... Snail Time ...

Yeah...I think that map is too dangerous due to the twisting corners...when I was surrounded by the orbs I had NOWHERE to go...I just kept whirling around and hitting my flasks...way too risky. I only ran them because I had nothing else higher tier that was less dangerous (Volcano maps = NO)...had exhausted the rest and I had 30+ of Underground Rivers...many from combined extra Cells and other T8 maps which I have far too many of. Perhaps I should turn them into Chateaus or something.

I've yet to buy any maps...but I think I can get to 97 without doing so...but my main reason not to is that I'm considering replacing my Pathfinder's armour. I've been using a self found 6L but it has no life...but having a good life roll would give me about 300 more life which I really need (she's around 5100 right now)...but it would be expensive to get a hybrid ES/EV 6L...however that extra life would be very, very helpful.

So...in saving up for that...no buying maps...I'll have to rely on Zana...but after getting to 96 my map stock is actually a bit higher...so overall, I'm doing ok.

Dang 29%...alright...challenge met sir...you've inspired me to try and catch up! :D
"
Deadpeng wrote:
"
kompaniet wrote:
why are you doing these low t9-t10 maps if you are going for max level? gorge? plateau? chateau?
do higher maps or it's gonna take forever. you don't get any exp from those low maps at your high levels.

For those of you unfamiliar with POE history. It used to be the case that exp gain can fall to zero if the level gap between player and area is too large.

GGG however introduced an update about one and half year ago that there is a base experience per map to protect players from getting zero exp.

But it still min-caps at 1%, which is absurdly low... lower, in fact, than Turniphead is even getting for running T9s. At level 96 running level 76 maps (11 effective difference in play), you get 9% of the map's raw experience. Running a T13 map, on the other hand, gets you about 29% of the map's raw experience, so over 3x the experience per map, before even considering that monsters give a bit more raw experience at level 80 than 76. If you can handle T15s then you get an entire 51% of the map's raw exp at level 96. This kind of thing is why people can hit level 96 or 97 on day 2 of these new flashback leagues.

Of course, the maps themselves aren't incredibly cost-efficient if you only roll blues, which Turniphead apparently does, so maybe it's worth the extra 4x duration of running the maps instead of just paying the cost of the higher maps (or, you know, running yellow maps to keep your own map pool up). idk.
Last edited by codetaku on May 16, 2016, 12:26:46 PM
"

But it still min-caps at 1%, which is absurdly low... lower, in fact, than Turniphead is even getting for running T9s. At level 96 running level 76 maps (11 effective difference in play), you get 9% of the map's raw experience. Running a T13 map, on the other hand, gets you about 29% of the map's raw experience, so over 3x the experience per map, before even considering that monsters give a bit more raw experience at level 80 than 76. If you can handle T15s then you get an entire 51% of the map's raw exp at level 96. This kind of thing is why people can hit level 96 or 97 on day 2 of these new flashback leagues.

Of course, the maps themselves aren't incredibly cost-efficient if you only roll blues, which Turniphead apparently does, so maybe it's worth the extra 4x duration of running the maps instead of just paying the cost of the higher maps (or, you know, running yellow maps to keep your own map pool up). idk.

Min caps at 2% apparently. Also, remember that while higher maps give better exp, they also have a larger chance of you dying, especially if you run them rare to try to sustain a red map pool. And if you are unable to sustain that red map pool, it also gets hideously expensive.

Edit: I was doing obas cursed trove, cleared it, alt tabbed out to check some stuff, didn't notice I was standing in the desc ground in the treasure room...
Last edited by LightningStars on May 16, 2016, 12:59:22 PM
"
Min caps at 2% apparently.

You are working on incredibly outdated information.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1304441

As of Awakening, the penalty min-caps at 1%. 2% was the value before that.
"
[

You make some good points, HikaruYami...believe me I would much prefer to be running red maps myself. I've done most of the T12, 13 and 14 maps and they are no problem for my character. The only problem for me is sustaining the pool. I used to chisel, alc/chaos/scour all of my high end maps and exclusively ran yellow prior to the Zana change. I was always either running out currency or maps...and the higher risk of death was also a factor. I had trouble getting past the low 90s during this time...and then after researching I decided to run all blues and then I finally got a character to Lv 94. But maintaining maps was still problematic.

I've tried going back to running all Rare maps...but I still run into the same problems. I've ran map after map with crazy mods even while wearing my MF gear and some or most of the time, I don't get many good maps. And then strange things happen like this past weekend when I ran a blue T10 map with moderate mods (+15 pack size) and had 7 maps drop...T11, 2 T10s and four Arid Lakes...it was an Ima True Believer in RnGeezer moment. The only thing I've noticed that sustains my map pool is to just keep running blue after blue...buying good T9s, 10s and 11s from Zana...I have tons of less desirable higher end maps...and the good ones I run immediately.

However, I've yet to build up a decent pool of red maps...maybe if I ran rares I would get more...but I personally have seen little difference...and the risk of death plus loss of currency isn't worth it. Getting to 97 is the same penalty...and the penalty for 98, 99 and 100 doesn't look all that scary to me. I'm not in a race or doing a new league...I'm just having some fun and getting there on my own time. But since I can clear easier maps fast (5-7 min tops) its not all that bad.

But if anyone has thoughts on how to sustain a red map pool...I'm all ears. :D
I think, sadly, every high-end player will simply answer "run maps in dedicated groups". I've been playing the flashback league and it's quite common to hear requests in global 820 for pack size rotations of T13 maps (where everyone provides one map, and the group as a whole benefits from the huge item quantity bonus applied by being in a group). Per-map, you will receive fewer items, but in a rotation of 6 people you will receive more of everything (except, apparently, maps themselves) on average than you would from your singular map, while still gaining the experience of all 6 maps. So even if more maps don't drop, you will be able to better afford better maps and gain much more mileage out of each.
Last edited by codetaku on May 16, 2016, 2:48:12 PM
This thread as you may have learned from the title is for solo mappers to shoot the s***

There may be other threads supporting group play.

This is to encourage solo mappers who may rip/struggle with their build or just fatigue.

Turnip

96. 39% :p
Yeah, soloing is the way I want to stay. It feels so incredibly rewarding to know I got all of these levels on my own with no help from other peeps...

Plus, group play with my crazy COC build would not be a fun experience for anyone. I think Act with his Mjolner Discharge is in the same boat. :D

Although, I must admit I do now and then join a public Dried Lake run (not while grinding)...last one I did the "leader" said to me "make sure to try and keep up"...so although perhaps unintentional, I took this as a grave personal insult and proceeded to leave the party in the dust, take out most of the enemies and Voll as well. That's what I call Keepin' Up! :D

39%? Damn Turnip, you are bringing it!

I'm going to try for some equipment tweaks tonight...but I'm hoping I can sneak in a few hours of grinding after dinner. Hopefully Zana will have some good maps for sale. :)
Sorry, double post!
Last edited by SasoriOtoko on May 16, 2016, 4:02:15 PM
"
Turniphead2 wrote:

Bars - I'd love to know the visual cue, you say bearers have because I can't see it. The only visual cue I have is
a Small frame freeze, then a a nanosecond before I get the hell out.
The other day, I was on 0% after leveling, and was caught between two 2-headed dogs on springs. Bearers died around me and boom - RIP.
I

Sry for the late response. Bearers leave glowing spheres on the ground and the spheres explode after a few seconds. More than enough time. Are you confusing bearers for volatile blood?

storm bearers

flame beares

frost bearers
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info