Trade Etiquette: Seller or buyer sends trade request first?

Seller or buyer sends trade request first? https://strawpoll.com/rwf2hp1s

Ever since I've been trading in PoE, if I'm the buyer I always wait till the seller sends a trade request first. And of course if I'm the seller I much prefer to send first. Lately it's been really irritating me when I just get out of a map after inviting someone, only to have them send me a request to trade the moment I get into my HO. It's like, give me a minute to dump my stuff and such! To me it just feels so pushy. Even more so if I decline because I'm not quite ready and they send one again.

Anyways, what's people's preferences on this and thoughts?
Last bumped on May 13, 2019, 8:29:22 PM
Seller send request = i'm ready right now lets go, lets go! I got shit to do come on!
Seller sends, you should arrive with payment already in your inventory, if you/they move to stash you obviously need to wait a sec while they are getting the goods/currency out.
for me, the one who gets into another one hideout needs to request and most of the time is the buyer

why? because of the loading time is different for each person and when The seller send trade request he can't do anything but standing still and wait for responses that waste of time.

but if the buyer send the trade request that means he's loading complete and ready to trade.

sometimes I got 2 buyers at the same time and its very annoying because I don't know which one is ready to trade first.
Last edited by Ozxell on Feb 4, 2019, 12:13:12 PM
Basic etiquette.

You send your trade request.

You wait and accept a party request.

You join their HO.

You wait until they trade request.

Sometimes I will initiate a request after a period of time because some may be expecting you to do it.

That's really about it. After the trade is done there is a chance the buyer mistook the item in many ways etc. It's solely up to the seller to make a return, but I personally always will do it.
Last edited by poeGT on Feb 4, 2019, 12:25:13 PM
For me, it's only ok for the buyer to request a trade if there is noone else in the party. I don't mind if a buyer does this to me because it saves me a few clicks.
"
Ozxell wrote:
for me, the one who gets into another one hideout needs to request and most of the time is the buyer

why? because of the loading time is different for each person and when The seller send trade request he can't do anything but standing still and wait for responses that waste of time.

but if the buyer send the trade request that means he's loading complete and ready to trade.

sometimes I got 2 buyers at the same time and its very annoying because I don't know which one is ready to trade first.

I understand about the loading times. So if you send it right away and they're not loaded, you waste time. If you wait for them to be ready and load in, you're still possibly waiting though.

"
Draegnarrr wrote:
Seller sends, you should arrive with payment already in your inventory, if you/they move to stash you obviously need to wait a sec while they are getting the goods/currency out.

That's pretty much how I see it too :D
The buyer wants something from the seller, so the seller gets to decide about the when, where and what of the transaction. If you want something from someone else, you have to accept their terms.

In my opinion, the buyer has no right to send the trade or party (I already had that happen) request first (outside of the initial whisper). If you do, most people assume you're an impatient dickhead.
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
"
FCK42 wrote:
In my opinion, the buyer has no right to send the trade or party (I already had that happen) request first (outside of the initial whisper). If you do, most people assume you're an impatient dickhead.

Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. I find it quite off-putting and irksome. On par with people spamming a new buyer request after waiting a whole 1.5 seconds after the first one.
Knowledge is power.
Power corrupts.
Stay stupid.
Last edited by Foogalicious on Feb 4, 2019, 1:56:21 PM
You wait for the seller to send the trade request.

Most sellers arent sitting there waiting for you because people spam message and then dont actually trade. So they usually need to dump inventory and get the item for you, which they cant do with your constant and repeated trade requests in front of the inventory.

Especially in a situation where there are many people, the seller is what determines whos item he has in his inventory to trade, not who messages him first.

In the trade transaction, the buyer cannot generally tell if the seller is ready, but the seller can always tell if the buyer is ready by their presence.
HAIL SATAN!
Last edited by tramshed on Feb 4, 2019, 1:57:59 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info