What's The Point Of Playing Hardcore?

"
FrancescoV wrote:
I'm another one. SSF only. Level 90 is the farthest I've got during this League, than I ripped because I started to be over confident with my char, I think it was a tier 13 map.
I play hardcore because I like the challenge and the thrill it gives, sometimes it can be very frustrating... but I just could not play without the adrenaline of hardcore.

Good job! I admit an adrenaline rush from HC is like no other. Haha.
Last edited by Daniel_Pereira on May 26, 2017, 6:02:33 AM
Hardcore is appealing because it makes stakes higher, and the game becomes much more intense - more adrenaline, and sometimes you can really get the sense of rush. You often ask yourself - can I make it? Can I take this boss down? Almost all encounters start to matter much more that they do in SC. When I began playing this game in 2013, I only played HC characters, because playing SC felt pale and boring by comparison.

HOWEVER, nowadays I would not play HC, at least not consistently. Why? Because after sometime (and dying in other games with HC to ABSOLUTE bullsh*t like instagibbing on spawn due to a game bug) I realized one thing - playing HC in Online Only games is just being disrespectful to your own time. It is absolutely pointless and extremely frustrating. It is one thing to lose a character to an epic boss fight - might be upsetting, but at least it is a memory, an experience that you can go back to. It is another thing to enter a location, dc and then log back to standard because apparently while you were dc, you character stayed idle in the game and got swarmed by monsters.

I unfortunately cannot link it so don't take my word for it, but I believe GGG once released statistics regarding what killed off most people in HC. MAJORITY of players died to lag/connection issues. Does that sound like fun to you? I personally put up with enough bullsh*t in SC due to connection issues/instance stability (the later being 100% on the GGG side) to justify playing HC where all these issue become much worse. Unless of course, you are a streamer and you want to play HC to entertain twitch audience, or you want to scale ladder while having smaller competition, or you want the bragging rights, in which case, sure, there are many ways to cheese hc (piggybacking, running same safe maps all the time, alt f4 etc.) For some people, that is a valid way of playing the game, all the power to them. For me? A COMPLETE waste of time.
Last edited by MECHanokl on May 26, 2017, 6:19:36 AM
and the circle jerking begins.

remove alt+f4 from hc and it will cease to exist
"
MECHanokl wrote:
Hardcore is appealing because it makes stakes higher, and the game becomes much more intense - more adrenaline, and sometimes you can really get the sense of rush. You often ask yourself - can I make it? Can I take this boss down? Almost all encounters start to matter much more that they do in SC. When I began playing this game in 2013, I only played HC characters, because playing SC felt pale and boring by comparison.

HOWEVER, nowadays I would not play HC, at least not consistently. Why? Because after sometime (and dying in other games with HC to ABSOLUTE bullsh*t like instagibbing on spawn due to a game bug) I realized one thing - playing HC in Online Only games is just being disrespectful to your own time. It is absolutely pointless and extremely frustrating. It is one thing to lose a character to an epic boss fight - might be upsetting, but at least it is a memory, an experience that you can go back to. It is another thing to enter a location, dc and then log back to standard because apparently while you were dc, you character stayed idle in the game and got swarmed by monsters.

I unfortunately cannot link it so don't take my word for it, but I believe GGG once released statistics regarding what killed off most people in HC. MAJORITY of players died to lag/connection issues. Does that sound like fun to you? I personally put up with enough bullsh*t in SC due to connection issues/instance stability (the later being 100% on the GGG side) to justify playing HC where all these issue become much worse. Unless of course, you are a streamer and you want to play HC to entertain twitch audience, or you want to scale ladder while having smaller competition, or you want the bragging rights, in which case, sure, there are many ways to cheese hc (piggybacking, running same safe maps all the time, alt f4 etc.) For some people, that is a valid way of playing the game, all the power to them. For me? A COMPLETE waste of time.

Very well put.
I only played HC until they added the lab. Lab ruined it for me. Lost three characters in a row to it and felt like I had been cheated.
"
"
pichapie wrote:
take away alt-F4 and HC will cease to exist.

I'd love to know if a single HC player exists who has never used alt+F4. Please comment if you exist! By the way, I notice your character is Level 98 in Standard. Did it die in HC? Awesome that you made it to 98 if it did - awesome that you made it to 98 anyway ;)

It's possible to reach level 98+ in HC by chaining easy shaped strand maps. It's in fact much harder to reach level 98 in SC like I do in Softcore by playing only t15 corrupted maps, whatever the mods.

So HC means nothing in terms of difficulty/achievements. It's just for self-satisfaction but doesn't prove anything.

Just want to mention that I have reached 90+ in HC for the official achievement, but died several times before that, mostly due to lag spikes (strongbox opening). That's why I'll never play HC again.

One last argument : I'm currently 96 in SC and leveling is such a pain that dying in SC at this level is very, very undesirable. But I refuse to chain strand maps to level, it just brings all the fun away. Don't die in HC, don't die in SC after 95 too.
My first build in this game was created 6 years ago. I leveled to 30-something, got bored and quit. I returned a few years later, in 2014. I've played my fair share of softcore characters, and it was great fun for a while, but it became boring at some point. I still roll SC sometimes, mostly to research a new league, but I'm bored out of mind in 3 days to 2 weeks tops.

HC is more challenging. My heart beats when the going gets tough. I have to juggle between offense and defense, risk and reward, and level and items are meaningful. I get a sense of accomplishment when I achieve something - I don't get that in SC. Playing in HC is great fun. It's interesting. I love it. I simply can't play SC for longer periods of time.

I also typically grow bored of almost all builds by the time they reach level 90. In SC, I reroll. In HC, I usually die. I stop paying attention, I become more risk-prone, I try RIP bosses, I run RIP maps, sooner or later it happens, but I don't mind. I actually enjoy the opportunity to roll a new build. I always have at least a few build ideas brewing.

In the end, the point of playing HC is that I enjoy it immensely, and I don't enjoy SC that much. That's it. If you personally don't enjoy HC, that's perfectly fine too - no one is forcing you to play there.

p.s. I've never used logout macro and I use alt+f4 almost exclusively when I get a game crash, and that's for purely practical reasons: in most situations, hitting the instant flasks and moving away is more likely to save your ass than alt+f4.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on May 26, 2017, 7:14:07 AM
I just started HC and the only difference is some spikes in your heartrate at times ;).
After a handful of SC Chars i need some fresh ambient and HC is a nice mix to the game, at
least when u can take lag spike or dc deaths.

I probably will stick mostly to sc ssf because one big hurdle is enough with the time i can spend on the game. Everyone should just play what is satisfying for him and not listen to the elite blah blah.

Ah..i never use log out macro, alt+f4 or even a portal. I would like GGG would insert some skills to help to survive like in D3 and cut those macros portals etc.
Last edited by Sougaiki on May 26, 2017, 7:17:16 AM
To brag how much better they are but they don't tell you they take 0 risks
The amount of salt towards HC players is, as always, amusing.

The fact that there are 181 people in the entire world with level 100 in HC Legacy after three months of the league should be indicative enough of how easy it is, regardless of the nature of the challenge.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info