Trade Etiquette: Seller or buyer sends trade request first?

How trading goes:

Buyer has all the time in the world to get setup; they should be prepared beforehand (i.e. having currency in inventory, has room in inventory to receive item, etc...)

Seller doesn't know when they're going to get pinged so they'll need a little bit of time to get the item (portal out, go to stash, find item, check price...).

It goes like this:

1) Buyer finds item to buy
2) Buyer makes sure their inventory is set up right
3) Buyer sends message
4) Seller accepts and sends party invite
5) Seller portals to HO when invite accepted by buyer
5) Buyer portals to seller's HO
6) Seller finds item in stash
7) Buyer initiates trade while seller finds the item
8) Seller accepts trade when they find the item
9) Buyer leaves
"
Boem wrote:
And i am an asshole, to people who deserve it, like that a** who responds with "hurry it up you flaming turd" when i tell them they have to wait a minute.
As a fellow paste-eating dipshit and occassional (usually when warranted) asshole, I heartily approve of the circumstances where you unleash the assholery.
Knowledge is power.
Power corrupts.
Stay stupid.
It's extremely annoying when buyers send a trade request. Usually it's either right after I left map (do people think I carry their 2h unique weapon in my inventory while mapping...?), or when I need to make room in my inventory and the item I try to move is exactly under the trade request they just sent me. After some time I started to cancel all such requests no matter if I'm ready or not. I hope it's suggestive enough to teach people to wait a few more seconds.

There are cases when buyer sending a trade request is more than fine: it's when they have long loading times and trader's request expires; or after the request is canceled by the buyer.
The Bother progress: 11%

You don't even imagine how much harm you've caused. I'm not sure I'll live long enough to finish "The Bother". You're one of my murderers. You will never get my forgiveness unless you make up for what you've done.
"
FathomWheel wrote:
How trading goes:

Buyer has all the time in the world to get setup; they should be prepared beforehand (i.e. having currency in inventory, has room in inventory to receive item, etc...)

Seller doesn't know when they're going to get pinged so they'll need a little bit of time to get the item (portal out, go to stash, find item, check price...).

It goes like this:

1) Buyer finds item to buy
2) Buyer makes sure their inventory is set up right
3) Buyer sends message
4) Seller accepts and sends party invite
5) Seller portals to HO when invite accepted by buyer
5) Buyer portals to seller's HO
6) Seller finds item in stash
7) Buyer initiates trade while seller finds the item
8) Seller accepts trade when they find the item
9) Buyer leaves

Agree, except 7+. Seller finds the item and then sends the request. The trade request window is very annoying while you are typing the name of the item in the search.
As for waiting for the buyer to load.. if you send trade request before they are loaded - it will expire when they load, so you know you can send it again and the buyer can accept it. If you wait to get request - what are you gona do anyways? I sometimes start crafting jewels or some other easy stuff :D. Still have to wait, except now there is no indication when loading is done.
1.buyer sends the seller a whisper
2.seller invites the buyer
3.buyer goes to the seller's ho
4.seller initiates the trade (it's annoying if vice versa, because the seller might have just come out of his map and needs a moment to find the item)
5.trade
6.bai
Quit after Legion, rejoined PoE to see what the game's like now in 3.12.
Last edited by Paldamus on Feb 5, 2019, 12:37:34 AM
"
Ozxell wrote:
for me, the one who gets into another one hideout needs to request and most of the time is the buyer

why? because of the loading time is different for each person and when The seller send trade request he can't do anything but standing still and wait for responses that waste of time.

but if the buyer send the trade request that means he's loading complete and ready to trade.

sometimes I got 2 buyers at the same time and its very annoying because I don't know which one is ready to trade first.

WRONG!

Every asshole buyer who does that goes on my ignore list. Fucking disrespectful of them to throw the trade request when I'm obviously dealing with shit in my inventory from mapping and finding the item they want to buy.

Your comment about waiting for them to load in is stupid. If I send the request while they are loading it, it does not fail. It just pops up for them after they are done loading. Either way, I have to wait for them to load in.

The fact that I sent the request changes nothing about how long I have to wait.
"
Nephalim wrote:
Is there eqiquette on how fast you should multi messsage people?

I've had instances where I've invited people literally not even 1.5 seconds after they msged me for something only to have them refuse or ignore. I find this to be incredibly frustraiting and happens most often with the lower value items like maps which make that process even worse than it already is for both sides.

If someone I messaged 30 seconds ago finally replies, right after I sent a request to you, I will decline you and say, "Someone I messaged earlier finally replied."
Nobody seemed to mention /whois btw. Using it after sending the wtb message helps to decide how long to wait. Hideout or some easy stuff - wait about the duration of breach/abyss, then message next. Big boss - wait a bit longer. To respond fast to a trade request - Ctrl + Enter - that pms the last person who messaged you. "Sec" is enough if you will be ready to trade within a minute or two
If someone opens the trade before I am ready to sell I decline and deny the sale. If a person immediately reopens trade I put them on ignore. Easy as that.

Seller should always initiate the trade. Anything else feels pushy and rude.

If a person tries to add me to friends list or invite me to party before they ask about trade I also ignore them or deny the trade depending on how pushy they are.
Last edited by arknath on Feb 5, 2019, 1:09:00 AM
"
arknath wrote:

If a person tries to add me to friends list

I misclick this once a league pls don't ignore me :( I do say it was a misclick tho, just in case

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info