We all trash talked D3, but is there any feature that D3 does better than PoE?

"
I think most people saying this either don't play D3 enough or don't realize it ends up exactly like PoE but sometimes much worse since every class has like 2-3 end game viable build and everyone wears the exact same shit using the exact same items with the exact same rolls, with the exact same passive and skill set up.

Thats however not something you can blaim the games for. It is simply because people want those 0,1% more effectiveness. As soon if something is just a tiny bit better than something else people will change to it and in D3 that is even worse since you can just reskill your char whenever you want, that's why most players end up with the exact same skills, passivs and items.

Thats something PoE actually does a lot better, since it makes you put a bit more thought into sticking with the potentially less efficient or investing into changing it to something slightly better. Also without GR-levels PoE doesn't have the same way of valueing your build. There are builds able to kill Atziri that are lackluster in high maps, due to being designed to kill her very cheaply, while builds clearing high maps might struggle with Atziri. There isn't such a precise benchmark for your character as there is in D3, which is a good thing.

"
What is fun about D3 though is their effects is much more shiny and combat feels like more visceral. It's also very easy and casual to get into although I wouldn't bother being competitive at it.

But it isn't really a good thing if that is what puts your game ahead, because not only is it something that changes very quickly, graphics that are good today might be bad tomorrow due to how quickly technic evolves. And it mainly shows how much higher the budget is. Not to mention that it is one of the biggest issues with D3 playing in groups with certain classes is impossible due to all the effects that gets spammed. That is one of the reasons why DH is so popular, dealing damage only matters if you do it without filling the screen with bright colors. PoE actually has a similar issue lately since they go for more and more animations without looking at if the game actually stays playable in a group.

For me it is actually quite the opposite if I start up good old Doom with one of the ports giving it modern controls it actually by far surpasses a lot of modern shooters. Yes the graphics are not up to date, but the gameplay is a lot better. The level design is really good, the controls are simple and fun and it is challanging. If a game has all this and the graphics are at least functional (iE they tell you exactly where to go, what to hit and where to not stand) players will play and enjoy it. A lot of recent Indi-Hits didn't really go for incredible graphics, since that isn't something they can do without big budgets. So they go for very functional graphics and use graphic mostly as a way to give information to the player, not so much to look pretty. PoE kinda fails at this, since it wants to look as good as D3 and it kinda loses track of being actually functional.

I don't need the bleeding hearts at Malachai (not to mention that they look terrible) or the bright flames of my totems, they simply either just put useless stress on lower end pcs or block vision of other potentially important things.

PoE as a "complete ARPG package" is superior to D3. Leaving out the technicalities (graphics engine, polished product), D3 does right:

1.) Adventure mode. Start game, play any content you wish / prefer, cause difficulty is scalable. PoE's repeat this same static questline for three times = stone age game design.

2.) Adjustable difficulty setting. PoE has static difficulty. Once you overlevel / overgear content X and higher more difficult content is not available to you (either because of RNG wall, expenses, etc..), you are forced to play yaaaawwnnnn faceroll snooze content. A "/players" setting would make grinding those 73s & 74s a lot less boring.

3.) Endless difficulty, non-RNG gated endgame. I don't think this needs much 'splaining.

If D3 had the character development depth of PoE, I'd leave and never look back. Similarily; drop the 16+ years outdated nostalgia game design + severely tone down RNG gating of content, and you have an absolute ARPG winner in PoE.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
Last edited by morbo on Aug 15, 2015, 3:29:03 AM
"
LostForm wrote:
the cube sounds like a decent response to the horrible idea of all account bound loot.

Horrible idea of all account bound loot? For me that is the best part when it comes to D3!
German saying: Schönheit und Funktionalität in Sekundenschnelle zu ruinieren, ist dem wahren Dilettanten keine Herausforderung!
torturo: "Though, I'm really concerned, knowing by practice the capabilities of the balance team."
top2000: "let me bend your rear for a moment exile"
"
Horrible idea of all account bound loot? For me that is the best part when it comes to D3!

And for me this is one of the main reasons i love POE.

Just the one tiny Item that drops that i could not use but would help one of my friends. So - in D3... "oh, he is not online/in group - tho i can trash that item and can´t help out"

At least this leads to the feel of playing Singleplayer in a group in D3. Interactivity in this way is almost 0.

In D3 you are indeed nearly forced to play "that one build" due to the Set Items which favors them.

Also i like the way classes are connected way more than in D3.

But at least - D3 really feels way more fluid. In the time i began playing POE i had a hard time to stick to it because of the beginner level "clunkyness". I think therefore many ppl start play and quit fast cos they don´t know that this will get better the later levels on.
The game engine of D3 is way better, playing a cyclone build in POE just feels so clunky and horrible compared to the lovely smoothness of the equivalent whirlwind barb in D3.

It's also nice to be able to play in a full group and get more than 5fps. Granted I don't have a top spec PC but there's really no reason why POE should perform so badly compared to D3 when it doesn't even look as nice playing on minimum settings.
To be honest, there wasn't anything I liked better about Diablo 3 than Path of Exile. Diablo 3 was one of the most disappointing games I've ever played.
The 352nd character to hit Level 100 in Standard
The 82nd character to hit Delve 1000 in Standard
"
tackle70 wrote:
To be honest, there wasn't anything I liked better about Diablo 3 than Path of Exile. Diablo 3 was one of the most disappointing games I've ever played.

Better game engine.
Gear drops for character level so you actually feel like you gain any decent drops.
No retarded endless sinkhole of currencies with no real reward.

Sure it was disappointing and awful, but PoE is in fact a pretty bad game when you analyze it aswell, but it's SOMEHOW the best ARPG on the market atm, but trust me on this one though, the second a decent D2 succeeder goes on the market, people will all leave PoE.
This game just doesn't reward the players for doing anything, it actually punishes you for using currencies, what's the fucking point. You're technically playing some dice-roll game.
Participated in the working of the Dyadus Avatar of Fire Templar:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/896505
"
Derpey wrote:
"
tackle70 wrote:

Better game engine.
Gear drops for character level so you actually feel like you gain any decent drops.

The game engine might be better but I hated everything they did with it. Nothing about it looked like a Diablo game; it was terrible.

I never felt like I was being rewarded in Diablo 3, ever. It just felt shallow and stupid and gave me no reason to care about anything happening.
"
tackle70 wrote:
"
Derpey wrote:
"
tackle70 wrote:

Better game engine.

The game engine might be better but I hated everything they did with it. Nothing about it looked like a Diablo game; it was terrible.

I never felt like I was being rewarded in Diablo 3, ever. It just felt shallow and stupid and gave me no reason to care about anything happening.

M8, I agree that D3 was a huge disappointment, but it doesn't change the fact that they did something WAY BETTER than GGG have done, and PoE have a shitload of faults that people are now starting to open their eyes to.
Participated in the working of the Dyadus Avatar of Fire Templar:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/896505
"
Derpey wrote:
opinion

I disagree. As I said, I don't think there's anything D3 does better than PoE.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info