Poe and cigarettes

"
ArkhaN wrote:
You just have to think Ok i will smoke on my next exalt drop not before.....
and your good :D

:D
I smoke while playing PoE, just like I smoke while doing most things in life. It's killed a couple of characters due to smoke getting in my eyes, but I enjoy it.
"
silverdash wrote:
I never understood this. Hardcore gamers from my experience either tend to:

A: smoke or eat a lot while gaming
B: forget to eat&drink (may lead to frequent dizziness due to water shortage).

If I just knew why some people are A and some are B... I'm type B. One of my friends is a real A. You can tell by his weight how much he has been gaming lately...

Type A is stress

Food and smoking are both sources of stress relief (Food because it's comforting to most, Smokes because getting a nicotine fix pulls withdrawal away. I've never smoked myself, so that's just situational observation of my father who smoked a LOT during his D2 days.)

Type B is those who get *incredibly* into a game.

I fit into both categories. Occasionally, it'll be A, other times, B.

My weight tends to fluctuate, a lot.
"You go on pretending that you own the universe,
And we'll all be here watching as you're falling down to Earth."
"
silverdash wrote:
I never understood this. Hardcore gamers from my experience either tend to:

A: smoke or eat a lot while gaming
B: forget to eat&drink (may lead to frequent dizziness due to water shortage).

If I just knew why some people are A and some are B... I'm type B. One of my friends is a real A. You can tell by his weight how much he has been gaming lately...

I have to put a bottle of water near me to not forget to drink sometimes, not just gaming but work also. For food - having a girlfriend helps a lot, since i eat pretty much only when we eat.
"
sketchzr wrote:

I'm not playing doctor, I'm telling OP there is an option he potentially doesn't know about, he would have to see a doctor to inquire about it. Under no circumstances would I imply he take any other route than that.

Sorry mate, i did not want to put you in a certain position. Even i thought the "scrap that" posting was quite off target, that was not right. My apologies.

But hey. As long as somebody gets happy with one method, everything is fine, i guess. I just think that those drugs are just meant to be the real last shot before quitting to quit forever ;)
The Sirus fight is a disgrace.
E-cigs might not be a healthy alternative. There is quite a bit of research coming out that they in fact might be more harmful than regular cigs!
Nicotine is certainly not "purely good", but then again, neither is caffeine which is pretty well obsessed-about in gamer circles. Both are stimulants that can cause heart problems on their own if excessively used.

And god forbid we talk about the harmful side effects of alcohol use.

If we're talking about actual downsides of smoking, nicotine isn't the culprit. It's the byproducts of combustion (burning) plant matter that are causing the cancer, the emphysema, the COPD, and so on. That smoke (containing all the burnt particulate matter) is also the source of the persistent smell, the ash coating on all of your property, the hundreds of little burn wounds and pock-marked shirts.

Getting away from all of that is the goal. Getting away from nicotine is nice in the same way that getting away from caffeine and alcohol is nice.

As for ecig studies, as with all things, read them with a grain of salt. New technology needs to be used correctly, and an electrical/liquid systems are a complex thing (and if you don't believe me, ask a plumber). Burning the wick is bad and bad for you. Not cleaning it out regularly can allow for bacterial growth, and breathing bacteria into your lungs is not wise.

I wouldn't tell anyone trying to quit to not try some approach. No one approach is universally useful. Some people need to be tricked into the right thing, and relying on willpower alone is a complete crapshoot.

Glad to hear the OP is having some early success with the gum and the patch. :)
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
Best of luck quitting... it's really really hard. It's the hardest thing you'll ever do. Surviving cancer is easy by comparison.

Take up scuba. You can't smoke underwater.

You need to change your life, you can't expect to live the same life and quit smoking. You can't have the same triggers around, the old habits, they need to go too.

I quit cold turkey over 2 years ago and it was easy for me.
I was a heavy smoker, but I managed to quit. You need to know a couple of things:

Probably you WILL fail the first time you try. But you need to keep trying until you're done. I tried to quit like 6 times (one time I didn't smoke for 6 months but with a little alcohol I got back).

Second, if you're a heavy smoker then you'll need to be absolutely clean. One cigarette it's enough to get you back to buying packs.

Third, expect the first month to be horrible (especially the first week). Up to month 3 it will be a little less unbearable, but still hard.

But if you manage to get past month eight, then you'll be on the safe zone. But, even me, who haven't smoked in 2 years, still think about smoking sometimes or even dream that I smoke. So you have to realize that if you have a great addiction to cigarettes you'll have to see and treat yourself like an alcoholic. Remember, if you keep smoking it will kill you, or will make your life miserable (my father lost a lung and a kidney due to smoking, and now needs dialysis). If you're are smart then you'll try and try until you succeed.

In the end, it will pay off. And you can spend the money you save on cigarettes on PoE! wonderful, isn't ?
Last edited by Neesh on Aug 5, 2015, 3:18:59 PM
I was a pouch and a half of filter-less rollies a day when I quit. First off gaming will only be a trigger if you allow it to be. I tried to stay focused that gaming was my release, it is my cigarette break. Try to play less stressful games for a short while. Maybe grand theft auto, or magicka something with humor and free style play. eat lots of fresh fruit even if it isnt your favorite thing. Fresh fruit will help your body clear toxins faster and will give you vitamins and sugar to improve your mood. I found drinking water helped me to and eating foods like celery and carrot sticks because I could hold them in my mouth like a smoke. I'm not going to lie and say it was easy, but I quit cold turkey with the methods I explained here. Its been 5 years and I still feel like I want a smoke really bad every now and again. i imagine it will never completely go away. keep it up fight the battle the first month is the hardest but it does get easier eventually. trying to focus on other stuff will help. if you need to calm down go to the off topic forums and explain your situation again (or just necro this thread) and I'm sure people will reach out to you for support. you can do this get out there and give em hell!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info