Solo Self-Found Manmode 1 Week Race (March 3rd Event)

"
kenelee wrote:

Sorry my mistake.

But I still feel that kiting packs and using mid ranged attacks is not melee. If these skills were so that a melee strike 'ignited' their secondary cone AoE then fair enough but they are not designed that way.

Using these said skills from a medium range - outside of melee - for me is defeating the purpose of seeing where melee is at.

They require Melee weapons for the skill to function. As far as I'm concerned, and how everybody should be concerned is that a Melee character is defined by a character that uses a Melee weapon, and the skills follow not "only use skills that require you to stand next to an enemy."

I myself am bothered that people complain about how badly Melee is doing compared to Melee but then turn around and say that certain abilities for Melee characters are not "true melee", thus handicapping them further pointlessly. It's a scrub mindset, IMO.
I don't like the multiboxing part and I will now begin a long rambling monologue about a system to make multiboxing unnecessary and how that system could be implemented and what it's applications could be. In a race, I feel you should only be allowed to have one character alive in it and when it dies the stash dies with it.

Any league that focuses on specific parts of the game, such as melee only, will have a bit of trouble with the quest rewards as they are in the base game. For specific types of gameplay races I feel it would be better if the quests rewards are in the form of six reward options, one for each class so you can choose any gem that quest gives for any class but ofcourse only one. Example, now it's "Brutus Reward", that would become "Brutus Reward (Ranger), Brutus Reward (Witch), Brutus Reward (Templar),...". So six options in Tarkleigh's menu instead of one. Ideally, the nonlegal gems for that mode would be greyed out and unselectable. If all the reward choices are avaible it would also allow a lot more diversity in Class specific races making them an implementable type as well. What would also be possible but probably a lot more limited in playstyle is statspecific types. Such as strength only. The other stats can be increased, so you can take the nodes if needed but like resistances they're capped at a certain amount. That could be either a % of the main stat or the starter amount depending on how hard enforcing a stat breaks the game.

So all in all, I think a 'choose from all the rewards' option for leaguemaking would facilitate the implementation of about 12 different league modifiers. (Melee, Ranged, Spells, Witch, Templar,...,Shadow, Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence) All of these have the added bonus of allowing the developers to test how everything balances against eachother. For extra league diversity, the 'choose from all the rewards' could be different modifier then the twelve that it facilities just so that people who don't like that can run Melee leagues where you only have the Rewards of your class if they so wish. Maybe even some weird leagues such as 'Marauder, Rewards (Shadow), Rewards (Ranger)' in which everyone is a marauder but the only quest rewards avaible are the Shadow and Ranger ones.

Last edited by botobeno on Feb 25, 2013, 9:40:50 PM
"
So what are the prizes? If there are no prizes, there is no point in participating.

Yeah. I also had fun once, and agree that it was awful.
Volcano, please dont think I am picking fights. I respect your opinion.

That Said.

I disagree.

What defines being melee for me if the actual physical connection between your melee weapon and the bad guys face. Note: Physical connection.

Freezing pulse can be equipped in a 2h Axe and cast at range. How is different from ground slam except the obvious gem tooltip? The fact that it says melee on the gem doesnt make it melee. Or that fact that the gem requires a melee weapon doesnt make it melee either. Ground Slam is a medium ranged cone AoE.
"
How is different from ground slam except the obvious gem tooltip?
Skills like Ground Slam depend on the weapon itself for the basis of its damage and other properties that may apply, while Freezing Pulse is a self-contained spell that is cast from the character's hands (the weapon is completely irrelevant other than properties that help spells such as Increased Spell Damage %) and is not modified by the weapon's base properties itself, but mainly through global modifiers (that may be rolled on equipment or through passives) and whatever support gems are attached.

Besides the technical differences: Ground Slam is Melee, deal with it and love to use it. It is there for melee characters to use.

EDIT: Despite all of what I am saying, if Kripp does end up thinking that the ranged aspect is not in the spirit of the challenge, he can ban it, though I don't think it would make for a good test of melee capabilities since a lot of melee builds use Ground Slam. I am just arguing in general since I've seen people write off the ability because of its playstyle before this thread existed.
Last edited by VolcanoElixir on Feb 25, 2013, 11:27:23 PM
I got a build in mind already, but not gonna share it just yet! :D Sadly tho i dont have nearly as much time as others to play so i dont expect to be superhigh level by the end.
got my char name ^_^

StrikerSMASH

should be fun
^_^ You will hate me and I am okay with that ^_^
@EnlightenD
"
nepharis wrote:
"
So what are the prizes? If there are no prizes, there is no point in participating.
Yeah. I also had fun once, and agree that it was awful.

hahaha

This is a great idea, I hope some good data comes out of it.
On the Melee vs Pseudo Ranged aspect, while I don't complete disagree, you also have to remember that AoE wise, the only melee AoE that is actually melee range is Infernal Blow. Cleave, Whirling Blades, Ground Slam, Sweep and Lightning Strike are all a decent bit larger than melee attack range with Lightning Strike hitting the furthest and Sweep/Cleave the shortest. But if you've played Cleave or Sweep before, you know you can hit mobs way before they can hit you using these, so they're not really "melee" either. Now you can single target everything or only use infernal blow, which is a terrible aoe, but unless you ban every other aoe you're going to have to deal with the fact melees tend to do pseudo ranged attacks quite a bit.
The use of molten shell is quite useful for mitigation, but linked with iron will, it becomes more of a spell aoe monster; I think that the use of molten shell should be allowed as long as it isn't linked with iron will.
Last edited by Foxtel on Feb 26, 2013, 3:03:39 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info