EDIT: Melee will go extinct before even getting to final 5 Atlas bosses

"
Shagsbeard wrote:
There's a presumption made in this post that's silly. You seem to presume that most players will ever encounter the world bosses. I doubt that more than 5% ever will. Melee is fine. It's fun to play. Quit thinking that you have to be in the top 5% in order for your play to matter.

You realize there is a basic issue with your argument.

On one hand, we have a Fiat and on the other, we have a Porsche. Both are definitely cars, and both will definitely get you to where you need to go, but one will certainly be faster.

In Poe people have the choice to choose either one of those cars, but the Fiat is more expensive, it uses more fuel, its less safe and it is not insured. Why pick the Fiat, which is objectively the worse car?

In a game where the most commonly used mechanic to make bosses more interesting are telegraphed PBAOE attacks, Damaging areas that force you to move away from a boss or relocate, melees are already in at a conceivable disadvantage. It makes no sense to give them worse base capabilities than ranged builds.
I think a good and easy fix would be to have melee skills apply fortify for free(no gem needed) on use. Maybe convert the fortify gem to a more modifier for fortify effect.
"
Cataca wrote:
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
There's a presumption made in this post that's silly. You seem to presume that most players will ever encounter the world bosses. I doubt that more than 5% ever will. Melee is fine. It's fun to play. Quit thinking that you have to be in the top 5% in order for your play to matter.

On one hand, we have a Fiat and on the other, we have a Porsche. Both are definitely cars, and both will definitely get you to where you need to go, but one will certainly be faster.

In Poe people have the choice to choose either one of those cars, but the Fiat is more expensive, it uses more fuel, its less safe and it is not insured. Why pick the Fiat, which is objectively the worse car?

In a game where the most commonly used mechanic to make bosses more interesting are telegraphed PBAOE attacks, Damaging areas that force you to move away from a boss or relocate, melees are already in at a conceivable disadvantage. It makes no sense to give them worse base capabilities than ranged builds.

Your both correct.

But obviously shags would answer : "because it's fun?"

Which is a relevant factor for some and not for others, since experiencing fun comes from different things for a lot of people and people prioritize it differently.

I reckon you can ignore most of this if your solo self-found mostly. But for players who actively engage in the multiplayer element of this game, the fiat vs porsche issue has a lot of impact because it also translates to how many cars in total you will be able to afford down the road etc...

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
Cataca wrote:
"
Shagsbeard wrote:

Do you realize you can own both?
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
Do you realize you can own both?

Yes, and i do.

But objectively speaking, i still know which car will cost me less, is easier to drive and will ultimately make for a less bumpy ride.

You tell me, is it healthy for a third of the possible ways to play this game to not have a raison d'etre other than to make the game artificially harder/slower?

At least i'd like to think there should be a reason to dust off my Fiat, other than to feel a sense of novelty when driving it.
Make melee damage notables have damage reduction, and fix armour so it's actually useful versus bigger hits. Nerf granite flasks or their interaction with armour % increased to prevent abuse.

Add fortify to all melee skills, but make the fortify buff disappear if you use a non melee skill (maybe exclude curses and a few other skills from removing the buff).

Add keystone to the shadow/ranger area that grants a small amount of armour based on evasion, but reduces spell damage and bow/wand damage by 50% less.

"
innervation wrote:
"
I tend to play mostly ranged builds. I am curious about melee because I was considering making one this season. I did notice that there are some new amulet mods that increase the effect of fortify by 15% (in the league at least). <-- That seems like a buff to me. Are they lacking dps or what is the problem? I am seriously asking.

One thing that annoys me personally is the lack of movement speed on the left side of the tree.

1) When people say 'melee suck' they don't mean things like Earthquake, which can used on the ground with no target at melee but effectively hit things much farther away, they mean any skills like Viper Strike, Double Strike, or Wild Strike that demand that you 'name lock' a monster with your cursor, run up to them, and hit them.

2) Why they suck is because running up to a monster means that monster can hit you back (or fire projectiles at you while you run/leap to it)

3) As a melee in this situation, you have no offsetting bonus or reward for taking this extra risk. Melee can deal a lot of damage in PoE, but so can Ranged. For instance (and I'm not saying anyone is asking for this) in Diablo 3, melee classes take a blanket (I think it's) 30% less damage.

So being a melee in this game is taking more risks than a ranged character, with no corresponding reward, whether that be more damage, more survivability, more AoE, better single target, etc. Pretty much anything you can do as a melee you can do as effectively, and more safely from range with a different skill. That's the argument anyway.

Totally agree.

Btw, the lack of defences concerns more than everything the 2h melee char, and this is strange.
A 2h melee doesn't have more dps than other "classes" and builds and he has, for sure, the worst survivability in the wraeclast. Why???
2 solutions could work, in my opinion:

a) more life for 2h melee. We don't have a shield to protect us so we need something to avoid the oneshot, like "20% more life if wearing a 2 hand melee weapon (with a melee attack)" , 10% for 1h melee weapon.
You cant dodge or evade attacks and spells.

b) Armor could mitigate even the spell damage, like a 10% every 10k armor (without flask), ofc only if u are using a melee weapon and a melee attack.
Again, you cant dodge or evade attacks and spells.

If someone goes melee mostly is because he likes the face to face fighting, and it's unbelivable that this kind of choice has only downsides.
Right now if u wanna be competitive with a melee build you must use 2 melee attacks that are not actually melee, sunder and eq, or, this is the most funny part, a melee totem!

ZiggyD is the Labyrinth of streamers, some like it, some dont, but GGG will make sure to push it down ur throat to make you like it
Last edited by Sexcalibure on Aug 15, 2016, 11:46:48 PM
"
Sexcalibure wrote:

:D:D:D::D::D:DD:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
-Forever Casual-
IGN: Zzerk
Have to admit when I saw the video on the fight with the new essence trapped mobs I was like lulz melee is so done. But that won't stop me from trying neway.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info