Trade Etiquette: Seller or buyer sends trade request first?

If the buyer sends a trade request, I usually cancel it. If he does it again, I leave the party.
I mean, it´s like slapping a shop assistant with dollar bills while he tries to find the requested product in the shelf.

Often enough the trade request blocks the inventory so you can´t make space to place the item in it. You just don´t do it, be a little patient.
I have to admit that I have Alt-F4'ed out of the game when someone spammed me with trade requests for something like a 1 alch item.
Last edited by IamLoco on Feb 5, 2019, 4:23:47 AM
The issue with waiting for the seller to initiate trade is 2-fold:

1) The buyer has no way to know if the seller is waiting for a trade message or if they're looking for the item
2) The seller is usually busy with the stash; the seller initiating it helps to offload how much the seller has to do
3) The seller can not be sure that the buyer has arrived at HO and is ready to trade

By initiating the dialogue, the buyer signals to the seller that he is in the HO, able to trade when needed. At worst, the buyer will cancel and re-send when ready.
Last edited by FathomWheel on Feb 5, 2019, 3:35:50 PM
If someone buying something from me joins my party, enters my hideout and immediately throws up a trade window, I leave party.
Have some fucking patience.
First I have to port to my hideout from whatever map or delve I was running, go to my stash and find the item, and if you toss up a trade window... we're done.
Goodbye, buy it from someone else.
Every trade has two things in common. Those two things dictate how every trade should happen:

1) The buyer knows whats coming and should be prepared upfront
2) The seller doesnt know whats coming, and thus is to be given time

Buyer contacts seller
Seller invites buyer
Buyer comes to sellers HO
Seller initiates the trade when hes ready

Anything else is innacceptable.
Its really easy and all common sense folks..

Last edited by chrdong on Feb 5, 2019, 5:00:47 PM
"
FathomWheel wrote:

1) The buyer has no way to know if the seller is waiting for a trade message or if they're looking for the item
2) The seller is usually busy with the stash; the seller initiating it helps to offload how much the seller has to do
3) The seller can not be sure that the buyer has arrived at HO and is ready to trade

By initiating the dialogue, the buyer signals to the seller that he is in the HO, able to trade when needed. At worst, the buyer will cancel and re-send when ready.

1) Little experience with trading and now he knows. I'd say it's common sense to do that, but sure, not everyone has it. Also 3)
2) wow saving 2 clicks :D Such help
3) Move
if someone sends me a request after joining when im selling i just ignore it until i pull the item out and then i accept.
Last edited by idrankyourbeer on Feb 5, 2019, 9:51:05 PM
i like the clowns who spam 3 or 4 messages in a minute for like some cheap 1 alc item or something if i cant drop what im doing immediately and send them a party invite within 2 seconds of getting their first whisper just to serve them up their vendor trash. my ignore list is growing, mainly from these types of players.

if im at my hideout i have no problem sending out an invite and selling. easy peasy

if im busy doing something or in a delve or zana map or whatever and all they want is some cheap item not worth my time over, ill wait until im done with it and ready and then get back to them and see if they still want it

if im in the middle of something and someone sends multiple messages within a short timeframe for some cheap item, instant ignore.

if anyone edits a whisper to alter the price of an item, they get kicked and ignored

if someone sends a party invite right after whispering to buy, instant ignore. in fact, thats the easiest way to get ignored. go petition for an auction house if you believe you are entitled to an item the second you see it listed.

if someone tries to drop in lower currency, especially without whispering beforehand, i just cancel. i give them one more chance to trade, if they do it again i kick them, relist the item and go on with my business. if they continue to persist, i ignore. even if they do finally decide to want to pay up, ive gave them enough chances and theyve wasted enough of my time. find your cheap item elsewhere.

if someone tries to lowball me, especially on an item that i know is already the cheapest or not unreasonably priced, i just tell them im not a charity service. if they continue with it, i tell them to come back with my money or find another item. im not going to hear their sob story about why theyre poor or whatever reason they feel entitled to the item and want to lowball me. odds are they are just cheapskates who try this on every item they buy. the community doesnt owe me anything, and i dont ask for handouts or haggle on items with a fixed price. i expect the same in return. if you think my shit is too expensive, fine. find it elsewhere, but dont whisper me and waste my time. if they continue to try to get me to drop the price after my first refusal, its straight to ignore for these guys too. if my shit doesnt sell, i will drop the prices on my own leisure. not when some random person pretty much demands me to. i dont run a charity service. if they dont get the hint the first time, they can fuck right off.

ive also stopped replying to noobs whispering something like hey bro, sell me your bow. or i want to buy your <insert name of cheap item you already have 10 of up for sale>. im not a psychic that can read your mind, i dont know what item you want or how much im selling it for. im not playing hide and go seek for them anymore either. ive wasted enough time with these guys teaching them how to find the whisper button, and making a 30 second transaction take 5 minutes, not gonna explain it to them anymore, theyll have to figure it out. i wont respond anymore, if they spam, ill ignore

thats about how i handle everything. i dont care to deal with people who want to waste my time over cheap items or feel entitled for me to drop what im doing and rush to sell them a cheap item, or people who just want to be a cheapskate and lowball for everything. at first i was a patient guy, but now my ignore list is slowly expanding with these kind of people.
Last edited by idrankyourbeer on Feb 5, 2019, 11:43:51 PM
IMO seller should always be the one to initiate the trade. Annoys me when I come in and they immediately ask for trade. Haven't even hit the stash yet. Makes me feel rushed and annoyed. So (yes this is petty) I usually just sit there and wait for it to expire out of annoyance.

It happened so few times previous leagues that I never even really noticed it. This league I have noticed buyer's do this more than ever before.
"
FathomWheel wrote:

"2 fold"? There is zero problems with waiting for the seller to hit trade. Think about it. Use your damn head. He already knows you're ready. After all, you whispered him.

A trade window in my way as I'm looking for the item in my stash is NOT helpful.
"
rahven32 wrote:
IMO seller should always be the one to initiate the trade. Annoys me when I come in and they immediately ask for trade. Haven't even hit the stash yet. Makes me feel rushed and annoyed. So (yes this is petty) I usually just sit there and wait for it to expire out of annoyance.

well, on the bright side when they send a request i think it keeps them in place, so they cant just start leaping around your hideout and spamming spells all over your screen like an impatient little fruitcake while youre busy trying to find them their item.

i dont bother making them wait, i tend to want to spend as little time with them as it takes to pull out the item and trade, so ill keep the request up until i get the item out and then i'll accept. it doesnt benefit me any by letting their request time out before sending the trade, so i just wont bother.
Last edited by idrankyourbeer on Feb 6, 2019, 1:36:04 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info