Lightning Warp

"
clan_iraq wrote:
Having played all the way through to 72 with my warp totem build, heres a few things I notice about lightning warp that could be improved:

*Casting lightning warp is ornery. It has to have a valid location over your cursor, or the skill will fail to do anything and your character will just stand there. Given how easily disrupted this is, you have to swing your cursor around like a mad man or take very conservative hops if you want to warp multiple times in a row. This should be improved- make lightning warp take the closest valid location to where its aimed, not the exact coordinate only if its valid. Ie you try to warp past a wall, it warps you to the edge of hte wall. The minimum range already does this, so why not the collision too?

*Casting lightning warp at long range often fails. The warp animation plays and you see it and hear it, but even without your character being interrupted mid cast, it will just not work. No damage, no movement.

I've noticed a lot of instances of warp failure like this. Somehow this skill creates lag, and it's quite effective at getting me killed.

I use it both for escape and attack. My primary character is a minion/aura/lightning/claw/reave-centered witch. I support Lightning Warp with Increased AoE, Curse on Hit, and Conductivity. As this combo levels, I find it more and more highly effective at killing things, but it's terrible for escaping. More than half the time I try to escape, the lightning warp appears to fire off but I am left at the original location for about two to three seconds. The game still treats me as being there, and often I'll end up dying, my corpse soon blinking over to the target location. If that doesn't kill me, the ensuing confusion often does.
as above, for lightning warp to be extremely effective (from my experience atleast) in escaping is to use reduced duration, should teleport you to the location faster than without, especially when leveled..

I've been currently diving into a remote mine - lightning warp build, and kinda having problems with the minimum teleport distance, since I don't use totems, I'm usually the target, and since I lay mines underneath me, i usually get to hit the surrounding creatures once. I'd need a high leveled increase AoE for it to hit some nearby creatures.

I'd personally like the minimum teleport distance to be shortened by abit, so atleast.. maybe with a mid leveled increase AoE its possible to get 2 hits more consistently.
The only skill linked to my lightning warp is reduced duration. I've been noticing that there are times when I cast the spell, the animation shows as if I am warping but I stay in place. Second death I've experienced because of it. Playing on Nemesis, its extremely frustrating. all my characters have used this skill up to date, think I'll be staying away from it if I do decide to level another HC character until theres some kind of fix for this
Last edited by Rai on Dec 23, 2013, 3:35:04 PM
Why does lightning warp not give movement damage over time effects from puncture? It is a movement gem, it even works off of movement speed, so why would it not apply the damage while moving?

Also, If Lightning warp is not intended to increase your movement speed, why does reduce duration make you move faster than you could run. Tested this in pvp a few times, I can be out run by a caster with lightning warp and reduced duration, who could never come close to catch me running normally. I understand you said movement speed is what it scales off of, but I am thinking perhaps the reduce duration gem is working with that to make you even faster.
Dublicious
It doesn't trigger Movement-related effects because, for the most part, you're not moving. That ought to be pretty damn obvious. The actual time spent moving is below a fraction of a second, as one might expect from a teleport.

Lightning Warp has a Duration based on how long it takes for the caster to normally walk to the destination. As is often the case, the Duration is affected by Duration modifiers.

Lightning Warp is based on Movespeed - that doesn't mean it equals Movespeed. Movespeed is simply a factor in how it works, that's all. There's no other relation.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
The cast time is short, but the spell doesn't teleport you immediately when cast, it just sets up a marker at the target location. The delay between casting the spell and the teleport going of is based on how fast it would take you to move there - yes this is intentional, the skill is not intended to let you move more quickly around the map than by walking (except in specific cases like getting around obstacles).

If it is not intended to let you move more quickly than walking, then why does lightning warp and reduce duration let you move more quickly than walking?
Dublicious
I'm quite sure that post you quoted is really old, from before Warp had a modifiable Duration. The role that Warp fulfills now is different.
I have experimented around with a 6link staff with +2 lightning gems in a link with:

Lightning warp
+
trap
+
multi-trap
+
added lightning damage
+
concentrated effect
+
Increased area of effect

The damage is great but the lightning warps seem to miss all the time, even with all the radius nodes in the passive tree. I don't have carcass jack, but imho it feels like the warps just don't aim properly.

I really wish there was some way to make lightning warp builds viable because I love it to death. Would be neat to see some kind of corrupted version with tracking, so that both traps and mines would actively track moving targets. That'd just drive me nuts...or some kind of corrupted trap//multi-trap that would make your traps regen fast enough so that you didn't have to wait to toss more.

Maybe they'd consider that too imbalanced but imo the combo isn't up to snuff with other skills. I really want to make a viable lightning warp build.
Or make the corrupted version come down twice, for a total of 3 hits. Yessssssssssssss. :D
Your minions really should teleport with you.
Then finally you could control your minions at least a little bit and you dont stay alone and vulnerable ready to die.

Teleport was the only thing that made summoner really viable in D2 becasue you could concentrate your minions and they weren lagging behind leaving you vulnerable. without it you are just so much worse in terms of killspeed and movement than other caster, 2H leap slammer, Ficker guys or whiling blade users...

Or is it intended that your minions do whatever they want with an insanely stupid AI? I saw it last time at piety again. I was the only one who shot and followed her desperately trying to get the stupid minions to her^^

I mean it âlso is the only movement skill wich works with wands.. so it should work for summoners too shouldnt it?

I also agree that it would be nice if it works as dmg skill too, then maybe the +2 to movement speed gem unique armore wouldnt be as useless as it is now^^
Last edited by azraelb on Mar 11, 2014, 11:48:27 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info