What's The Point Of Playing Hardcore?

"
I agree with you,hc penalty should be somehow less since there is so many unexpected thinggs can happen,especially if you dont have decent pc,but since with 3.0 leveling will be less boring i can see hc more viable,we will see!

HC is and should always be: one life, one chance. Plenty of other game modes if that doesn't suit your needs.
Leveling a character to 90 (for the achievement) in HC was the most miserable time I've had in PoE.

1. The economy sucked. Compared to Legacy league, HC Legacy had 1/5 of the items my build used. Felt like a graveyard.

2. Playing safe was not fun for me. In softcore, I run whatever map I want (within reason) without the constant fear of ripping. Losing all that xp hurts yes, but it's fair punishment IMO.
Losing your character with all the min-maxed gear you managed to buy despite the almost dead economy and the afkers/flippers (which is worse in HC from my experience), is not what I consider to be a good time spent.

I lost my first character who had insane defenses (stun, shock, ignite immune), in Caer Blaidd's last boss at lvl 85. He died in under 1 sec from what I assume was too much cold or lightning damage taken. I've never ever ripped to the same boss in SC, with much less defensive toons.
After that rip, I never touched rare+unique maps with my next toon "just to be safe" and while it worked and got me to lvl 90 (very, very slowly), I missed 80% of the endgame content, didn't even do Uber lab.

So yeah all that "you learn to be a better player in HC" is pure BS. If the universe wants you to die, you will die, no matter how "good" you think you are and you won't have a clue what killed you (no combat log).

At least in SC you can practice and try new things without having to start all over again every time you make a mistake, or take a BS death to the face.

The only ones who are justifiable to play HC IMO are streamers, because a death provides high entertainment value. As for the rest, I can only assume:
a) People with a lot of time in their hands.
b) People who don't care much about the game and are only here to kill a dozen of hours.
c) Masochists.
d) E-Peen try-hards who feel they've done something important by playing HC, which is to the very least laughable when legit ways to level super safely exist and even death cheating "tools".

Oh, boys. It's all about how you enjoy playing the game.

If the appeal of HC is lost on you, just play regular legacy. Nobody whose opinion matters will hold it against you. For me, personally, the game loses all interest in non-hc leagues. For other people, trading ruins immersion, so they play a different kind of challenge league - solo self found. For me that's not appealing, so I'll give that one a pass.

I don't understand why certain non-hc players in this topic resent hc players. Actually, I might have an idea. But it'd be cool if some of you could explain as if I had asked, why?

Plenty of others have attempted to actually answer the OP's question, and plenty in turn have come to marginalize those justifications. So I'll just skip that part.

Happy weekend...

Let a man walk alone -
Let him commit no sin.
Let him bear few wishes,
Like an elephant in the forest.
Last edited by Zakaluka on May 27, 2017, 1:04:00 AM
for me it's the ultimate journey that the character(me) gets, everything is more.

BR,
softcore noob
d:-D*
Last edited by PyleWarlord on May 27, 2017, 3:26:39 AM
game has gotten too easy for veteran/skilled players so at least hc provides some sort of challenge
I'm a softcore player and I find it funny that it's almost always SC players trying to attack HC players, seldom the other way around.

"What's the point of playing softcore?"
"What's the point of playing hardcore?"
"What's the point of playing PoE?"
"What's the point of browsing forums?"

Very useful threads.
Full of insight and wisdom.
"
I agree with you,hc penalty should be somehow less since there is so many unexpected thinggs can happen,especially if you dont have decent pc,but since with 3.0 leveling will be less boring i can see hc more viable,we will see!

LOL no. HC means one life to live period and why guys like it.

If anything SC needs more penalty. Like lose a whole level on death so we feel some of that without wasting 40-100 hrs of our life like HC

Actually I wish they had 3 mods cause ppl hate death panalty too

1. Kitty Mode no penalty
2. SC lose level on death
3. HC perma death no std move
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on May 27, 2017, 6:07:15 AM
Point of playing HC is to have efficient bowel movements. ;p

All that butt clenching helps you play the backend game efficiently.

Plus if you fuck up and don't reach the throne in time you will see why people wearing extra gore items lag to death in hc sometimes ;P

Joke aside people play hc 'cause every adrenaline rush counts. And most people don't get those outside of the game.

As op already knows I have 4 deaths on my belt this league in hc. Yet I keep rerolling.
Had the achievements unlocked from previous leagues but once I got my 36 I didn't care for sc anymore and switching to hc was the only way to keep playing PoE till 3.0.

And before anyone points out there's other games beside PoE. I don't care ;P
"

OMG what is with this guy? He joined only half a month ago and with three professional posts showing that he is a returning player and now he is already banned?
"
Vasilas wrote:
Leveling a character to 90 (for the achievement) in HC was the most miserable time I've had in PoE.

1. The economy sucked. Compared to Legacy league, HC Legacy had 1/5 of the items my build used. Felt like a graveyard.

2. Playing safe was not fun for me. In softcore, I run whatever map I want (within reason) without the constant fear of ripping. Losing all that xp hurts yes, but it's fair punishment IMO.
Losing your character with all the min-maxed gear you managed to buy despite the almost dead economy and the afkers/flippers (which is worse in HC from my experience), is not what I consider to be a good time spent.

I lost my first character who had insane defenses (stun, shock, ignite immune), in Caer Blaidd's last boss at lvl 85. He died in under 1 sec from what I assume was too much cold or lightning damage taken. I've never ever ripped to the same boss in SC, with much less defensive toons.
After that rip, I never touched rare+unique maps with my next toon "just to be safe" and while it worked and got me to lvl 90 (very, very slowly), I missed 80% of the endgame content, didn't even do Uber lab.

So yeah all that "you learn to be a better player in HC" is pure BS. If the universe wants you to die, you will die, no matter how "good" you think you are and you won't have a clue what killed you (no combat log).

At least in SC you can practice and try new things without having to start all over again every time you make a mistake, or take a BS death to the face.

The only ones who are justifiable to play HC IMO are streamers, because a death provides high entertainment value. As for the rest, I can only assume:
a) People with a lot of time in their hands.
b) People who don't care much about the game and are only here to kill a dozen of hours.
c) Masochists.
d) E-Peen try-hards who feel they've done something important by playing HC, which is to the very least laughable when legit ways to level super safely exist and even death cheating "tools".

Agreed.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info