2.0.2e Patch Notes

Well you guys just fucked a build lol
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
Yup my build is completely destroyed

After reading about CoC frost wall KB build while awakening was in beta, I decided to make it on warbands. It then turned out to have been stealth nerfed between beta and release with no warning, so the build that worked on beta simply didn't work at all in 2.0.0 because frost walls weren't hit by kinetic blasts

Then sometime after 2.0.1, after weeks of saying nothing, GGG commented that it was due to an instance crash that needed a hotfix and would soon fix it. For the moment, kinetic blast was again enabled to hit frost walls, but would only pierce through one at a time due to the shotgun change, again, making the build still dead.

Then in 2.0.2, without any changelog indicating it, frost wall reverted to before the shotgun projectile change, and now all 5 GMP attacks of a KB would pierce and explode on each wall, as well as other projectile skills, so frost wall itself was silently changed. This reenabled the build, and made it stupidly overpowered. Again, no mention was made of this, players had to figure it out on their own.

But all along, since awakening went live, frost wall had the additional "power charge bypasses cooldown" change, introduced when it got a cooldown. This wasn't an issue until shotgunning off frost walls was reenabled since now you could produce exponential amounts of frost walls, and the cooldown change made it even STRONGER than in 1.3.0 when the build was first made. So now the build was stupidly strong, able to produce billions of frost walls in a few seconds, crashing clients and/or servers.

Then comes 2.0.2f, where in reaction to the crashfest, they removed the cooldown bypass from power charges, but didn't remove the cooldown.

Heres the kicker: From my testing and what other people have noticed, you guys actually got the wrong root of this problem. I can't confirm it without having access to your code, but I believe the power charge bypass effect was bypassing the cooldown on cast on critical strike, its 0.05 cd. Testing would show seemingly infinite amounts of frost walls being generated instantly, which was different from 1.3.0 where it had no native cooldown but couldn't bypass its CoC cooldown.

So GGG, if anyone is reading this, please confirm if this was the case, and try to salvage this build by restoring the ability to bypass frost walls cooldown with power charges, but NOT let it bypass the cooldown on trigger gems. And thus frost walls would no longer go infinite, you'd just be able to spawn a maximum of 20 per second for a few hundred or so concurrently at best even with duration gear.

This would let you preserve the changes that you guys originally planned out in awakening, which were logical and well done, and keep the builds based around them still functional and powerful, but not so ridiculous they would explode the servers with a click. A build that can do 20 frost walls per second is strong enough to clear lategame content easily. A build that can do 5^N frost walls per second nukes your servers.

Maybe I'm wrong, but seriously now, no fun allowed
Last edited by clan_iraq on Aug 31, 2015, 1:29:51 AM
Anyway I had *just* enough time to get off a quick example of the build pre-nerf

https://youtu.be/RSIarBGBOvQ
"
MollariGaming wrote:
"
Tin_Foil_Hat wrote:
No surprise someone who only plays MF summoner wouldnt know that though.

Lol what? Where the hell did you get that?

Edit: I pointed out how stupid he sounds when he thinks his build should somehow take priority over the server stability.

No... you presumed his build is "shitty" simply because you aren't effected by these changes, because you play an easy-mode-derp build.

See what I did there?
Frost wall is pretty useless right now. Everything goes through.
"
Hawkly wrote:
"
MollariGaming wrote:
"
Tin_Foil_Hat wrote:
No surprise someone who only plays MF summoner wouldnt know that though.

Lol what? Where the hell did you get that?

Edit: I pointed out how stupid he sounds when he thinks his build should somehow take priority over the server stability.

No... you presumed his build is "shitty" simply because you aren't effected by these changes, because you play an easy-mode-derp build.

See what I did there?

It did affect one of my builds though but I am not crying about it because I am not self centered enough to think that a minor inconvenience to me somehow trumps server stability for everyone. See what I did there?
IGN: @MollariFindsStuff
Livestream: twitch.tv/MollariGaming
http://www.Mollari.com
"
clan_iraq wrote:
Anyway I had *just* enough time to get off a quick example of the build pre-nerf

https://youtu.be/RSIarBGBOvQ

That's way more than the 20/sec casts you're meant to be able to do with COC, which means clan_iraq nailed it. Fix the interaction with power charge bypassing cooldown and restore the gem, GGG!
I hope the solution willt come with reprogramming so that the skill still functions as before but with a cap on allowed allocated resources instead of cooldown time.
All skills must have a built in protection against extreme resorce allocating.
plz, just reprogram the skill.
You will solve it, im sure.

If such protection isnt applied on the skills, it is strange this hasnt happened sooner.
To just add cooldowns to Frostwall will make the dupescums choose next skill who uses high resources.
You cant add cooldowns to all skills without destroying the game.
Cooldown time is not a good way of restricting the resources a skill takes.
One good way to do this might be to decrease the with of the wall if the skill is used rapidly.
So the with will be same until the skill is used rapidly and reaches a limit.
Then after the limit, the with of the wall start to decrease, more and more the often the skill is cast.
This way the resources cant runaway even if some mechanic is used to trigger the skill/spell very rapidly.
"
Mateo_swe wrote:
I hope the solution willt come with reprogramming so that the skill still functions as before but with a cap on allowed allocated resources instead of cooldown time.
All skills must have a built in protection against extreme resorce allocating.
plz, just reprogram the skill.
You will solve it, im sure.

If such protection isnt applied on the skills, it is strange this hasnt happened sooner.

That would also be a reasonable way to fix frost walls, if it turns out they actually were crashing instances even when limited to 20 per second. Either nerfing them in specific combination with trigger gems (Say 10 per second maximum?), or putting a hard cap on the number of frost walls you could have concurrently, say 50 frost walls at once or something like summon raging spirits

But I'd like to be sure that a change to CoC cd being bypassed wouldn't have averted this fiasco
"
Mateo_swe wrote:
cooldowns to Frostwall will make the dupescums choose next skill who uses high resources.
You cant add cooldowns to all skills without destroying the game.
Cooldown time is not a good way of restricting the resources a skill takes.

Cast on Crit builds use NO resources, so there is no way of 'restricting the resources'

Cast on Crit is the cancer of this game. killing it slowly, dumbing it down, creating bulds that make 'normal' builds look like duds, forcing skills that are DESIGNED to avoid being used with CoCS

this gem, Voll's amulet and Surgeon flasks are the Root Cause of most PoE stupid/broken/OP builds

Voll's amulet should not have been ever released, Cast on Crit should charge mana for spells (minimal amount but still) and Surgeons should be 'gain an Extra charge when killing with Crit'

unless all 3 are fixed/removed there will be builds that make poe look like a silly game without any balance or design integrity..

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info