[2.3 Video Guide] CoC, Quill Rain, INSANE DPS Assassin [HC/SC Viable]

im interested in this build, how does this build do in tier 10-15 maps though? As well as any thoughts on end game gearing options if currency was no object and you went all out?
Last edited by Selvam on Mar 19, 2016, 1:54:09 PM
"
Selvam wrote:
im interested in this build, how does this build do in tier 10-15 maps though? As well as any thoughts on end game gearing options if currency was no object and you went all out?

Probably a 6L Evasion chest (or Coil, maybe Kaoms). Corrupted +1 level gems for CoC to cast. Rat's nest helm.
I think I will really enjoy this build when it gets up to speed but I have some constructive criticism for the leveling process.

I am curious to know where the surviveability comes from while leveling. I was pretty fine until the later acts in Cruel. You state that the build is HC viable yet I feel extremely squishy in A4 Cruel compared to other builds I've tried. You take acrobatics early on which cuts our ES pool in half. I realize we are stacking evasion and dodge in this build but it doesn't feel like they are doing much while leveling and there is little mitigation when incoming hits actually land. From 1-50 I've had to reserve mana with clarity to sustain self-cast Spark with 3 links and even then I still run out of mana sometimes.

Also, you say to transition into CoC at level 50 by swapping in Tabula and Ungil's Harmony. While going CoC would increase throughput dps, I lose 100+ base life in the process due to losing the higher life rolls on rare amulets and chests. I also lose a lot of Intelligence which I had on my rare amulet to support the high int requirement on pretty much every higher level blue gem. I was forced to take one of the +30 Int nodes. Following your leveling skill trees in order, at level 50 I can't yet get Acuity, nor the jewel socket for Volley Fire, nor the King of the Kill bow crit nodes, all of which you say are needed before going CoC. This delays the transition until level 55 or so, not to mention the crit bow I found requires level 53. Taking the +30 int node to support Spark delays the transition even further.

Why isn't Arctic Armor or other defensive auras incorporated into this build? Also what do you think about replacing Temporal Chains with Enfeeble? I've noticed that usually when CWDT procs, the Temp Chains slows them but they often still manage to get at least another hit off. Enfeeble would greatly mitigate incoming damage and it's priceless for bosses.

I really like the build idea but it seems this is geared more toward SC than HC.
Last edited by rAx on Mar 19, 2016, 3:38:32 PM
"
rAx wrote:
I think I will really enjoy this build when it gets up to speed but I have some constructive criticism for the leveling process.

I am curious to know where the surviveability comes from while leveling. I was pretty fine until the later acts in Cruel. You state that the build is HC viable yet I feel extremely squishy in A4 Cruel compared to other builds I've tried. You take acrobatics early on which cuts our ES pool in half. I realize we are stacking evasion and dodge in this build but it doesn't feel like they are doing much while leveling and there is little mitigation when incoming hits actually land. From 1-50 I've had to reserve mana with clarity to sustain self-cast Spark with 3 links and even then I still run out of mana sometimes.

Also, you say to transition into CoC at level 50 by swapping in Tabula and Ungil's Harmony. While going CoC would increase throughput dps, I lose 100+ base life in the process due to losing the higher life rolls on rare amulets and chests. I also lose a lot of Intelligence which I had on my rare amulet to support the high int requirement on pretty much every higher level blue gem. I was forced to take one of the +30 Int nodes. Following your leveling skill trees in order, at level 50 I can't yet get Acuity, nor the jewel socket for Volley Fire, nor the King of the Kill bow crit nodes, all of which you say are needed before going CoC. This delays the transition until level 55 or so, not to mention the crit bow I found requires level 53. Taking the +30 int node to support Spark delays the transition even further.

Why isn't Arctic Armor or other defensive auras incorporated into this build? Also what do you think about replacing Temporal Chains with Enfeeble? I've noticed that usually when CWDT procs, the Temp Chains slows them but they often still manage to get at least another hit off. Enfeeble would greatly mitigate incoming damage and it's priceless for bosses.

I really like the build idea but it seems this is geared more toward SC than HC.

Honestly man, just focus on grabbing enough pure evasion gear and you should be fine. I had no issue myself and yes, I play in HC.

Speccing into CoC at early levels always comes at a cost - it is important to understand that you can simply wait until later if you feel more comfortable with that. Level 50 is simply the earliest I'd recommend considering it. If your gear requires you to be level 53 or 55 then that is totally fine - this is merely a guideline.

Enfeeble is a fine alternative to temp chains if you prefer.

The build is actually fairly tanky (compared to other bow builds) as long as you get that Lightning Coil :)
Weekly build guides: Youtube.com/LiftingNerdBro
Daily live streams: Twitch.tv/LiftingNerdBro
Friendly PoE community: Discord.gg/Lifting
"
Selvam wrote:

I never tried it in higher than tier 12 maps. The damage remains insane and clears stuff about as fast as in a tier 5 map, but unless you get that Lightning Coil your survivability will significantly decrease :)
is it cool if I use Artic Breath instead of Ethereal knives? cause with ethereal knives you have to kind of be near the mobs for it to deal dmg.

I have been trying out different gems and Im really liking artic breath..lvl 65 atm and Dried Lake is a joke for me but im kinda struggling to get int since I have to make my way to the witch side on the tree.

cant wait till I can start using quill rain but its a pain to get 2 blue sockets and 2 green lol im getting unlucky rng :p ill use it once i get the 2 power charge nodes and do the lab.
so how do you not get shit on reflect mobs or maps?
"
Honestly man, just focus on grabbing enough pure evasion gear and you should be fine. I had no issue myself and yes, I play in HC.

Speccing into CoC at early levels always comes at a cost - it is important to understand that you can simply wait until later if you feel more comfortable with that. Level 50 is simply the earliest I'd recommend considering it. If your gear requires you to be level 53 or 55 then that is totally fine - this is merely a guideline.

Enfeeble is a fine alternative to temp chains if you prefer.

The build is actually fairly tanky (compared to other bow builds) as long as you get that Lightning Coil :)

Reporting back in! Successfully transitioned into CoC and am loving it. Took a while to get used to the play style but even with a static 56% crit at level 68 it feels OP in Dried Lake. It was getting kind of crazy toward the end of self-cast Spark though. I was having mana issues but couldn't go CoC yet due to level requirements and being a little behind on the skill tree. You were right though, it was more viable to wait a few more levels after 50 before transitioning.

A few other issues/questions. I still feel squishy. I'm at about 3800 hp at level 68 and that's with 70+ life on everything. White bowmen adds in Dried Lake are taking me down to half health if I get hit by 2-3 of them at the same time which seems to happen frequently. That being said, I am still working my way to the last of the life nodes so that may help. Are there any budget alternatives for a big chunk of defense before getting a Lightning Coil? Maybe Arctic Armor?

Overall really nice build! Can't wait to Ascend and go Quill Rain.

Edit: Swapped in Enfeeble in place of Temp Chains and seemed to notice a significant surviveability improvement. Flat damage % reduction and crit mitigation is just too good!
Last edited by rAx on Mar 20, 2016, 6:06:59 AM
Rax, I'd suggest that instead of using Anger that you temporarily add in Grace. This should help a lot. Besides make sure to grab the recommended flasks as they make a significant difference!

Glad it is working now! :)
"
KasperskyLabs wrote:
is it cool if I use Artic Breath instead of Ethereal knives? cause with ethereal knives you have to kind of be near the mobs for it to deal dmg.

I have been trying out different gems and Im really liking artic breath..lvl 65 atm and Dried Lake is a joke for me but im kinda struggling to get int since I have to make my way to the witch side on the tree.

cant wait till I can start using quill rain but its a pain to get 2 blue sockets and 2 green lol im getting unlucky rng :p ill use it once i get the 2 power charge nodes and do the lab.

The beauty of this build is the insane projectile speed it gains, because of that you no longer need to be close to the monsters for EK to hit them. Until you get your Quill rain you can of course use Arctic breath if you prefer yes :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info