Double Strike

Unavailable

Post your 0.9.4 feedback for this skill here.

Make sure you concisely state your character build, level, and other complimenting abilities you have when you talk about a skill - The more we know about your character, the better we can understand your feedback.
Balance & Design
Last edited by Jess_GGG on Jun 7, 2018, 9:31:43 PM
Last bumped on Jun 7, 2018, 9:32:08 PM
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
This gem is very powerfull on my level 25 default league Templar. I have skilled the templar as a marauder with a lot of armour-increase and with some staff-bonuses.

He is using a war staff(lvl 17) as weapon and a level 2 Double Strike gem.å

It is missing the extra damage a lot and moving opponents is just a no-go as it misses the target almost always. However, on melee and especially rares, it is one of the best abilities I have tried. I see it scale very well for any melee class and the bonus to physical damage on it could easily be significant later in the game. The requirements on dex seems pretty steep though.
I appear to be living in "Romance Standard Time". That has to be good! :)
This has been the main single-target attack on Proven_Paradox_III since level 30 or so. 2hand tank-ish HC Marauder as I've mentioned in other threads, now level 61 and in retirement. I absolutely love it. Heavy Strike does better single hit damage and stuns, but the knockback is actually a problem for me since I have to step forward to get the next hit in. Double Strike deals with this beautifully, doing comparable damage without the knockback. That the damage is spread over two hits means it's not likely to stun, but I can live with that. I've linked this to IAS, IPD, and AFD supports and it just rips things up.

That said, I think the DPS calculator on this is bugged. I've observed this doing MUCH better single target DPS than Cleave, but the DPS on the character sheet is listed slightly lower.

Full gem setup:

Double Strike 15->Faster Attacks 15->Added Fire Damage 15->Melee Phyiscal Damage 15
DPS displayed: 2735.1

Cleave 15->Added Fire Damage (9%) 15->Life Gain on Hit 15
DPS displayed: 2785.4

I was discussing this with someone earlier who suggested that maybe what's going on is that DS is being displayed with only one attack, but that doesn't quite add up. DS is doing significantly more single target DPS than Cleave, but I wouldn't say it's doing TWICE as much. Something to look into I guess?

I haven't had significant trouble meeting the dex requirement on this. I was -about- to be, but I recently acquired a weapon with +32 dex and much better DPS than what I had been using before, so all concerns regarding that requirement vanished.
Last edited by Proven_Paradox on Dec 12, 2011, 9:58:43 AM
The DPS display assumes that an attack will be like a normal attack - it'll hit once, and only use one weapon at a time. It's a known bug that it will only account for one hit of double strike, and won't factor in that dual strike and cleave hit with both weapons rather than just one when dual wielding.
How exactly does this skill work when dual wielding?

Assuming 2 identical weapons, will it just do double the damage per hit, compared to single target attacks? (but with the +attack speed bonus from dual wielding)
"
Psyklone wrote:
Assuming 2 identical weapons, will it just do double the damage per hit, compared to single target attacks? (but with the +attack speed bonus from dual wielding)
It only uses the main hand weapon.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Dec 17, 2011, 4:43:22 PM
0.9.5 feedback below this post

I have been using double strike since about level 15 this patch and it was doing quite well. I am a dual wield duelist and the only thing affecting me is the lack of dps compared to dual strike. Right now dual strike is doing around 541 dps(without supports) while double strike is 415(without supports). This is obviously understandable as dual strike's base -30% damage reduction goes away with time. I think this would be a great idea to do with double strike as well so as to balance these two single target attacks because honestly I prefer double strike over dual strike for the visual appeal.
Using this as a 2hm Marauder as soon as I hit 19 was less than impressed. Quickly went back to heavy strike as my full time single target attack.

The damage penalty seems a bit severe.
This seems very lackluster compared to Flicker Strike, not in terms of visuals, but the damage is overall lower. Flicker does 40% more damage which makes it on par but synergizes with frenzy, this has no synergies, and slower damage growth.

They both only use main hand weapons. Why make this worse? I think a buff is in order. They cost relatively the same amount of mana as well, and this has none of the utilities that flicker does (teleporting and not getting surrounded easily)
-Meteoric Destiny!
Last edited by MDragoon on Jan 15, 2012, 5:43:46 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info