experience penalty for re-running the same map types

"
Perq wrote:

Define you ran. Entered? Opened? Fully cleared? Definition is unclear, and so would be programming such a thing.

what's your suggestion?

map type reset on killing the boss? ggg ever wanted to motivate players to do that and bound map availability on it. which kind of failed because the top players trade for maps or get them as presents if they stream.

binding map experience on killing the boss is a bit more pushy but tolerable?

"
Perq wrote:
Also, seems to only be creating annoying barriers

the whole game is a barrier which needlessly prevents you from entering endgame mapping immediately after league start.

what problems exist and what do you suggest to solve them?
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
Last edited by vio on Jul 4, 2016, 8:09:03 AM
"
vio wrote:
[...]
what's your suggestion?

map type reset on killing the boss? ggg ever wanted to motivate players to do that and bound map availability on it. which kind of failed because the top players trade for maps or get them as presents if they stream.

binding map experience on killing the boss is a bit more pushy but tolerable?

Some maps are cheaper already - people do not want to do them, because they either have "annoying" layout, or boss is rippy. Only problem with that is these maps do not offer any bigger rewards, other than their lower cost of buying. :v Adding some more drops from these dangerous bosses might work. I doubt people would run those maps over and over, since other maps (with, for example simply layouts) would still be nice thing to have.

What I'm trying to say here, is that I'm against GGG's idea of "there must be good and bad maps" (or in fact, everything. GGG uses this flawed logic in skill design, too, it seems, as they refuse to bring older skill in line... but I digress). All maps should be worth running - be it because they have easy, sonic-speed layouts, or because they offer better risk-reward scheme.

Artificially punishing players for doing good maps, and forcing them into shitty maps, they do not want to do, won't bring anything good. Just look how people reacted to shitty Prophecies. Different is ok. Shitty is not.

"
vio wrote:

[...]
the whole game is a barrier which needlessly prevents you from entering endgame mapping immediately after league start.

what problems exist and what do you suggest to solve them?

Present players with choice, but meaningful one. But let the player chose - don't force the decision upon him/her with barriers like you will get shitty exp here. Give him the choice - you can run this map, which has easy layout, and you can rush it or you can pick this map, which has difficult layout/rippy boss, but offers more items/better drop from boss. You could probably think of other map types to pick from, but this is what I can think of right now. :P
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
Last edited by Perq on Jul 4, 2016, 8:24:31 AM
"
Perq wrote:

Present players with choice, but meaningful one. But let the player chose - don't force the decision upon him/her with barriers like you will get shitty exp here.

i think i'm providing more choices by letting the player freely decide on which map he wants to run instead of just putting difficult bosses into maps with a fast to clear layout and visa versa.

there should be easy to run maps with easy bosses which are fun to play but running them exclusively should have a drawback.

good things shine the more when there are mandatory bad things you have to get through.
Why punish players for doing maps? If someone got a stockpile of a certain map type, why force them to trade or find or buy from a vendor different kind of maps?

wb back dirk,

"
Why punish players for doing maps? If someone got a stockpile of a certain map type, why force them to trade or find or buy from a vendor different kind of maps?

to slow down the progress of map and player level progression in general and specifically in red maps where players usually don't have a high variety of maps (because there is none).

as it currently is, players who are online alot and trade alot can afford to buy the good map types off the market and chain run them to min/max their progress.

it's just too easy and also leaves other players who don't nolife the game with running less desirable maps as it's not profiable to run them themselves.
I think vio's point is that if you start doing the same map tens or hundreds of times while skipping most other maps, then chances are you're abusing a too good map and it's going to hurt the game in the long run.
His suggestion is too big of a constraint, which is why I made mine, trying to make it a better starting point for such a system. It also needs a lot of tweaking too, though. For example, maybe it would be better if it was exponential rather than linear. Also, it would definitely require a buffer of at least 5 maps, in order to not apply to players that would happen to have a streak of maps of the same kind.

I'm not sure whether the base idea is good or not, but I am trying to offer suggestions to get closer to the intent.
"
vio wrote:
wb back dirk,

"

to slow down the progress of map and player level progression in general and specifically in red maps where players usually don't have a high variety of maps (because there is none).

as it currently is, players who are online alot and trade alot can afford to buy the good map types off the market and chain run them to min/max their progress.

it's just too easy and also leaves other players who don't nolife the game with running less desirable maps as it's not profiable to run them themselves.

Why slow it down? What do YOU gain from preventing OTHER players from gaining XP as fast or slow as we currently do?

Lvl 60+ is hard enough to gain any XP as it is. Rather increase it. Besides, this suggestion only helps traders, not casual players. Traders can buy any map type, so this even benefits them.

GGG not implement this, theyre not going to hurt the casual fan base.
Why would you introduce something to hurt the player base even more?

You see a problem: "people spam gorges"

so you think: "lets nerf people spamming maps in a row".

This has to be the most uncreative and boring solution to a problem yet. The real problem are the XP nerfs to higher levels maps, AGAIN, they keep taking away the reward and leaving all the risk.

Sad thing is, I could see GGG doing something retarded like this because they never actually fix the problem; they just do short term fixes that doesn't actually fix anything in the long run.
Dynamic Environment - Day/Night, Rain/Lightning - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/110100

GGG's design philosophy in three words:
Quantity over Quality.
"
laycast wrote:

This has to be the most uncreative and boring solution to a problem yet. The real problem are the XP nerfs to higher levels maps, AGAIN, they keep taking away the reward and leaving all the risk.

Sad thing is, I could see GGG doing something retarded like this because they never actually fix the problem; they just do short term fixes that doesn't actually fix anything in the long run.

I think they dont want to keep the new casual players but hold on to the old financial supporters. Which is sad. Its a pyramid scheme like thing. Eventually they run out of long term supporters and then it all falls apart. They need to make the game casual friendly so people are even willing to pay for it and keep supporting over time.

Read about the maps nerf, guess i wont be playing POE again after all. It was slow as it is to gain XP, but now i bet its just pointless unless you are a pro player trader who farms maps with 5 other people.
"
laycast wrote:

+++

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info