EDIT: Melee will go extinct before even getting to final 5 Atlas bosses

"
Boem wrote:
"
raics wrote:
"
Boem wrote:
Melee however, should offer a different strategy or play-style, which it currently does not.

Wore down the keyboard on that one and ultimately gave up, what I had in mind wouldn't really fit the game as it is today so I guess it was a waste of time from the start.

I'd be happy with life on major melee nodes at this point, that would of course mean that ranged skills with melee weapons can never be very good but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

There is a much more elegant solution, but it would entail a complete rework of the system in place.

Simply put

-> increase modifiers and stats on the passive tree
-> decrease modifiers and stats on gear

This means gear becomes less impact-full on the characters final power position.(less, it does not erase it)

As a result the overall power-curve between low/mid/high tier players becomes more stable and allows content to be more accurately attuned to those levels of power.(which enables the disabling of burst kills on players)

But your bright enough to realize the full extend of such an endeavor.

As a side effect, levels would also more accurately depict the power level of a character, which currently is not the case since gear fills out so much of the characters power/progression.

Peace,

-Boem-

But thats more of a general fix to the games powercreep than a fix for melee. (a good idea nevertheless)

I think the issue in and of itself, is that melee builds are spread incredibly thin because the only nodes that actually incorporate defense and offense are the block nodes. Nodes on the tree specifically for melee that are not block nodes dont even try to be better than ranged damage nodes.

And the need to have one defensive layer like block, armor or evasion & dodge pretty much eat up your reserved mana %, require specific nodes (and a boatload of them) or require you to slot specific gear. There is not a lot of leeway in the way to build your toon.

Its why i love to play melee witches, sure, you sacrifice your ascendency for block and life on block, but its like slotting a aegis aurora on your toon with a ton of blocknodes in the back. It gives you tons of ways to build your character. Course, the constant buffing up is annoying as fuck.
i think they should add a notable node like

"Parry"

>same with acrobatics mechanics: 30% to parry physcal and spell
>can only do melee damage

or

"Warlords Cloak"

>avoid a mortal damage chance 15% <--which is 1 shot
>reduce damage taken by 15% <--somewhat same with fortify effect
>can only do melee damage
Last edited by Prime_nairB on Aug 15, 2016, 2:00:31 PM
"
Boem wrote:
As a side effect, levels would also more accurately depict the power level of a character, which currently is not the case since gear fills out so much of the characters power/progression.

Of course, too bad the game has to stay gear-centered to keep the economy running. My suggestion went along the lines of tying gear types and certain bonuses more closely to playstyles, make changes to core game rules to fix issues instead of patching them up but that wouldn't really fly today. It was actually never possible if this is what they originally went for.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
I suggest something :

"You take 1% less damage per node containing a melee tag"

Most builds can only have around 15-20%, it's less so it's not additive with other reductions, avoiding complete mitigation. a 100% melee build could get 30% at max i think

However it kicks dual wield in the ballz, it's not necessarly melee

Also because it's LESS the more damage you take, better it's efficiency ;) if you already have fortify, endurance charge and a lot of things, it's effectiveness will be greatly reduced.
I will never be good but always I try to improve.
Last edited by Geisalt on Aug 15, 2016, 2:37:56 PM
the problem is with defenses. when i see melee tanks with 9k life pools, massive damage reductions etc still get one shot, i think to myself what the fuck is the point.

might as well invest everything in damage avoidance instead of mitigation, and offense to kill before being killed. ranged is inherent damage avoidance so thats the best start - aka RIP melee.

seriously this is the problem. you need to be able to give actual damage mitigation for it to be of any damn good. i know theres lots in the game, in theory, but again when i see these massive tanks still instantly die there is just no point putting investment in massive tanks

edit: what i will be playing in the new league, and what i think is currently and always has been really powerful is freezing. freeze is actually pretty easy to achieve now-a-days and freeze locking, even bosses, is completely possible.
im incorporating this into a bow build - which i already have right now and its stinkin' awesome, but i'll be doing things slightly differently in the league since i won't have gear i have in standard.
Last edited by xMustard on Aug 15, 2016, 2:48:31 PM
"
raics wrote:
"
Boem wrote:

Of course, too bad the game has to stay gear-centered to keep the economy running. My suggestion went along the lines of tying gear types and certain bonuses more closely to playstyles, make changes to core game rules to fix issues instead of patching them up but that wouldn't really fly today. It was actually never possible if this is what they originally went for.

I personally think this assumption is wrong.

Gear would still hold relevance if done correctly, the difference would be that suddenly having 10k more dps would be impressive in a min-max scenario.

Currently we are in a situation where you see differences like

9k to 12k life -> high tier life based
4.5 to 5k life -> medium tier

30k dps -> medium tier
500000000000000000000000000000000k dps -> high tier

And these differences are mainly dictated by the gearing process and less by the passive tree's. Creating a very wide gap between power levels of players and the corresponding balance issue's in content to oppose these players.

If the gap between high life and medium life was let's say, around 1.5 to 2K life a lot more freedom would be offered to the content designers to create dangerous but not ludicrous situations.
A similar story with damage output.

Peace,

-Boem-

edit : i guess what i am saying is, even if the numerical value's are lower, increases are still sought out for in games like these no mater how trivial, for epeen reasons.
Hell would freeze over before an epeen fanatic doesn't wanna see his 1 damage move up to 2.
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
Last edited by Boem on Aug 15, 2016, 3:32:42 PM
"
Boem wrote:
edit : i guess what i am saying is, even if the numerical value's are lower, increases are still sought out for in games like these no mater how trivial, for epeen reasons.
Hell would freeze over before an epeen fanatic doesn't wanna see his 1 damage move up to 2.

That isn't crazy at all and I'd readily agree if PoE had an auction house. However, we see that even the diehardest minmaxers need a certain gap to bother with the whole process here and regular players need no less significant reason than swapping Lifesprigs for Catalysts, if you'll pardon the hyperbole, so it's a bit of a shaky subject.

I do agree the gaps between low, middle and upper class are ludicrously big in this society and rarely miss the opportunity to mention it myself. You know, in some other game you might go through your inventory of drops from one area, pick a rare sword and continue with your killing spree with an acceptable performance hit, here it will feel so blunt you might be tempted to wipe your ass with it.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Aug 15, 2016, 3:47:20 PM
"
Geisalt wrote:
I suggest something :

"You take 1% less damage per node containing a melee tag"

Most builds can only have around 15-20%, it's less so it's not additive with other reductions, avoiding complete mitigation. a 100% melee build could get 30% at max i think

However it kicks dual wield in the ballz, it's not necessarly melee

Also because it's LESS the more damage you take, better it's efficiency ;) if you already have fortify, endurance charge and a lot of things, it's effectiveness will be greatly reduced.

Any defense for melee would be great, so why not.
Necropolis master craft service Necropolis My IGN TreeOfDead
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2037371 Vouch
Necropolis veiled crafting all service all crafts mods
Necropolis SC master craft service Necropolis SC craft mod!
Veiled crafting Service Necropolis craft PM: TreeOfDead
I'm actually going to play melee lol. Like I always do. Thinking Static strike Inquisitor easy strats. Might just transition into Ice crash after I realise for the 100th time how dogshit static strike is.
Last edited by JusJev on Aug 15, 2016, 7:46:51 PM
There's a presumption made in this post that's silly. You seem to presume that most players will ever encounter the world bosses. I doubt that more than 5% ever will. Melee is fine. It's fun to play. Quit thinking that you have to be in the top 5% in order for your play to matter.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info