[2.4 Trickster] Grocery's Caustic Arrow Trickster Shadow! HC Viable!

I don't like Hyrri's over Coil because Coil is consistent. We have dodge/eva, which is incosistent but very good, so pairing it with coil is great for big hits. Hyrri's suffers from the issue of big hits.

It is a good option for cheaper prices though.
For my current builds, thoughts and videos.
youtube.com/andypistone
www.twitch.tv/GrocerySC
I am looking to improve my character (in standard) and would appreciate any advice. Currently an 84 Shadow with this tree:
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwYAAF4B0QMeBS0HHgguDY0OSA-rES8RlhNtFAkUdRa_GNsZihmOH0EhYCP2JIsmiCaVKaUqWysKLiM2PUMxQzZEnkkTSVFKfU2SUuxTu1uvXEBd8mHiYqxlTWqMbIx07XTxdZ51y3aCefZ67311h3aHy4ngjX2Nfo_6kx-TmZUulwabjZ2qoSKiQKLZo4qnm6_rsNi0xbTRtUi3MLe2u5674702vqe_1cLswzrEosgMyBTLvc8V037aweOf5ljmgepi62Ptg-4O73rw1fT49W_8xf66?accountName=Yogsothoz&characterName=MR_Pestilence

My gear isnt great (please ignore some of the random gems I an levelling) but I have capped resistances and close to 4.5k life, 17k armor. CA does 14k with the golem out and no Frenzy charges.

I am wondering how far off trying normal Atziri I am. I expect I have to:
* 6L my bow to get Slower Proj in the mix for DPS. This will take a while because I dont have a backup +3 bow to use while I fail to 6L it. Probably have to do it thru Vorici.
* Drop the Blood Dance boots for some more movement speed and life eva boots.

Should I be looking for a Lvl 3 Empower also? And could my tree be better? Any advice appreciated.
[Deleted, Grocery doesn't want contrarian views in his thread, any disagreements with his One True Approach, suggestions, or criticisms]
@BeerPact
Last edited by muir on Jan 14, 2016, 12:03:13 PM
Sweet build! I've been leveling past 90 with it and JUST now killed Uber! Hell of a long fight though, even with a few serious pieces of gear. (lots of nerves too) I think my sheet damage was around 32k. It is doable though, I can definitely confirm it! :D First time I've downed her!

I forgot to mention this was in standard

Thanks!
Last edited by Tiamat85 on Jan 12, 2016, 1:02:57 AM
Hey there, this is my 1st run doing the new CA, I've done PA til 95 on HC Darkshrines. The skill looks even more powerful with the Shadow tree and new gems - In the past I was Scion. I'm a level 82 Shadow right now. I'm wondering if you could guide me on gem preference tho.

Right now I'm using item rarity, and switch to Inc AOE when I need to clear faster. I might get a Rigwald's Quills but for now my Drillneck is doing just fine. I was curious, do you think it's better to use CA + empower + void manipulation -> Rapid Decay or Slower Proj? I obviously don't have a 6L yet and I'm not sure when I'll ever be able to link it, but until then..... Thank you ;)
Last edited by PDritty on Jan 12, 2016, 11:06:16 PM
"
muir wrote:
"
Grocery wrote:
I don't like Hyrri's over Coil because Coil is consistent. We have dodge/eva, which is incosistent but very good, so pairing it with coil is great for big hits. Hyrri's suffers from the issue of big hits.

It is a good option for cheaper prices though.

This is not hyrri's vs coil, it's hyrri's and 20k armour vs coil.

Just to elaborate on this a litte since it wasnt clear in prior post, my reasoning is that Lcoil+eva is only effective vs large physical dmg hits, and comparatively poor vs either non physical spells, high volume avg to small hits, and particularly in crit chance/multi maps.

Using the aforementioned calculator it can shown that 50/56 dodge and 20k armour is better in most (perhaps all?) circumstances than 40/46, coil, and ~50%eva. 40/46, coil, and 15-16k armour may be better again but im not entirely sure this would pan out in -max/crit scenarios where physical dmg shocking can occur, or under fire from spells or a barrage of shit, need to test more.

Bdy 5L'd my coil tonight so this may happen soonish.

Armour still suffers from the fact that it does not reduce as much vs big 1 shots. All I personally care about is 1 shots. EVA + Coil is the best for escaping 1 shots imo. I feel that the smaller quicker stuff you should not be dying to as you will be moving, so you should never be getting hit that many times.

Hyrri's + Armour is not bad and it is a good cheap option. Armour is good for smaller, quicker shots.

I think we are on the same page. You care more about smaller hits, I care more about larger hits.

youtube.com/andypistone
www.twitch.tv/GrocerySC
[Deleted, Grocery doesn't want contrarian views in his thread, any disagreements with his One True Approach, suggestions, or criticisms]
@BeerPact
Last edited by muir on Jan 14, 2016, 12:03:37 PM
"
muir wrote:
"
Grocery wrote:

Armour still suffers from the fact that it does not reduce as much vs big 1 shots. All I personally care about is 1 shots. EVA + Coil is the best for escaping 1 shots imo. I feel that the smaller quicker stuff you should not be dying to as you will be moving, so you should never be getting hit that many times.

Hyrri's + Armour is not bad and it is a good cheap option. Armour is good for smaller, quicker shots.

I think we are on the same page. You care more about smaller hits, I care more about larger hits.

People keep repeating this as some kind of axiom, however this is actually quite incorrect.

Having Enfeeble (I use blasphemy) and 22k armour offers greater mitigation than Enfeeble and LCoil up to approx 8000 of physical damage.

Source:

https://jsfiddle.net/1qpx41wm/4/embedded/result/

http://i.imgur.com/aDobm7s.png vs http://i.imgur.com/1G03VZJ.png

If you sit down for a minute with poedb and try to find the physical damage skills used by monsters that exceed this value, you will find there are exactly zero.

So the very argument lcoil proponents are so fond of is actually bunk. It requires you to factor in both evasion and dodge on top of coil to demonstrate better "EHP" over time, which inflects at around 2k physical attack damage.

Of course there are many more damage types in the game than physical, and non attacks vectors as well, which is where coil offers nothing of benefit in contrast with Hyrri's.

The numbers speak for themselves when looking at the physical damage levels of even hard rolled 82s. For instance, an average monster's physical damage on an extra damage map with crit multi, on a crit, would be approx 2k. Enfeeble + 22k armour mitigates this to 544 damage, whereas Enfeeble + Lightning coil mitigates this to 1043 with topaz flask up. Adding Endurance charges makes this difference even greater.

The mindless belief in lightning coil as a panacea for physical damage is truly overblown at this point.

Why would you use blasphemy on a Caustic Arrow character? You should not be close to mobs, ever, so it is a moot point. It is a giant waste of mana for something that will rarely be useful.

The argument of other damage is not a factor I am concerned with. Evasion is weak against physical damage. Phys Damage is the biggest issue with evasion. Hence why Coil is the go-to. I would guess that most evasion characters die from physical and not other sources and judging by the response from when Ondar's got nerfed, it was pretty obvious that it was the truth.

Now you are talking about endurance charges as well? This has nothing do to do with this build.

Endurance charges + Enfeeble + Blasphemy on a caustic arrow character is so far different from this build I am not even sure why we are talking about this.

How are you generating these charges?
How are you making blasphemy useful?
CA is good because you don't get near mobs and don't have to stand still.

Are there situations where coil is worse? Sure. But for a evasion based caustic arrow build? I'd say no.
youtube.com/andypistone
www.twitch.tv/GrocerySC
Last edited by Grocery on Jan 13, 2016, 4:02:13 PM
"
Grocery wrote:

Why would you use blasphemy on a Caustic Arrow character? You should not be close to mobs, ever, so it is a moot point. It is a giant waste of mana for something that will rarely be useful.

The argument of other damage is not a factor I am concerned with. Evasion is weak against physical damage. Phys Damage is the biggest issue with evasion. Hence why Coil is the go-to. I would guess that most evasion characters die from physical and not other sources and judging by the response from when Ondar's got nerfed, it was pretty obvious that it was the truth.

Now you are talking about endurance charges as well? This has nothing do to do with this build.

Endurance charges + Enfeeble + Blasphemy on a caustic arrow character is so far different from this build I am not even sure why we are talking about this.

Are there situations where coil is worse? Sure. But for a evasion based caustic arrow build? I'd say no.

You're clearly not reading/comprehending what I'm saying, and I don't feel you have substantial experience with HC, so I'll just stop posting to this thread to make things easier.
@BeerPact
Last edited by muir on Jan 13, 2016, 6:42:36 PM
"
muir wrote:
"
Grocery wrote:

You're clearly not reading/comprehending what I'm saying, and I don't feel you have substantial experience with HC, so I'll just stop posting to this thread to make things easier.

Great, sounds like you have no idea what this build is, probably best you leave.

You talk about something being better for big hits when it has endurance charges yet you have no generation of charges on your character. How do you not see this issue...

Are you around mobs a lot as CA? The only times something should be close is when A) You play like shit, which is hard to do with CA or B) some leaper mobs, which now have that little CD. How is Blasphemy useful here mate? You aren't even using it on your character lol.

You can start your own thread that uses Caustic Arrow, Blasphemy (lol), IR + Acro, and endurance charges that are not being generated.
youtube.com/andypistone
www.twitch.tv/GrocerySC
Last edited by Grocery on Jan 13, 2016, 9:00:49 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info