Chris: ALT-F4 LEGIT STRAT

"
Melkrow wrote:
Known fact.

Good system.

This.
Maybe my explanation in the Raptr Q&A isn't optimal (I answered over 100 questions rapidly), but I stand by our reasoning that causes us to allow people to drop instantly.

We want our fights to have large swings of damage and to cause a rush of adrenaline in the player. If the game didn't allow you to drop instantly then we'd have to dumb down the fights so much. We've tried it.

In addition, it means that we're able to make hard boss fights that players can attrition if they choose to. If we had to design the act bosses so that players needed to kill them in one go without dying then they would be pushovers.

We have said this multiple times on the forum and in interviews before (as well as implementing the game to be that way) - our stance shouldn't be a surprise!
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
It's not that we're actively attempting to make fights where we want people to alt-f4, it's that when faced with the choice of:
  • Disable it and put a timer on exit
  • Allow it, which means we have to be able to justify it

We vastly prefer the second option because it leads to fights that are honestly a whole lot more fun (for us, at least).

Maybe the best solution would be to avoid this type of question, but I am trying to answer honestly!
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
Even when I Alt+F4 out of the game to save myself, there's a huge rush of adrenalin when I survive with very low health, which is what (I think?) the explanation refers to!
I played hardcore d2 for many years. I pressed alt-F4 once every few days on average. I cannot imagine an Action RPG design where it's blocked. We discussed this heavily when designing PoE. I'd love to find a solution (because I agree it's bad in principle), but being able to "Nope" out of situations drastically changes a lot about the game.
"
Also, I should add that the adrenaline rush of alt+f4ing out of the game at hardly any life and surviving feels like an artificial high to me. It isn't the true adrenaline you'd get from a well designed boss encounter. It is a fraud.

I would say that it's a matter of opinion and you should avoid stating such as if it is fact. If you feel it is an artificial high and a fraud, all the power to you. That does not mean others feel the same way. Personally I've never liked the so-called "well designed" boss encounters many MMORPGs boast about and much prefer this system. I've done it in D2 for years and came into this game expecting to be able to do the same here, and PoE did not disappoint.

EDIT : Wow Chris ninja'd me with a D2 reference too!
Last edited by Hrishi on Oct 10, 2013, 12:22:05 AM
"
Also, at Hrishi: I am not stating anything I've said as fact. These are all my opinions only. If it comes out of my mouth on a thread about balance in some fashion, it is likely an opinion.

Fair enough, the way you posted it made me take it the wrong way, so I apologize!

On topic, I hate how certain games "lock" you into encounters. I've always preferred being able to freely enter and exit them (through portals for example). So I'm glad you are able to do that here.
Last edited by Hrishi on Oct 10, 2013, 12:37:13 AM
It should be noted that the guys who actually do the balance (Carl, Rory, Mark2) don't necessarily play the same way I do. It's just that when the founders were deciding whether we should allow instant exit, we decided for it because we think it leads to a better game.
Please refrain from insulting or antagonizing other players, further posts of this nature will be removed and the account in question placed on probation.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info