Trade Etiquette: Seller or buyer sends trade request first?

it seems to make sense for the seller to initiate trade because he has to fish the item from his stash first.

on the other hand, it sometimes takes ages for some people's toasters to load a plain hideout, me as a seller making trade requests fails ever so often cause my ui shows them in the hideout but their client isn't there.

ggg could update their ui so still having the chat open from getting the item name, and an open stash window is not making impossible to accept a trade request.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
Last edited by vio on Feb 6, 2019, 2:14:26 AM
I've been scolded by sellers when I send the trade request... Usually when theyre busy with 3-4 trades simultaniously, so now I just wait regardless :)
So someone with 36 challenges whispers for a 3c quill rain I've had sitting for most of the league. I barely load into town and he's spamming me trade reqs.

At this point I'm already annoyed. I was gonna grab it from town stash but I'm not going to put up with that level of impatience over multiple ex trades, yet mr 36 challenges can't wait for me to even load before poking and prodding.

His last line is idiot as I zone out of the ho. Guy would probably have saved a lot more time by doing what the rest of us do when trading...
Yep, totally over league play.
"
Nephalim wrote:
Is there eqiquette on how fast you should multi messsage people?

I follow the rule of thumb: if trade message i've sent fades away and there is no reply from seller - i can send trade request to another player. I wait for reply more time only if the item is non-common.
retired from forum because of censorship and discrimination
Last edited by DivineChampion on Feb 7, 2019, 4:25:26 AM
"
FathomWheel wrote:
7) Buyer initiates trade while seller finds the item
8) Seller accepts trade when they find the item
9) Buyer leaves

For me it should be like this:
7) Buyer patiently waits. Seller sends trade request once he found asked item.
8) Buyer accepts trade request.
9) Buyer leaves party and leaves seller's hideout.

Also there is one more paragraph:
8+) In trade window buyer should put currency first and only after that he should examine item put by seller.
Otherwise it is like buyer expecting seller to scam which is not nice.
Last edited by DivineChampion on Feb 7, 2019, 5:07:14 AM
"
"
Nephalim wrote:
Is there eqiquette on how fast you should multi messsage people?

I follow the rule of thumb: if trade message i've sent fades away and there is no reply from seller - i can send trade request to another player. I wait for reply more time only if the item is non-common.

For expensive shit i wait a little bit, like a few minutes. For maps and other common uniques etc? Hell no, I cant wait for the first 20 people to be unresponsive. I usually spam 5-10 people at the same time after the first one failed me.
"
insilopeh wrote:
I usually spam 5-10 people at the same time after the first one failed me.

So you are wasting time of 5-10 people because someone wasted your time? GJ, people like you are making trading cancerous.
Seller sends party invite and trade request. I should be ready and waiting before I even send my trade message, then wait for them to be ready. I'm interrupting their gameplay/whatever--they're not doing anything to mine.
I have a pretty good sense of humor. I'm not German.
"
"
insilopeh wrote:
I usually spam 5-10 people at the same time after the first one failed me.

So you are wasting time of 5-10 people because someone wasted your time? GJ, people like you are making trading cancerous.

I usually have to spam 5-10 additional people, and then another 5-10. If more than 1 suddenly shows up, i'll buy it from everyone, seeing how I only spam multiple people for cheap things. What makes trade cancerous is people who do not respond. I am not wasting anyone's time, unless this person answers 5-10minutes after i wrote to him in which case, I don't really care. Sellers shouldnt expect people to wait for 10 minutes.
if im in my hideout and someone wants a cheap item i have no problem sending them an invite and selling.

if im in the middle of something and someone wants some super cheap item that i feel isnt worth my time going back to the hideout over, i wont even reply until im done what im doing. especially if im in a delve or bossing or soemething which i could possibly die in the middle of. ill wait until im done and ready, and ill ask if the person still wants it. if they dont want it whether they found someone else to sell them their map for 1 chisel, or just felt insulted after having to wait a couple minutes for their cheap little item, i couldnt give a shit less.

multiple whispers for some petty item while im in the middle of something won't get them an invite either, though it will get people ignored almost as fast as it would if they whisper me for an item and then send me a party invite. yeah, i get it, youre like super impatient and u need that cheap little item you seen like right now, and having a bit of currency in your fairy tale world makes you special and everybody should just drop what theyre doing and roll out the red carpet for you. thats a cool story and all bro but im afraid now youre going to have to find your item elsewhere

if they dont like it, i dont care. theyre not entitled to anything, and i play the game on my time, not anybody elses. when someone impatiently tries to come at me for a cheap little item and then try to tell me to jump, i am not going to ask them how high?
Last edited by idrankyourbeer on Feb 7, 2019, 7:45:42 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info