Do I need to have a naked slave woman shackled to my mana pool?

"
lpcoduti wrote:
I, as a husband of a girl gamer, do in fact like the boobies. But I would much rather have a game my girlfriend/wife would be happy playing with me, than go off to play a game by myself. Honestly, I'm not sure why so many boys here are not coming to OP's defense (well, I know why, but the logic is not there.) If you are a straight white male who likes to play video games, I promise you that you will live a happier life if you can get your SO into them too. I can also promise you that this will be much easier when a game is not a) Pointing out to your girl how inferior her body is, and b) In the event that her body is not inferior, telling her that she is wrong for wearing clothes. This being the case, it simply does not make sense to defend any kind of game feature which even "might" makes some women uncomfortable. Our goal should be to make gaming MORE appealing to them then it is to us.

The problem I have with this is that I don't believe the art is there to "point out to your girl how inferior her body is" or for "telling her that she is wrong for wearing clothes." That's just silly. I mean, does your girl look at the Mona Lisa and feel like she has to have a goofy ass smile on her face because that's what that painting is showing her? Put it in context, man.

There's bare-chested manly men running around and I don't feel inferior because I got a belly. I just see it as characters in a pretend world, that fit within a theme.

The OP complaint would be valid if it were a consistent issue, where women were treated as lesser beings, but having played a witch, I can say this game has some strong female characters.
"
The problem I have with this is that I don't believe the art is there to "point out to your girl how inferior her body is" or for "telling her that she is wrong for wearing clothes." That's just silly. I mean, does your girl look at the Mona Lisa and feel like she has to have a goofy ass smile on her face because that's what that painting is showing her? Put it in context, man.

I completely agree with you that they do not have any negative intentions with their choice of aesthetics. However, the fact remains that in our society today, (USA,) women ARE constantly over sexualized. Thus, until this is not the case, developers will unfortunately have to go out of their way to ensure that their content cannot be taken in a negative light. Sadly, good intentions are just not enough to make it ok.
I understand that this is not a big deal - for you men.

You are preaching false equivalencies. A shirtless man is not the same as a shirtless woman - just ask the FCC. Rape and sexual violence is rare for men to experience, but endemic among women. When a woman sees this, it's a threat.

We play in a fantasy world where violence and cruelty are fun, because they're not real. It stops being fun when it is. I had a friend who couldn't play black ops anymore after his friend was shot down and killed in Iraq. Sexualized violence - BS like the breasty mana globe slave - is too real for most women for it to be anything other than disgusting.

It's up to GGG to decide whether this one idiotic image is worth risking losing 10-40% of their market.
"
Rape and sexual violence is rare for men to experience

Not out in the real world yet, i see.
I was wondering when the air headed feminists with their meaningless complaints would show up.
Last edited by IKNOWU on Feb 28, 2013, 12:25:18 AM
"
natye wrote:

Oh boy, the old 'you are a man, you CANNOT understand because you lack ovaries (or mammaries)'.

"

You are preaching false equivalencies. A shirtless man is not the same as a shirtless woman - just ask the FCC. Rape and sexual violence is rare for men to experience, but endemic among women. When a woman sees this, it's a threat.

You are of course aware that rape of men is primarily so rare because most common definitions of rape only define rape as penetration. So unless a man is penetrated by, say, a broom handle, it is not. Considered. Rape.
It's pretty easy to say "98% of rape cases are women!" when the definition of rape excludes men as victims in the first place, wouldn't you say?

That said: Yes, there is a double standard between exposed breasts in women and men. I for one welcome every woman to walk shirt-/braless, and I can assure you: Your breasts are going to become very uninteresting in a very short time.

"

We play in a fantasy world where violence and cruelty are fun, because they're not real. It stops being fun when it is. I had a friend who couldn't play black ops anymore after his friend was shot down and killed in Iraq. Sexualized violence - BS like the breasty mana globe slave - is too real for most women for it to be anything other than disgusting.

Sigh, the tired old "women are much more prone to experience violence" lie.
They are not. Men are statistically more likely to be the victim of every single form of violence (apart from rape) than women.
What's next? "One in two women are raped in their lifetime", and the claim that half the women in the world can not play PoE because there are two scantily clad women in view (that most people apparently do not even consciously notice until they are pointed out to them)?
WAY to guilt-trip.

And how you bring 'sexualized violence' into play frankly astounds me. Can you whip those orb babes? Can you harm them, subject them to violence in any way? No, you cannot.
PoE features violence. Tough tuckers. But in no way, shape or form is it sexualized.

"

It's up to GGG to decide whether this one idiotic image is worth risking losing 10-40% of their market.

Okay, I admit, you had me going. But losing up to 40% of their customers because of those two orb babes? Either you're trolling hard or completely deluded.
Sorry.
On second thought: no, not sorry. You're bonkers.

In closing: It truly saddens me how very serious issues are taken to such petty topics. Making an elephant out of a gnat just about sums it up. No, equivocating 'sexual violence' and those two orb babes is not proportional.
12/12/12 - the day Germany decided boys are not quite human.
Last edited by Avireyn on Feb 28, 2013, 1:46:58 AM
"
natye wrote:

40%... really. Let's get real. PC game audiences have a greater percentage of men gamers than consoles. On top of that, certain genres, such as PoE's, attract an even more lopsided number of men vs women. Games that are produced and published by AAA studios, are the ones that need to concern themselves with being politically-correct. Which is only because of the huge market that comes in contact with AAA games, let alone that only AAA games have the funding to check and correct and then check and correct things for political correctness.

It's all about money and common sense. Even if PoE approached alienating 15% of gamers that tried the game, it still wouldn't be financially sound to address the issue. 15% of a PoE's audience, isn't that big of a number when taken in context of the gaming industry.

As far as how the community has responded to Zifna, I'm surprised this didn't go worse because I would have figured that somebody would have gone crazy on Zifna to the point of being suspended or banned from the forums. So my compliments to the community.

Zifna, cut Russell from GGG some slack.
"
natye wrote:
if the response is "Suck it up," that's the response.

Russell isn't some Public Relations Spokesperson that an AAA game would have. It is a uncommon thing for one of the game developers to respond to a thread (in the context of how many forum threads there are). Russell was frank and honest with you. He wasn't perfect, but who judges people for that?
Last edited by SmartX on Feb 28, 2013, 3:11:02 AM
"
natye wrote:

I cannot understand how this is a big deal for anyone, either men or women.

"
natye wrote:
You are preaching false equivalencies. A shirtless man is not the same as a shirtless woman - just ask the FCC.

OH NO YOU DIDN'T
Right here I lost it.

>false equivalencies
>shirtless man not the same
>as shirtless woman

Who is preaching false equivalencies? You either want gender equality or you don't. You either give women special treatment or you treat everyone equal.

and fyi, the girls at the life and manaorb are not shirtless (at least you cannot see nipples)
Also nudity isn't something to be ashamed. Go to south america or africa into a tribe and you will see, people there run around naked, both male and female and no one is complaining.

"
Rape and sexual violence is rare for men to experience, but endemic among women. When a woman sees this, it's a threat.

A) Not inherently true.
1) because males get raped too (by other males, and sometimes by women,or sexually harrassed)
2) Women do not have a penis to rape someone with, so it's anatomically harder for them, but they also would if they could. (not saying that every women, but some, just as some males are doing it)
B) Bringing up rape is almost a Godwin's law, but for rape. Everytime there is just the slightest offensive thing towards women, people are acting as if it was the worst thing ever.
No one is complaining about the guys in Lunaris temple that got horribly transmorphed, by a woman.
No guy is complaining about it in the forums. And you know why? Because it's a game and people aren't bitches about things in games. which comes to:

"

Yeah because every women has the imminent fear of being put in shackles and made into a sex slave by Jabba the Hood...
Really get a grip of reality. As long as you don't live in Saudi Arabia or Pakistan or some other shit hole, you shouldn't complain about things that are not reality.
Women in the first world are giving privileges far easier than men are.

If you don't live in Israel, you don't have to go to the military and die in some shitty war.
If you getting a divorce, you are more likely to keep the kids (with you I mean women).
If you are under sexual assault you are easily helped and supported, while if you are a man you are ridiculed by others.
Also don't forget Male disposability
I could probably put in a huge list here, but I have to go to work soon, so I make it quick.

"

It's up to you to get your idiotic bullshit out of the forums and this game, or worth risking being ridiculed and flamed by everyone else with your feminist BULLSHIT.

God damn it, how fucking retarded can you get over a picture like this...

Last edited by KenshiD on Feb 28, 2013, 2:24:45 AM
Thanks OP! I play HC and spend so much time concentrating on the contents of the bulbs, I hadn't taken the time to smell the roses, so to speak! Downside is i'll probably die now while checking out the artwork.

I've never payed attention to the ui like that really, I cant believe there is actually people fighting over it lol, I mean it's not like I see a boob or something, but if you find it offensive I respect that... Just my opinion: if I find a game really offensive, I just don't play it and that's it, but whatever suits you

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info