EDIT: Melee will go extinct before even getting to final 5 Atlas bosses

http://diablo.gamepedia.com/Concentrate_(Diablo_II)

Diablo2 had a skill that was uninterruptable that improved defense. Why aren't there any gems like that? It could be like having a granite flask popped as long as you are attacking within facetank range.
That's kinda what fortify is only change I'd like to see to that gem is to make the increased damage part be a more damage thing and just make it a staple for all physical melee builds like melee phys gem is. There is already a billion more multiplier gems for melee idt making one more is going to reck anything.

How about this a melee to ranged support gem that makes any melee attack shoot projectiles :)_
"
CalamityAOE wrote:
How about this a melee to ranged support gem that makes any melee attack shoot projectiles :)_
Why stop there? How about a threshold jewel that turns any melee gem into bladefall mines. Call it Minefall Blade ;)
"
CalamityAOE wrote:
That's kinda what fortify is only change I'd like to see to that gem is to make the increased damage part be a more damage thing and just make it a staple for all physical melee builds like melee phys gem is. There is already a billion more multiplier gems for melee idt making one more is going to reck anything.

Maybe they could add some defense rework to some lesser used gems and make them more desirable such as heavy strike, sweep ..ect instead of adding gems.

Some suggestions could be

endurance charges, instant leech (vaal pact), armor boost, built in leech, regen while attacking, mob attacks are slowed in radius of attack, chance to dodge ect. There are a lot of options they have not even touched on.
Last edited by xxSerpentlordxx on Aug 16, 2016, 11:03:32 AM
"
I hate that it doesn't function like a ranged attack and hit the first target in it's path

It does do that, regular melee attacks and all skills that use normal attacks for initial hit will strike the first target in line between your char and the cursor. You can sometimes notice that the monster gets hit when you think you've misclicked, but it won't really be obvious unless your attack range is really high, which is the case for Frost Blades.

I will agree it's still a fairly clunky skill to use and targetting in melee sucks in general.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
"
srt746 wrote:
"
CalamityAOE wrote:
Why stop there? How about a threshold jewel that turns any melee gem into bladefall mines. Call it Minefall Blade ;)

You're hired.
Fortify is so overrated it's just one of the many flawed things about melee design, I mean I'd give GGG a C- for effort in that at least fortify came to existence but really if you aren't using it perma for Champion, it's a) waste of gem slot & cost DPS and b) waste of action in having to keep triggering it meaning less DPS / clear speed.

So it's kind of a gimmick bonus for melee, which is why so many posts here are right in saying true melee needs some buff defensively since fortify is simply not enough.

Dark_Chicken - lvl 100 Marauder
Divine_Chicken - lvl 100 Duelist
Last edited by Dark_Chicken on Aug 16, 2016, 11:17:58 PM
"
Dark_Chicken wrote:
Fortify is so overrated it's just one of the many flawed things about melee design, I mean I'd give GGG a C- for effort in that at least fortify came to existence but really if you aren't using it perma for Champion, it's a) waste of gem slot & cost DPS and b) waste of action in having to keep triggering it meaning less DPS / clear speed.

So it's kind of a gimmick bonus for melee, which is why so many posts here are right in saying true melee needs some buff defensively since fortify is simply not enough.

well, it's an 'increased' melee dmg mod rather than a 'more' melee dmg mod, making it strictly less useful than melee phys support or melee phys at full life (if you're running CI or have slayer infini-leech), but you're still required to run it if you don't want to die, since fortify+endurance charges phys damage reduction FAR outpaces the existing quadratic armor requirements for even close to the same amount. changing it to a 'more' melee dmg mod (even with a percentage reduction to make it a competitive choice versus melee phys support--power vs survivability and all that) would go a long way towards making it more useful when it is already required for melees to function.

as it stands, using it sets you back a gems-worth of power from ranged and spell users, which only gets set back further when you take into account travel time to target (an arrow or spell not named lightning orb will reach the enemy to deal damage far before a melee character can, even with movement skills), and so on. another such "gem tax" would be melee splash (and inc aoe on some skills), since you're going to need it if you plan to combat groups with any efficiency without being swarmed (see: 99.9% of the content in path of exile)

it's actually one of the reasons that earthquake is so powerful (in comparison to other melee skills--it's still miles behind CoC/ranged attacks/spells, despite what some are complaining about): it is able to actually take advantage of more spell-focused gems that add 'more' damage as a side effect (less duration, concentrated effect, rapid decay if using DoT's as well, etc) without wasting gem slots like other more conventional melee skills.
Last edited by AndIMustMask on Aug 16, 2016, 11:54:39 PM
"
raics wrote:
"
CalamityAOE wrote:
Have to admit when I saw the video on the fight with the new essence trapped mobs I was like lulz melee is so done. But that won't stop me from trying neway.

I wouldn't take their promotional videos too seriously.

Well i think it show pretty good what melee are and why they shit.
Necropolis master craft service Necropolis My IGN TreeOfDead
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2037371 Vouch
Necropolis veiled crafting all service all crafts mods
Necropolis SC master craft service Necropolis SC craft mod!
Veiled crafting Service Necropolis craft PM: TreeOfDead
"
TreeOfDead wrote:
"
raics wrote:
"
CalamityAOE wrote:
Have to admit when I saw the video on the fight with the new essence trapped mobs I was like lulz melee is so done. But that won't stop me from trying neway.

I wouldn't take their promotional videos too seriously.

Well i think it show pretty good what melee are and why they shit.

Most of the chars they use in promo videos can envy the firepower of a marshmallow shooter.

Touched upon the subject with a buddy after seeing the new map promo video. I assume they want to accomplish two things with that:
- They want to picture PoE as a hardcore and challenging experience with tactical combat and carefully measured pacing.
- The game is very tough and unfriendly for beginners so they want to set their expectation bar as low as possible, something a newcomer would end up with would be even worse.

Unfortunately, most player made videos out there invalidate this valiant effort.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info