What's The Point Of Playing Hardcore?

Personally, I find softcore to feel like playing on a godmode private server. It's fun for a little bit, but then the game is easily completed and it feels boring. The BS deaths in HC really upset me, but I still have more fun in HC than I ever would playing softcore. If there was a way to keep a death penalty that kept the economy alive in softcore, I would love it, but as it is I'd rather get frustrated with 1-shot rerolls than finish a league in a week with no content left to push for.
"
Owlert wrote:
Personally, I find softcore to feel like playing on a godmode private server. It's fun for a little bit, but then the game is easily completed and it feels boring. The BS deaths in HC really upset me, but I still have more fun in HC than I ever would playing softcore. If there was a way to keep a death penalty that kept the economy alive in softcore, I would love it, but as it is I'd rather get frustrated with 1-shot rerolls than finish a league in a week with no content left to push for.

Fair enough. I'm just sick of restarting the whole game. I guess some people like restarting which I had not realized.
"
Cataca wrote:
"
Skellimancer wrote:
"
sarahaustin wrote:

What does others using alt f4 macros have anything to do with your choice to play HC?

because its basically cheating.

No, it isnt.

A much better question is, what the hell is the point of this thread?

There are now 11 pages of Softcore players telling hardcore players that their league isnt hardcore enough for it to count as an achievement, and hardcore players comparing dick sizes.

Drop it people. It is a game.

Play softcore if you feel like it, play HC if it is more fun to you. It is like sexual orientation, a question of taste. Game-mode bigotry is about the dumbest concept this community has come up with yet.

So knock it off, seriously. You are all making asses out of yourself.

You're right. alt+F4 is not cheating. The thread you linked shows Chris wants Alt+F4 to be part of HC which to be honest, is disgusting. I'd rather have slightly 'dumbed down' monsters than impossible monsters that REQUIRE alt+F4. What kind of game is that? That's why I'm just going to stick to SC. I don't want to use alt+F4. That is not something a game should rely on.
"
"
Owlert wrote:

Fair enough. I'm just sick of restarting the whole game. I guess some people like restarting which I had not realized.

I always save important leveling items and have a reserve currency for rerolling so it's never (aside from league starts) as drastic as starting fresh, but I absolutely hate the leveling process. It's always hard for me to start playing again after a death because of how boring the first 10 hours are. As much hate as D3 gets, adventure mode is the biggest reason I played RoS in HC for so long, simply because the gameplay during the reroll process was similar enough to the endgame that I didn't mind it. I don't understand why it's so widely accepted in gaming that the leveling process, usually a glorified tutorial, is so different gameplay-wise than the endgame where players spend most of their time. Unfortunately, I don't think 3.0 is going to help enough. Not redoing the same act in the same playthrough is nice, but 10 acts (maybe less depending on where the map device is) is still a lot to slog through.

With regards to alt+f4, it's not like some developers dream of a game with instant logout when envisioning their game. The nature of online games is that there is a lot of connection instability, both server and client sided. With that, the decision to allow instant logouts stems from the opinion that it's better to have alt+f4 exist and to potentially cheapen the experience than to kill players any time they, or the server, lag out. I have a stable connection, so I didn't ever experience that with D3 HC, but other games like Realm of the Mad God embraced the feature by having an in-game button port you to safety and there are no complaints. Maybe if GGG built in the feature to the core game rather than most players hacking together an AHK solution, people would accept it more.
"
I don't want to use alt+F4.

You don't have to use Alt-F4. It is your choice.

Also why don't you use Alt-F4 in softcore? You have chosen not to.
Played HC for a while. Then the game shifted towards more one-shots and overall clusterfuck. Not to mention there is very little point in playing some types of builds, since it will net you a fast one-shot due to various dumb mechanics. Used to be exciting to me, now have shifted towards frustration.
One can only hope that GGG will manage to resolve some of these with 3.0. :V I'd gladly come back to HC.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
Last edited by Perq on May 29, 2017, 1:15:50 AM
"
SodanKerjuu wrote:
"

Using alt f4 when you're having connection problems is legit but most of the time HC use it to avoid death. Why don't you just play sc if you going to be a pussy on dying
"
beritraz wrote:

Using alt f4 when you're having connection problems is legit but most of the time HC use it to avoid death. Why don't you just play sc if you going to be a pussy on dying

Citation needed.
Account inactive since Tencent majority share acquisition.
"
beritraz wrote:
"
SodanKerjuu wrote:
"

I do play softcore.

Just puzzling about why most complain about an option they don't like to exist.
They can opt out of using it.
Once again the thread turned to altf4 shitfest. Got to repeat - not every hc player takes advantage of it, it's exploited by sc players as well, in majority of cases logout doesn't help at the slightest. Even the opposite - it may kill you instead, leaving you no room for more reasonable reactions.

Everyone should play whatever he wants no questions asked.
But inferiority complex of sc mob is so strong it's not even funny.
This is a buff © 2016

The Experts ™ 2017

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info