What is Desync? (A thorough explanation)

30 minutes ago I lost 30% of XP at level 84, because of 2 desync. I escape with Whirling Blades and when I'm in safe place my character is teleported back in mobs room. Is this instantaneous feedback?? That happen a lot with Whirling Blades.

Why is this the client who synchronize his player position from the server, and not the server who synchronize his positions from the clients??

Players shouldn't loose any XP if they die, for example, less than 5 seconds after a synchronization. that ruin the game. I'm really thinking about stop to play.

About 8 hours of XP lost in few minutes. I want GGG give me back my XP, otherwise I will never give one more dollar for PoE.
Waiting...
Last edited by Begin2013 on Apr 22, 2013, 7:37:57 PM
Let me sum up the solution to dealing with dyssync:
Go pure tank.
aka

Sacrifice fun ):
(:
The biggest issue I see with desync is that it is generating scores of players using armies of summoned mobs and / or totems. The players retain a safe distance from most mobs at all times and just stand around and let their summoned constructs take and deal all the damage. If things start to go awry it is easy to see it coming and they can perform a quick disconnect to save face.

Behind those most popular specs are ranged attackers like bow duelists and rangers. Unlike those above, they themselves have to deal the damage directly to the mobs, and they don't have PC generated shields to absorb damage for them, but they can kite fairly efficiently and once again, if things go awry they can disconnect to save face.

Desync hurts melee the most, especially close up heavy hitter builds such as leap / cyclone / multistrike. These guys dive right into the heart of a dozen or more mobs and start going to town on them. Within seconds desync issues cause the locations of the mobs vs. the player to be out of whack. The client still makes the sounds of the attacks hitting the mobs and the mobs are still clustered around the player, but they take no damage due to desync. Suddenly the player and a bunch of mobs rubber band! Sometimes the mobs die, sometimes the player dies. It just becomes frustrating!

So the gist of the current model is this: If a player wants to make it anywhere in this game they have to at least roll a ranged character. For the best chance of total progression they have to create a character with totems and / or minions. Anyone playing melee has to be very dedicated, because it is a long and frustrating road filled with constant desync and death.
"Though evil endures, and legends don't die, the hero exists in a blink of time's eye"
I have experienced desync problems especially in SEASON 2 RACE EVENTS - BRUTUS FIGHTS

Problem is I die as being one of the top 25 in ladder and I am really getting bored of it.

Do you guys have any feedbacks or tactics to lower desync at brutus? (like tp in and out or wait 2-3 mins in room etc)
IGN: DrThrum
"
helkirtes wrote:
I have experienced desync problems especially in SEASON 2 RACE EVENTS - BRUTUS FIGHTS

Problem is I die as being one of the top 25 in ladder and I am really getting bored of it.

Do you guys have any feedbacks or tactics to lower desync at brutus? (like tp in and out or wait 2-3 mins in room etc)

I find that brutus desyncs the most when he starts chasing you around the little sections of walls. So to limit my desync from that situation i do one of two things.

1. Control brutus from trying to come around the wall. I do this by throwing a totem into the area he is in, making him focus the totem and not try to come around the wall. This is usually a pretty good way to deal with him, but occasionally he like to be a jerk and not respond the way I want him too.

Which takes us to number 2 option.

2. The shimmy shake in the open area of room trying to bait his chain attack which is easily dodged. And when it does hit, it doesnt usually yank you all the way in if you are on the move. I bait his chain attack, then attack him. It works best with ranged of course, but I have good success as melee doing this as well, he just occasionally wastes a slam attack that really had no chance to hit me, but then he likes to chase you after slam, so you have to work him back into the stand still and try to hit you with chain attack phase.
Hey...is this thing on?
"absolutely every game that is played online has to deal with desync. Every single game without exception"

i call bullshit bro!
Last edited by ChickenFisterJoe on Jun 3, 2013, 6:50:08 AM
Desync can be solved with dedicated servers. It opens up the chance for hacking, but if someone go as far to hack they can also go to private servers aswell so technicly by not doing dedicated servers, offline mode and so on, you gain desync and dont lose the piracy part, since thats always there no matter what.

The game is very good it is a well made "D3" and I don't think they would lose a lot if they do that. The microtransaction could stay. It would be like micro DLC-s for your game to pimp, i dont really see the problem with that, i dont think it would lower sales.

(offtopic starts halfway here)
I love the skeleton skins and looking on the new bug thingie and the footprints aswell they are very good ideas. Alto i am not quite sure about the onslaught mode. It is just like hardcore, if your not there you basicly get a lesser experience of the game. And this experience is tied to a clock. This really ruins it for me. I think rewarding players that reach something at the end of this onslaught mode would be a lot better then giving continous rewards along the way.

For example if you reach merciles and you stop playing when your character gets booted you recive something that you could use in standard hardcore, xp boost maybe or additional dropchance, permenant ofcourse. temporary would have the same effect oh i gotto use it very bad. Or if it would go with played game time than its fine again to be temporary but not date in time.

Additional chance to drop could work too. But exclusive item drops is a nono. If you play all month trough day and night and you dont get that drop, then you just robed the player all his time and didnt reward him. REALLY BAD...
Awesome article. glad you put the time into the explanation. very informative. I noticed this happening with whirling blades a lot too. this still needs some work to hide the desync a little better though.
It is ridiculous how latest patch affected desyncs even more.Yesterday died two in a row with 81 lvl character and four in a row with a weaker 75 lvl melee that I'm trying to give a chance.All deaths caused by severe desync and rubber banding.Just left the game it was unplayable.GGG should repatch to it's previous state,and cut resync,it was hard but almost playable.Now it's not.I still can't understand what these guys are doing-instead of improving an issue,they cause another one,worse than previous.
This is a buff © 2016

The Experts ™ 2017
Last edited by torturo on Jun 17, 2013, 4:49:41 AM
Lost a lvl 37 Ranger yesterday on Desync Kole - Onslaught.

Got Hooked in
Quicksilver and run out
Kole wasn in another room
Got Smashed from nowhere
Heal pot Quicksilver and run out
Kole was in another room
Got Hooked in
Got Smashed
Run away
Got Hit
Dead

To be honest. I think 1/5 or his attacks were legit - rest were desynched.

So sick of this right now, I promised myself to never play the game again until this issue is solved.
Will keep that promise.

Great Game GGG, really. You did wonders with innovative skill system and and items/links.
But your IGNORANCE when it comes to solving desynch, in combination of fine tuning monster/boss powers is just sad. These issues have been serious since OB and still you havent achieved anything at all in solving it.

I dont care if you have to fire a couple employees to afford better servers or if you have to focus programming/debug time on game performance instead of new acts/shop items. Just do it - or you will continue to slowly kill this amazing game.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info