experience penalty for re-running the same map types

better call it bonus for running different maps
"Is there such a thing as an absolute, timeless enemy? There is no such thing, and never has been. And the reason
is that our enemies are human beings like us. They can only be our enemies in relative terms."
"
laycast wrote:
Why would you introduce something to hurt the player base even more?

You see a problem: "people spam gorges"

so you think: "lets nerf people spamming maps in a row".

This has to be the most uncreative and boring solution to a problem yet. The real problem are the XP nerfs to higher levels maps, AGAIN, they keep taking away the reward and leaving all the risk.

Sad thing is, I could see GGG doing something retarded like this because they never actually fix the problem; they just do short term fixes that doesn't actually fix anything in the long run.

Thats why I suggested this:

Instead of introducing exp penalities, GGG could also try to implement bonuses for not running the same map over and over again. So if you run Map X and then Map Y, you get +10% quantity/rarity/experience. If you then use Map Z, you get another +10% quatity/rarity/experience. With this, you can get up to 3 stacks, but that means you always have to use a different map and to get the most out of it. It needs to be 3 different maps in a row (so you can't change between 2 maps). This would motivate players to play at least 3 different maps in succession.

This mechanic wouldn't punish people who play only 1 map type, but would reward people who use different map types. In my opinion a much better approach.
So...not reading seven pages of posts.

But this game is about "pure" RNG. Why penalize players, or rather award them, for something based on RNG?

My cursory skimming tells me that the suggestion should either be a penalty for running the same or similar maps, or a benefit for running different maps.

Why should a player be penalized because they get the same map over and over, or be rewarded for different maps dropping?

The answer is, they shouldn't. The reward and penalty should be the drop (the map) itself. Nothing else. If you get the same map over and over, trade it or play it.
"
Natharias wrote:
Why should a player be penalized because they get the same map over and over, or be rewarded for different maps dropping?

because being able to chain run the same (most rewarding maps xp wise) maps is the easiest way to get experience which is kind of trivial and has no drawbacks. it makes the game boring because there is no choice to make: you just buy plateau and gorge from zana and if you don't, you lose.

this game is full of min/maxers who need more incentive to make choices.

"
Natharias wrote:
If you get the same map over and over, trade it or play it.

my intention, if you get the same map t15 map over and over again you either trade some of them for other maps or just enjoy getting your hands on endgame items but get no xp.

and yes, this mechanic probably seriously slows down "self found" players but that's nothing new to those folks and i think they rather enjoy it.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
Don´t talk for others. I play mostly selffound and don´t like that idea.
Ah and everybody have a choice what to play. I don´t mind sb playing gorge 1000x in a row.
It´s up to you.
GGG should add more rewarding map/item drop system though.
Last edited by Rakiii on Jul 5, 2016, 6:51:24 AM
"
Rakiii wrote:
Don´t talk for others.

i'm talking from the game master's and not the selfish point of view of yours. that involves wanting to affect the game play of others.

i would also have to bear the consequences of my suggestions.

"
Rakiii wrote:
Ah and everybody have a choice what to play.

no, you have the choices the game provides for you, nothing more.

"
Rakiii wrote:
I don´t mind sb playing gorge 1000x in a row. It´s up to you.

no, it's not.

if you read my posts, my issue is: you playing 1000 gorges is 600 other players not running them and enjoying the fast xp because they sold them to you.

i don't want to prevent that as it's also their choice to sell these maps but there is no drawback yet to just chain running.

"best practices" all should have a drawback to generate decisions, otherwise all players go that route which makes the game kind of boring over time.

"
Rakiii wrote:

GGG should add more rewarding map/item drop system though.

endgame is currently reworked, but why do you want the game easier? too grindy? you feel like you can't keep up with others because you can't invest that much time into the game like them?

age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
"
vio wrote:
i'm talking from the game master's and not the selfish point of view of yours. that involves wanting to affect the game play of others.
i would also have to bear the consequences of my suggestions.

That´s exactly what you´re doing here. Don´t teach people how to enjoy/play the game.

"
vio wrote:
no, you have the choices the game provides for you, nothing more..

The game offers to you smth but you can choose what to do. Play gorge 1000x in a row or rotate maps one by one.

"
vio wrote:
if you read my posts, my issue is: you playing 1000 gorges is 600 other players not running them and enjoying the fast xp because they sold them to you. i don't want to prevent that as it's also their choice to sell these maps but there is no drawback yet to just chain running."best practices" all should have a drawback to generate decisions, otherwise all players go that route which makes the game kind of boring over time.

If it´s boring for you to play only Gorges don´t do it lol. Why should we punish people for doing things they like. GGG should rather support variety of builds/ways how to play etc.

"
vio wrote:
endgame is currently reworked, but why do you want the game easier? too grindy? you feel like you can't keep up with others because you can't invest that much time into the game like them?.

It´s just your imagination. I would like to have game more balanced/challenging (no stupid 1 shots mechanics and such though) and also rewarding for doing risky things (less rng) cos I think it´s much better to reward players doing things otherwise (prophecies have an idea)than punishing them for doing smth they probably like.
Last edited by Rakiii on Jul 5, 2016, 7:42:40 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info