experience penalty for re-running the same map types

Would hurt me a lot seeing I am stuck on the tier 5-8 limbo most of the time. RNG likes to throw same map a lot to me. I am have done some rare maps (from dropping) before with pack size and even then, RNG is like nope, so it is not worth even the risk for measly rewards.

I am against this suggestion.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

if we're going that route, nerf either xp or drop rate of the most linear and accessible maps.

gorge, plateau, arid lake, canyon, springs.

chaining sometimes is necessary due to RNG. nothing wrong with artificially balancing 'efficient' maps against maps majority of 'muh efficiency' peeps hate such as underground river.
"
vio wrote:
"
That's awful.

that's too many arguments against me. i think i give up on making suggestions here.

Don't give up just realize that not every idea can really work. I've seen you come up with good ideas for other stuff :D
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
"
goetzjam wrote:
"
vio wrote:
"
That's awful.

that's too many arguments against me. i think i give up on making suggestions here.

Don't give up just realize that not every idea can really work. I've seen you come up with good ideas for other stuff :D
agreed

'All new ideas that succeed are stupid ideas. Finding the right stupid ideas that might take off and separating them from those that won't, is the single and most important (and very hard) thing in an entrepreneur's job' (c)Alan Cooper, this year at a conference :p

not saying his idea is stupid, but Ive seen peoples ideas taken by companies, and certainly by GGG
"
JohnNamikaze wrote:
Would hurt me a lot seeing I am stuck on the tier 5-8 limbo most of the time. RNG likes to throw same map a lot to me. I am have done some rare maps (from dropping) before with pack size and even then, RNG is like nope, so it is not worth even the risk for measly rewards.

please try to see it in the context of the game rather than a personal one.

the aim of the suggestion IS to hurt you, to slow your progression, to make you furiously cry, to make you think on how to best manage that new diminishing returns mechanic the game challenges you with, for example on how to best run lower tier map types if you're out of stock in higher tier ones in great variety.

i expected suggestions on how to improve the idea and make it more challenging.

but if you people keep argumenting against (and attacking (go to north korea...) suggestions which make the game more challenging and pull all that on a personal level you don't have to wonder about people stop making those suggestions. or any suggestions at all.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
Last edited by vio on Jun 30, 2016, 4:06:34 AM
If the goal is to make the game more challenging, why not simply have some of the monster stats increase every time you do a map, and decrease every time you do another one (but not lower than base level, of course)?
I don't think experience is the right way to go if you want to make the game more difficult/challenging. Right now, many players are getting really bothered with GGG's will to make players' grinds for experience painfully long for everyone due to the very few that do manage to hit level 100 at insane speeds.
"
vio wrote:

the aim of the suggestion IS to hurt you, to slow your progression, to make you furiously cry, to make you think on how to best manage that new diminishing returns mechanic the game challenges you with, for example on how to best run lower tier map types if you're out of stock in higher tier ones in great variety.

but if you people keep argumenting against (and attacking (go to north korea...) suggestions which make the game more challenging and pull all that on a personal level you don't have to wonder about people stop making those suggestions. or any suggestions at all.

I know my post was based on my personal opinion, but if I were to look at it objectively, I will still arrive to the same conclusion that the suggestion being a bad idea.

This suggestion will not stop those that know how to reach level 100 quickly. It made slow them down a bit for them, but with their extreme luck, perseverance, or whatever assist them through the process to piggy back them to 100, it will happen. For those do not have all three or at least 2 out of the three factors, endgame content will be hell. At that point is it worth mapping? You can say its good for the game, but another would think its bad for the game.

Honestly though, what is the point of this type of suggestion. What will the game benefit out of this? What will the player benefit out of this? There needs to be "some" balance between the game and the players.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Jun 30, 2016, 5:03:48 AM
"
vio wrote:
"
JohnNamikaze wrote:

Because it doesn't make the game more challenging. Grinding != Challenge. If you want a challenge rebalance the game and redesign all the garbage mechanics that keep piling up.
All your suggestion would do is shift the problem and force players to run crappy almost non-existent content. If you want more grind just increase the xp you need (or decrease monster xp). Overall no matter how you see it your suggestion is poorly thought out. The best way to improve it is just to simply drop it. Even assuming your suggestion gets implemented in a somehow perfect way it would still be min-maxed within hours and be completely redundant. Nothing hurts. mp pme wpiöd cry. It#s just a timesink.
From a point of map variety running Gorge 24/7 is a problem. But that's because 80% of the maps are trash and haven't been rebalanced in ages. Maps need to be worth running again. Map specific items were a step in the right direction, but underused. There was once one of those empty manifestos talking about rewards for finishing a map. Nothing happened. Bad layouts need to be compensated by either higher mob density or other kind of 'rewards'.

If you really want to continue this thought then do it the other way around. Give incentive for running different maps. Like Zana Chains. 5 random maps, each consecutive run gives a little bonus. Like 10% rarity / quantity / exp whatever. Suddenly you have a mechanic that can be altered in myriads of ways. Could even be a leaque. Like oldschool boss rush mode.
But if it's just xp grinding that you want don't hide it behind a weird mechanic that just penalizes players who don't care about such things.

And by all means continue your suggestions. We are playing PoE. There is more developing happening in North Korea. Probably less scam and grind, too.
No thanks.

I have no problem with other players doing the same map type over and over. I don't even see the problem.
i also don't think this is a good suggestion. mostly because it's a penalty again that potentially hurts casuals more (again) than those who this would aim for.

a thing that COULD work would be a model like they did in WoW.

have player receive extra XP the longer they are not logged in. means for every hour (just a number, might be 2 or even more) you are not logged in you receive double (?) the XP for 1% of your level.
so if you are logged out for 12 hours the next 12% of your level will reward you with 2x the XP.

this would not affect races to 100 in a new league as you would still make more XP playing the game than playing it half that time and receiving double XP.

one thing that comes to my mind is trading. many ppl stay logged in and doing something in the background. so (like WoW) you could receive that bonus in towns/hideouts aswell.
Last edited by Ruefl2x on Jun 30, 2016, 5:59:12 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info