What's The Point Of Playing Hardcore?

"
seanxjohnson wrote:
I tried HC briefly, and really enjoyed the thrill of all the critical thinking that goes into keeping your character alive. Eventually you'll hit a wall though and can't do end game content. If you're okay with never doing Guardians, Shaper, and Uber Atziri (sans the builds who can do a portion, i.e. animate weapon with uber atziri and few people with the dexterity to do all 6) then HC is great. I for one love doing the end game, so SC is the better alternative.

It's worth mentioning that SSF SC is an excellent middle ground. You get the critical thinking of the game (crafting, resource management, gear management for different areas/map mods) while still being able to do end game. Not to mention the end game is even more so challenging since you're working with subpar gear.

In the end you have multiple ways to play the game, which is so great and I wish more games adopted this mentality.

I never thought of SC SSF being a good middle ground. You're right.
"
I tried SSF HC this time because I wanted to see if i can make it to endgame without being carried by players or gear. It makes 1 Alch drops feel more valuable than an Exalt, it´s kinda cool.
Changes a lot of things perspective wise. Before I never used to spend Chaos on Zana Mods or
plainly re-rolling Maps, now that i don´t have that super expensive item to save up for,
I can spend Chaos how i want. That was also a nice experience for me.
The whole HC vs SC argument is kinda stale. People do what they enjoy.
You can´t force people to accept your worldview, or convince them that they are wrong about what they like. That will never work. I have never considered myself a better player than SC players
just because I play HC only. And now that i play SSF HC i don´t consider myself a better player than HC players. The adrenaline rush, and the feeling of being completely self sustained, is what intrigues me about SSF HC right now. This is how i choose to enjoy the game. If your question is, what the point of all that is, I would reply with: The point of the game is to enjoy it in ways you see fit.
Period.

Fair enough. I just don't find it fun to keep rerolling characters but it seems many HC players don't mind and may even look forward to it.
"
Graiseperiod wrote:
Tried playing SC and found it boring. No fear of death, so the game is just grinding to 100. Economy sucks, every idiot has perfect gear cuz they can just play for an infinite amount of time and never lose anything.

Overall, just no thrill involved, so the game quickly becomes boring.

Constant rerolling isn't boring?
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
SC is harder than HC because you run harder maps. Go watch HC streams they run Strands all day and rerolls of them even just to be safe. Exercise in tedium not hardness. I like SC because I can roll maps they put me near death experience like reflects and added damage, do all maps and mods, and make gameplay exciting. Nothing exciting about HC playing it safe.

Thats said I don't bash HC players playing it safe like old ladies. Different strokes.

True.
"
k1rage wrote:
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
SC is harder than HC because you run harder maps. Go watch HC streams they run Strands all day and rerolls of them even just to be safe. Exercise in tedium not hardness. I like SC because I can roll maps they put me near death experience like reflects and added damage, do all maps and mods, and make gameplay exciting. Nothing exciting about HC playing it safe.

Thats said I don't bash HC players playing it safe like old ladies. Different strokes.

that doesn't make SC harder lol

basically you just said SC gives your more room for error

SC playing harder monster and mods is harder gameplay. playing HC is tedious boring gameplay.

HC are so afraid of "error" the run easy lake till 80 and Strand into the 90s and 100 even they intentionally make gameplay easy.

like i said different strokes
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on May 26, 2017, 4:08:24 PM
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
"
k1rage wrote:
"
Aim_Deep wrote:

that doesn't make SC harder lol

basically you just said SC gives your more room for error

SC playing harder monster and mods is harder gameplay. playing HC is tedious boring gameplay.

HC are so afraid of "error" the run easy lake till 80 and Strand into the 90s and 100 even they intentionally make gameplay easy.

like i said different strokes

its not hard if you can just bash your head against it till it falls over lol

the monster is indeed more powerful but defeating it is easier as you are immortal and get unlimited attempts

its much harder to do something with only one try
I dont see any any key!
6 portal is not unlimited. Or 1 of lab. it's all how you play. You can build for zero deaths if you want and still have that fun of running all maps and mods. You can actually play HC in SC if you want but your ego needs props.

Anyway whatever makes you happy it's a game supposed to be fun. I always like being near death experience but not dead but every now and again. Thats why D3 original inferno was my favorite ARPG game. Few could even do it and any mode let alone hc. This game is already boring AF 99% of the time. I wont play HC and take that last 1% away. TYVM.

Well unless they offer differnt MTX again thats only time I played it.

Best MTX is free MTX

Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on May 26, 2017, 4:17:11 PM
This thread got to 6 pages. Lol. How fun is it to debate what isnt fun to you is fun to someone else? Some people prefer vanilla and others prefer chocolate. Lets argue why vanilla is better.
"
"
pichapie wrote:
take away alt-F4 and HC will cease to exist.

I'd love to know if a single HC player exists who has never used alt+F4. Please comment if you exist! By the way, I notice your character is Level 98 in Standard. Did it die in HC? Awesome that you made it to 98 if it did - awesome that you made it to 98 anyway ;)

I've never used chicken script. And never played cautious alc and go usually. Which is why 89 was my highest. Even if you do networks can kill you more than monster.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on May 26, 2017, 4:27:34 PM
It's a wide spread myth that all HC players run easy maps, skip bosses, and use macros on a regular basis. Though, such players surely exist.

HC gameplay doesn't differ by a lot from SC. The major differences are not gameplay related: the builds (with emphasis on defenses), the approach to the hard encounters (taking additional precautions in advance), the overall progression (slower, no rush), precise risk assessment (but still taking the risks, unless certain death traps).

On a side note, those who chain shaped strands (or whichever linear tileset with easy boss and mobs), are usually those who aim for 100. Such people don't represent the typical HC player.
This is a buff © 2016

The Experts ™ 2017
Last edited by torturo on May 26, 2017, 5:40:43 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info