Cleave

"
Ixar wrote:
When Cleaving while Dual Wielding, I know that you strike with both weapons at once, and that both can hit, both miss, or one can miss and one hits. Does this mean a single Cleave counts as two hits for +life on hit modifiers?
No. Both weapons calculate damage (if they hit), and one hit is applied combining both sets of damage if both hit, same as dual strike. You hit once, but that hit deals both weapon's damage.
"
Ixar wrote:
Similarly, does this mean +elemental dmg modifiers (like from Wrath or Anger auras) stack twice?
Each weapon will have the added damage, so if both hit, then you'll get that added damage twice in the combined damage.

"
Ixar wrote:
Is it also correct to assume crits on DW Cleave are calculated twice per swing, or does it work like Double Strike where if the first hit crits, the second hit also crits?
Crits are always rolled once per skill use, for all skills.

"
Ixar wrote:
Last, Cleave has a physical dmg penalty when Dual Wielding, but this penalty does not apply to +flat elemental damage (such as those gained through auras and equipment). Is this working as intended?
Currently it's intended. This gives Cleave a significant extra bonus for elemental damage when dual wielding.

"
Ixar wrote:
Is it also correct to assume then that both the physical and elemental portion of converted elemental dmg is penalized while Dual Wielding with Cleave?
Converted damage is always affected by modifiers to either the type converted to or the type converted from.
Thanks Mark for the clarifications regarding the mechanics of Cleave. Cleave is a lot more complex than it first appears!

"
Mark_GGG wrote:

From what I've gathered, many people have taken a liking to ground slam from watching Kripp use it, but people are still using and enjoying Cleave, and it's still good at what it does. It has shorter range, but wider spread, making it much better than ground slam when you're surrounded.

GS has been superior long before Kripp was even in the picture.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Both weapons calculate damage (if they hit), and one hit is applied combining both sets of damage if both hit, same as dual strike. You hit once, but that hit deals both weapon's damage.

So does that mean that those attacks effectively allow bypassing armor by landing fewer, harder hits?
Not that there was much armor on mobs.
Damn, i want that for dual wands.^^
Zaanus:
Global chat: Mechanics for A work one way, B for another, C for a third but also with A, B uses C but not A, and D uses A&B but not C

___
Isn't a "no" better than an ignore?
"
UnDeaD_CyBorG wrote:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Both weapons calculate damage (if they hit), and one hit is applied combining both sets of damage if both hit, same as dual strike. You hit once, but that hit deals both weapon's damage.

Damn, i want that for dual wands.^^

Cleave doesn't make much sense for wands, but Dual Strike would be an incredible option, as the mechanics would make great use of the wand elemental damage tech we have at our disposal.

Edit: Off topic, but as an after thought, it actually seems like the wand portion of the Witch tree was designed to be used with Dual Strike. Shame it's not available as a wand skill ;)
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
Last edited by CanHasPants on Jan 16, 2013, 10:43:55 AM
Personal feedback about this skill after extensive usage:

- It's inferior to all other AoE skills for 2 reasons:
1. Mana cost is high for a starting skill
2. Mana cost increase per level is out of sync
3. Damage effectiveness of 70% really debilitates the skill's effectiveness

Compared with Dual Strike or Double Strike, this skill leaves a lot to be desired.

1. 9 mana cost per skill for a lvl 1 requirement skill is a lot. Personally I wouldn't mind the mana cost IF the skill wasn't as weak as it is now, with a 70% damage effectiveness.

2. After lvl 1, the skill immediately jumps in mana cost to 10 mana at lvl 2...??? Why, out of all the melee skills, should such treatment be given?

3. 70% damage effectiveness means more hits needed to kill, but compounded with disproportionate rising mana costs, it makes it less effective compared to some other AoE melee skills.

I understand that drawing relationships with other sword skills or AoE melee skills can be a bit tenuous, but if a comparison had to be made, comparing Cleave with Dual Strike and Double Strike than to 2hander skills like Ground Slam and Sweep is more apt.

One thing can be done is to keep the 9 mana cost at lvl 1, but let it remain 9 mana for the next 3 levels. So something like this:

Lvl - mana
1 - 9
2 - 9
3 - 9
4 - 10
5 - 10
6 - 10
7 - 10
8 - 11
9 - 11
10 - 11
11 - 11
12 - 12
13 - 12
14 - 12
15 - 12
16 - 13
17 - 13
18 - 13
19 - 13
20 - 14

This will help keep mana management manageable until Blood Magic can be attained while being reasonable.
For Ranger build tips, tactics, and critiques, visit this thread:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/69224
Last edited by Islidox on Jan 16, 2013, 11:48:07 AM
All area skills have a reduced damage effectiveness, it is necessary for them to be balanced.

And the reduced physical damage while dual wielding can be overcome by just leveling the gem.

But i do agree the mana cost progression is a bit off, that stays a number for 3 levels seems nice, gives people time to get gear and adjust passives for the next time it levels thus keeping it sustainable.
I carve and sell real animal skulls, check out my work here: https://www.instagram.com/victorseiche/
https://www.facebook.com/victorseicheart/
World first Uber Atziri as 2h and 2h RT build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1058950
Highest level char in Closed Beta, Wytchfindergeneral
"
VictorDoom wrote:
All area skills have a reduced damage effectiveness, it is necessary for them to be balanced.

And the reduced physical damage while dual wielding can be overcome by just leveling the gem.

But i do agree the mana cost progression is a bit off, that stays a number for 3 levels seems nice, gives people time to get gear and adjust passives for the next time it levels thus keeping it sustainable.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing that 70% damage effectiveness upped to 75%, or even 80%. While not dealing the same damage a single-target skill would do, it's be marginally more effective and being able to get more bang for buck without overpowering it. This goes for any AoE skill, not just Cleave. Cleave I wanted to point out because because it's main issue is its wonky (read: unbalanced) mana progression per level.
Why are you comparing an aoe skill to single target skills Islidox O_o
Last edited by Slanderbot on Jan 17, 2013, 4:58:38 PM
"
Slanderbot wrote:
Why are you comparing an aoe skill to single target skills Islidox O_o

Ground Slam and Sweep use different weapons than cleave, and 2hand maces and staves are not known for overwhelming speed. Skills like Double Strike, Dual Strike, and Cleave are associated with axes and swords and attack speed. The mana usage is obviously greater and more comparable in this case than GS/LSlam. Lightning Strike is something different altogether.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info