowed to."
Hail Thor-show thy might, Let thunder roar and lightning strike! Hurl thy hammer into the fray, And let thine enemies know fear this day!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info