What is Desync? (A thorough explanation)

Then is the question: Why does GGG implement it this way if they are not able to get it workling?

Don't implement things that cant be implemented because of technical restrictions!
"
TinyAngryCrab wrote:
You can see this by trying to avoid a monster that has begun an attack animation against you - the attack will land even if you are relatively far away.

...except that in PoE the same thing happens. Run past any melee mob and it will hit you, regardless of incredibly slow animations and you being in its back already.
"
TinyAngryCrab wrote:
if your client just made it up it would look absurd when it was retconned by the server

...true. Why so subjunctively? This is exactly the situation in poe, all the time. Attacks dealing damage visibly later than the projectile hitting, mobs warping all over the place. Using ground slam, split arrow or just about any aoe spell will randomly miss enemies that are very clearly in the aoe.

Yes, you maybe got used to it already, but what's going on here doesn't make much sense. It's not even a tradeoff, it's just flat out worse what we have here. The game is trying to promote positional play, its cool mob behavior etc., but it's all swamped in "that mob is probably on the other end of the screen. Maybe i'm still there, too, nobody knows".
Last edited by MauranKilom on Jan 11, 2014, 4:18:38 AM
"
Burmeister99 wrote:
Desync is something HC players use as an excuse when they die

lol
My name in-g : Qpaad

Pm me if i win trade, if afk retry again.
Rather new to PoE, but the Desync in Act 3 is really a pain...it's a great game though.

I'm at the end of Act 3 in Cruel with my first Character (Shadow, relying a lot on mobility), yet I don't want to know how many times i was getting trolled thx to the Desync allready (Yeah i checked m/s, that's a constant ~45 Ping, and constant FPS as well). Seems like i gotta fully spec my next character with a safe op build, cause my luck's too low to survive Hc with a mobility Shadow (Especially Melee with Flickering Strike seems to give you a Desync every few times, especially when you have to escape or get some distance with Whirling Blades)

Gotta say I was curious if there was any new information in this thread about possible future solutions besides spamming /oos with a Macro, but it seems like there isn't going to be any way around it (And i sincerely doubt improvements to be coming with the new Update in 10 Days, though I'd hope to see that - Desync's the only downside of this game, there is no other)

Btw, good one OP, you explained Desync quite well and I suppose I'll definetely stop trying to kill >9000 enemies at the same time in HC, when I know I'm not able to finish them off in 1, 2 seconds lol
Your last paragraph is soooooo bad.
"
To combat desyncs, some games choose to use a game architecture that rigidly forces every game state to stay synchronized at all times. Obviously this has the benefit that the different game stats on the various different machines are never out of sync with each other. This has the downside that any action you want to take (pressing a key or clicking your mouse) has to travel to the game server and be confirmed and then that server confirmation needs to travel back to you before you're actually allowed to take that action. If you have very low latency, then you won't notice this delay between you pressing a button and the corresponding action occurring on screen. If it takes half a second between when you press a button and when your character takes an action then you're definitely going to notice.

"
In games like PoE where the action is happening very quickly and the player needs instant feedback, enforcing this rigid synchronization is impossible. The combat would be unresponsive and the game would simply be unplayable. What you need a scheme that allows the player's actions to occur instantaneous on the player's computer and then synchronization occurs after the fact behind the scenes.

Not really asking the OP here, more so the Devs or anyone with the technical knowledge of whether this could be done.

So, you have the two architectural models here, lets call them Confirmation and Correction respectively.

PoE currently uses Correction. The benefit of this is that gameplay is responsive and smooth, the disadvantage is that deviations between truth and façade result in sudden corrections that can be dis-jarring and fatal. Latency isn't really an issue here; it happens based more so on what is going on and pathing issues around lots of objects.

The alternative, Confirmation, has the benefit of always knowing what is truth - but waiting for that truth can feel unresponsive, and a dodgy connection can severely affect gameplay. Latency is the main factor here - have good latency you are fine, otherwise not so much.

Ok, so the OP said the Confirmation model wasn't used because if you have bad latency it would be unplayable - I am not entirely sure constant desync is any better, but I leave this argument for others. What I can say is that for those that do not have bad latency it seems as if the Confirmation model would be quite an improvement.

This brings me to my question; would it be possible to allow any particular user to decide which architectural model they want to play with? I say this with some trepidation, but it could possibly just require players to make the choice in their option panel.

Specific implementation would be beyond my current knowledge - it may be quite impossible, or near enough, for all I know. Of the top of my head, an idea may be for different servers (not leagues; the computing kind) to handle the two different architectural models, and the user's choice determines which server (or group of) is used for modelling their gameplay.

The disadvantage of this may be that group gameplay would need everyone in the group to use the same architectural model. However, town areas would presumably see no change (there is no gameplay in these areas), neither would chat channels - therefore trading should not be affected at all.

There are several advantages to this. First, those that have good latency can make use of that to provide them with a more enjoyable gameplay experience by making the choice to use the Confirmation model. Second, more people understand lag caused by a poor latency than understand why desync is caused; understanding brings sympathy and stifles anger - so giving people a choice to use the Confirmation model may help in that respect alone. Third, those that suffer from poor latency can stick with using the Correction model if they prefer it.
Last edited by Aimeryan on Feb 25, 2014, 9:00:59 AM
Astonish couple of info, ty alot^^
You guys STILL playing this retarded laggy game? rofl

How desperate are you losers exactly?
Im currently playing Ambush league, cruel difficulty, and there is a huge problem with desync, you opens some rare ambush chest, and second later you are instantly dead (not always, but can happen depends of monster type), no matter how HP,armour you have, because you are always freeze for couple of ms when you opens ambush chest, and because of that i died a lot of times, every death is -5% XP,ive probably lost ~2 lvl so far. Do something about that, or at least allow us to opens those chests from a distance, or add some kind of count down, dunno, all i know is that this pisses me off.
Curiosity is followed by ambition, ambition is followed by madness.
"
misticx wrote:
Im currently playing Ambush league, cruel difficulty, and there is a huge problem with desync, you opens some rare ambush chest, and second later you are instantly dead (not always, but can happen depends of monster type), no matter how HP,armour you have, because you are always freeze for couple of ms when you opens ambush chest, and because of that i died a lot of times, every death is -5% XP,ive probably lost ~2 lvl so far. Do something about that, or at least allow us to opens those chests from a distance, or add some kind of count down, dunno, all i know is that this pisses me off.

hey bro , seems like you have issues with lag and not desync , would rekommend to try to lower the settings .

also , wouldnt it be possible to time a lightning warp when opening the chests , i play invasion but to me it seems if you time the lightning warp correctly you should always tp out in time when you open the chest.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info